Shell health + Ph: for all you snail lovers out there!

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have known about the importance of calcium for normal healthy shell growth. What I didn't know, (and you may know already, so bear with me ) was that low Ph can interfere with normal growth.

A low Ph (6.5 and under) lowers calcium levels, which means the snails shells will be weak and more prone to breakage and cracking.

I had a hunch that Ph was an issue in my snail tank (2 pieces of driftwood) at 6.0. I was having several snails die from broken shells. I thought it was my fault during WC's, as I had hit one every once in a while with the siphon tube.

I was dosing it with calcium carbonate pills, but they ignored them (while snails in the 10 gal loved them) so I didn't think it was an issue with calcium. Well I guess I just wasn't thinking!

I did some reading and found out on applesnail.net that my low Ph was causing the broken shells . I've since added some shells and will add a few more + stones that I know will increase Ph. They suggest a Ph of 7-8.

My poor snails. Just thought I would pass it along so others don't make my mistake!

fishdaddy725

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I worry about this in my high tech tank. I've got some nerites and assassins in there. The water comes out of the tap around 7.5 but drops almost a point when the gas is on. No problems so far...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Thanks for the tips! Yes, if the pH level is below 7.0 then the water is to acidic for snail shells and it can cause snail shell erosion.

In addition to what MD has posted, here is a link on natural ways to increase your pH levels should you have this issues of a low pH and snails:

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107

Thanks again MD for bringing this up.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom