Shell looks weird on my apple snail

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi. My apple snail Gary shell looks all weird now. He has cracks on his shell and I have no idea why. Can someone help and tell me the problem so I can fix it? Thanks. I'm assuming thathe probably doesn't have enough calcium in him so just curious.

Heres a picture of his shell how it looks so far:

685.jpg

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The pic isn't loading for me.

Edit: no wait, it just took a long time. Never mind! I saw in another post someone mentioned putting a cleaned egg shell in the tank and letting it dissolve to help with calcium content in the tank. Sounds like it couldn't hurt.

Also, I think it's sort of funny that the cracks look specifically like scoring. It immediately makes me think that he's planning some Shawshank plot to escape.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
^lol....Egg shells?? I feed him a Hikari sinking wafers and I was wondering if he can eat thoughs.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep, egg shells. See Ken's post (#5) in this thread:

Also I found these older threads:

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh okay. I also read they like zucchini too. How I would prepare the Zucchini and stuf? The last tim,e I gave zucchini, the fish weren't really interested.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you just blanch or boil it to soften it up. Blanching means you drop it in boiling water for a little bit (30 seconds, 1 minute) and then drop it in cold water to stop the cooking process. For human consumption, it cooks veggies but doesn't soften them disgustingly. For fish/snails, I'm not sure what blanching really does over boiling. My guess would be that you could probably also just microwave it in water or with water, but that's just a guess.

If they don't sink to the bottom after blanching/boiling, people spear them with plant weights, use clips, tie them to silverware, etc.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh okay. That answers my snail question. I'm just worry about his shell because the shell was like that for a while.. I don't want to do a water change because I just did one 2 days ago...

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hopefully someone will come along with more definitive answers for you.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
^Aw!! Your answer helped. Although I would like to hear other ways, but I gues I'll do something like that. Starting tommorow. lol

Hussain

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

You can feed them a slice piece of Zucchini or cucumber without cooking (Very good source of Calcium) everyday once the light goes off, at night and remove it in the morning.. They love it.

Here is a picture of what i do. you can also use some heavy clip to keep the slice to stay in the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Where will I get this heavy clip item?? When I put in slices like that in the aquarium, it just floats.

Another thing, How long will it take for the eggs shells to dissolve in the water?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great advice above! Takes the shells a couple of weeks to dissolve in the water. Another option is to stick a calcium vitamin into the filter, it'll also slowly dissolve into the water. Instead of a clip, just spear the veggies onto the end of a spoon or fork and drop in into the bottom of the tank. It'll weigh them down so they stay at the bottom. Just make sure you take it out after a few hours so it doesn't dirty the tankwater too much.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going shopping right now to get zucchini. So just put the fork in the aquarium with chunks or just slices so that it will sink?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads