Shellies in a 5 gallon?

flopperfrog

would you be able to keep shellies in a 5 gallon? or rather, one shell dweller? or do they have to be together?

MacZ

They are colony breeders and with a pair you would populate a 20 gallon to the limit within 3 months. They are not schooling fish, but definitely social fish. Keeping one alone is all but advisable.

flopperfrog

MacZ said:
They are colony breeders and with a pair you would populate a 20 gallon to the limit within 3 months. They are not schooling fish, but definitely social fish. Keeping one alone is all but advisable.
ah, i see. are shrimp and snails all you can keep in a 5 gallon? besides bettas ofc

AggressiveAquatics

flopperfrog said:
ah, i see. are shrimp and snails all you can keep in a 5 gallon? besides bettas ofc
Not necessarily. You could do 1 dwarf crayfish or a clown killi

MacZ

AggressiveAquatics said:
clown killi
I'd keep those also in a group, honestly.

I see a 5 gallon as not fit for any fish, I personally would draw the line with inverts.

flopperfrog

MacZ said:

I see a 5 gallon as not fit for any fish, I personally would draw the line with inverts.
would african dwarf frogs be suitable?
MacZ said:

would african dwarf frogs be suitable

MacZ

flopperfrog said:
would african dwarf frogs be suitable?
Those are bigger than any fish named up to this point. Scratch vertebrates in such a small tank. The smaller the tank the harder it gets to keep everything stable. Shrimp, snails, dwarf crayfish, maybe a betta. That's all that works in a 5 gallon.
People might say different things, but let's face it, especially people with little experience tend to underestimate the tank size necessary to keep certain animals and some here on the forum are really creative and motivated to give stocking ideas... sadly often without keeping the tank size in mind.

Latest threads

Top Bottom