Shellie's

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

I have a question. Do I need a sponge filter for my shell dweller tank with multis I will be setting up? Much rather not waste money...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Slug Well Known Member Member

You don't need it, depending of course on other filtration already on the tank.

3. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

You do need a filter, but it doesn't have to be a sponge filter. I think a HOB filter would actually be better than a sponge filter in a Shellie tank because the area on the bottom is important to the fish as they live in the shells and whatnot.
    Do you have any filters in it yet? What's the tanks status as of now(fish in it, substrate and water in it, empty, are you just doing research)?

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What is your concern with the filter? Shellies are going to breed... quite a lot. You want to make sure that fry can't be sucked into the filter, so that means either a sponge filter or a foam pad over the filter intake which is going to slow the flow considerably. Personally, I use sponge filters in most of my tanks in place of HOBs, partly because most of my tanks are wild betta tanks, and partly because even with my livebearers, I have had fry get sucked into HOB filters.

The main thing is, you want what keeps your water clean. A sponge filter will work great for this, and you won't have issues with your filter eating your fry.

5. Fishboy123 Member Member

Ok I haven't set it up but I will be soon. Hoping to use the aqueon 50. I was just wondering that if multis bred and made fry would I need a sponge filter. Sorry for not clarifying earlier

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They will breed, and you will have fry. Honestly you can get a sponge filter and air pump for under 20 bucks so if that's what you need, it's worth a few dollars ;)

7. Fishboy123 Member Member

Ok

8. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

your other option is getting the Aqueon 50 and adding a prefilter.

9. Fishboy123 Member Member

That's my plan