"She's a FISH Killer!"

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the quote from "Finding Nemo," but I have heard it the last two days from my husband (he really is joking and trying to cheer me up!). :-\ I just got 5 otos yesterday. They arrived at Petco on Tuesday, and were in a q tank there. The gal who worked there told me this, but said that the otos were fine (they were in with Mollys that were under observation). I told her that they would have their own tank, so I would take the risk and get them (which is my fault). Well, obviously they weren't so well themselves as 2 have died already, and I can't find the 3rd (could be burrowed in the rocks?). The two remaining are holding on, and I took out the carbon filter and am medicating them. (Oh, FYI--tank IS cycled, water is 0 Nitrites, ) Ammonia & 15 Nitrates--yes I have live plants--and pH is 7.4. So water is good.) I know it's probably just where I get them & this area (we've been really cold lately, so anything shipped here runs the risk of being too cold--Petco isn't even getting any bettas in because of the cold here!), but I am getting so frustrated by dying otos. Please send good thoughts my way so that my remaining 2 will live!!

Thanks for listening.
Sharon

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good thought are being sent your way as I type. Otos go through so much when they are caught that very few survive and the ones that do aren't in real good shape. I don't buy Otos until the store has had them for about two weeks. the ones that remain will be ok. Have you looked here to see where they live and how their caught? www.otocinclus.com
Our Petco here is really good with their fish and the tanks are always clean.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh I am so sorry, I thought they might make it. I tried to order some from LiveAquaria.com and they are out again.

I send special good thoughts and prayers for you and your little ones and a pox on the people who are not taking care of these little darlings. They are such sweet fish and It makes me so sad that they are so mistreated.

Rose
:'(

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just replied to the other thread, too! I have one llittle guy left, and I pray he makes it!!! (His friend died tonight.) I won't give up on him, but if he is too sick, I still won't give up on Otos!! (Even though my husband seems to think I need a pleco instead--I tell him that they get way too big for a 10 gal!!) Thank you so much for the sweet thoughts!
Sharon

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So... did the last little guy make it?? :-\

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
do you have any liquid vitamins or novaqua+ to add to the tank for the oto?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This thread is five months old but I too would like to know if the last one made it.
Carol

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: "She's a FISH Killer!" And NEW question about algae

Sorry for taking so long to reply--I haven't visited in a while. YES the last one made it!!! And over time (and with quarantine!), I got him 3 more friends. So now I have 4 happy, healthy otos with fat little bellies!! (I SWEAR 2 of them may be pregnant!) Here is the thread with pictures even!! They live in a 10 gallon tank with my betta Simon. But there's an awful lot of green algae on the rocks, caves & tank walls. I see them eat. I haven't supplemented with algae wafers for a while. I gave them a spinach leaf a couple weeks ago, otherwise they are eating algae. You'd think with 4 of them, it would be SPOTLESS! Any advice?

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh that's great, MamaM. I've prepared some standard info on otos now (), seen as everybody's seem to be dying and I've had a few scares myself so it got me reading on them. I guess you don't need it now, though, as it's aimed as would-be oto owners. If you'd like, it would be great to get your own oto-related tips and tricks on that thread. Am sure you have loads of tips to share seen as your otos are now doing really well!

Oh, and if she's square like a box, your female may well be pregnant. Keep an eye out for these eggs! I've got an account of my oto mating adventures on here if you're interested: .

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is awesome info--thanks so much for taking the time to post it. I have had such struggles with otos. My first two died when something was affecting my danios in my first tank, and then the 4 referenced early in this thread. But the one little guy (gal?) survived, and his 3 friends survived and they are great!! I got them a new plant that 3 of them love to lay on, and need to add one more this weekend. They don't seem to mind Simon the betta, and appear to like having another fish around them. I LOVE these fish--they are my absolute favorite!!! My biggest advice is to quarantine them for 2 weeks, then acclimate slowly & really just leave them alone!! I clean once/twice a week, otherwise I don't mess with anything inside the tank. I do add a frozen spinach leaf for something different (freeze the bag of baby spinach, then take one out & thaw a little and stick it in with a veggie clip to weigh it down...they LOVE it!). They're even "coming out" during the daytime more now and not as skittish when my kids (2 preschoolers) or I come up to look at them. They are great little fish and when handled with TLC they will do great!

Oh, and she is a little boxlike...I'll watch for behavior and remove Simon if I suspect babies!!

Sharon

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Wow! Would be awesome if she was pregnant!

I'll add your advice/tips to the oto caresheet. Let me know if you mind and I'll remove.

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't mind at all. l

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom