Shell Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by BBKilbourne, Apr 13, 2017.

1. BBKilbourne

BBKilbourne New Member Member

Just received some new Mystery Snails in the mail. Acclimated and now in the tank. What worries me is that their shells look very thin, two even breaks and cracks at the opening... what should I do to help strengthen their shells? I have pieces of cuttle bone in the tank... saw a thread where someone said to put adult vitamin D capsules in the tank? Is there a specific kind? Coating? No coating? Going shopping tomorrow for possibly this and some zucchini as I have seen this helps too. I just had never seen shells so thin and brittle looking on mystery snails before... kinda upsets me

I'm sorry I'm having a brainfart kind of day- not vitamin d but calcium pills

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

The cuttlebone should help as well as feeding them calcium rich veggies like zucchini and spinach. You can also make snail jello made with calcium powder. There's a snail jello recipe I can link you to later when I get on my pc at home. I wouldn't drop any type of pills in the tank.

Do you know your GH out of the tap and tank? If they're lower then 9dGH, adding the cuttlebone should help raise the water hardness. Adding Seachem Replenish should help raise it as well.

3. OP
    OP
    BBKilbourne

I can't remember what my husband's friend who tested the water said it was. I'll ask tonight. Tried to get a picture of the cracked/broken edge of the shell right at the end. Just had never seen this before.

Attached Files:

4. el337

It doesn't look too bad, honestly. I think if you keep giving them lots of veggies like the ones mentioned and ensuring your GH stays at or above 10dGH, the shells should grow back.

5. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well Known Member Member

Kale is another great source, right up there with spinach.

6. OP
    OP
    BBKilbourne

Do I need to prep any of these veggies?

7. el337

I just wash them really well and put them in the tank raw.

8. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Depending on the vegetable, you probably need to blanch them first to get them to sink. I spent way too long wrestling with a floating piece of zucchini before I read that you should cook them slightly first :p I just stuck mine in the microwave for 30 seconds with a tiny bit of water, and it sunk right to the bottom.

My snail is currently holding the entire thing in the air and happily munching away!

9. el337

You can use plant weights, forks or bamboo skewers to hold down the veggies. Just be warned that when blanching veggies, they will break down faster and may cause your water to cloud up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice