Shelving Unit For A Stand?

1. AquaTaka Initiate Member

I had a question about these shelving units.

Edsal 60 in. H x 36 in. W x 18 in. D 4-Shelf Steel Commercial Shelving Unit in Gray-UR361860 - The Home Depot

Or

Shop Style Selections 53-in H x 35.7-in W x 14-in D 4-Tier Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit at Lowes.com

My room doesn't have much space to work with for putting tanks up and the dimensions of these shelving units would fit perfectly on one of my walls next to my desk. I was wondering if anyone has tried to use one of these types of racks and would they be able to hold a 20 and a 15 gallon tank?

2. James17 Well Known Member Member

The first one I would not use, that particle board shelf will die with every drop of water.
    The stainless one would probably not work because these shelves and I have several commercial ones bend in the middle a little, and I think the tank would eventually break.

3. Rachel K Member Member

This definitely isn't something worth risking, but you can buy an aquarium rack or even build one yourself. There are tons of guides online for these kind of things, but I would recommend leaving the tanks filled on the rack for a week without fish and making sure that absolutely everything is level and continues to be level.

4. AquaTaka Initiate Member

Thanks for the response, for the first one if I were to replace the particle board with a sheet of plywood and coat it with a product to waterproof it would this help?
    That's what I was worried about with the stainless one, I've heard of people putting plywood underneath to help. Do you think this would help or would there still be some type of bowing over time?

5. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Yeah, neither of those look sturdy enough. Looks like the first one has a weight capacity of 500lbs and the second 350lbs per shelf? I think you probably want at least a 2X safety factor, 3X would be better. So, 250lbs and 175 lbs.

For the first say you have a foot deep tank covering the whole thing, that's 264 lbs just of water. More like 300 once you include the tank and any media, lights etc.

But if you're talking only a 15 or 20 gallon tank, as long as you protect the MDF I think the first one should be ok, but not ideal. Polyurethane it?

6. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I would not trust either. Your looking at approx. 170 lbs for the 15 gal and approx. 220 lbs for the 20 gal.

7. AquaTaka Initiate Member

I was looking into an aquarium rack, but most of them had reviews of the bottom shelf having limited space and making it harder to clean for the bottom tank. As for building an aquarium rack is probably my last option just cause of sizing (it would be a very tight squeeze between my wall and desk) and every time I've tried to build something it has not gone so well haha. I'll definitely keep the tanks on the rack for a week to make sure there are no hiccups, thank you for your response.

8. AquaTaka Initiate Member

Thanks for the response. Okay so the stainless one is out, however they do make one that can hold max capacity weight of 500 lbs with about the same dimensions as the first one, but I don't know if that would be any better with the bowing over time. For the 20 Gallon I was estimating it would weigh up to 330 lbs at most (just to be on the safe side) and the 15 I'm using as a QT for now and maybe start stocking it over time later, so at most it would weigh like 215 lbs. Okay cool and yeah that's what I was thinking.