Shell Rot And Salt Baths

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi!

So I noticed brown spots on my crayfish a couple of weeks ago, mainly on his claws. First I did not think too much of it but as it became worse I saw it looked like his outer shell got eaten up slowly. I did some research and I'm pretty sure it's shell rot.

I used the salt bath method on this website http://thecrayfish.forumotion.net/t34-shell-rot-treatment
and within a minute my crayfish started to shiver as if he had a seizure or something. He curled up and I became really worried so I took him out again and put him in his tank... Now I can safely say this attempt at treating him failed. He's still alive but just sitting in a corner without any movement.

Is there someone here who has experience with salt baths for crayfish? was the 35 grams salt in a liter too much? I really want to safe my little guy but I can't find anything on the internet exept these instructions which nearly killed my cray...

I really hope someone can help me out here because right now I don't know how to continue this.

Cheers,

Kevin

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Kevin what your describing sounds like Rust spot/black spot, there are quite a few names for this disease but need a picture of you cray to confirm,and take it from there

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ive just rebooted again and still no pictures just a big white space this is on my phone laptop and home computer

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, the forum is still having a few glitches with images at the moment. They seem to work sometimes leaving them as an attachment not full images, I’ve edited your post & looks like the images are showing now.

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can see the picture now right? Brown spots on both claws and it's now also starting around his head and under his belly. On his right claw you can see a piece of it's outer shell missing like something took a bite out of it. if you need more pictures let me know.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the more pictures the better but to start a big water change75% is needed if not already done and then normal changes every couple of days, did you use aquarium salt for the dip and stupid question did you leave the water cool after mixing the salt? can you get old of Lavamisole this is a case of slowing up things until the next molt as you cant afford the inner new shell fusing with the outer, and as there's no known cure it you need to slow things up

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm doing a water change as we speak. I just used regular table salt as I read that the type of salt doesn't matter much. I did let the water cool after mixing the salt but it was a bit warmer still than the aquariumwater so that might've contributed to his weird behaviour too.

Lavamisole is used to treat parasitic worm infections in humans and I know it is sometimes used for dermatologic fungi on the skin but are you sure it works for crayfish?

I haven't seen my crayfish molt for at least 6-7 months which is also peculiar since he's only around a year old.

I'll keep doing water changes. Could you explain to me how you would do the salt bath? I mainly need to know the concentration of salt needed.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
first of all i think it makes a difference to the salt, its iodine in table salt thats the problm for shrimp and as a crayfisy is a crustacean id do the same that's my opinion and would not use table salt for any aquatic animal, Lavamisole HLC is used in animals as a de-wormer, what your dealing with is a bacterial disease and Lavamisole is proven to halt severe cases and in some first stage pitting in shrimp it as have been cleared, this is the road id go down but its up to you, the only time i would salt bath would be for parasites like Vorticella ive never had the case to dip crayfish
but ide mix the same as shrimp 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt to one cup of aquarium water

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom