Shell Erosion Or New Growth? Cuttlebone??

SarahAlexandra

HI everyone.
I recently posted a thread about my Gold Mystery Snail’s Shell. When I got him, his shell wasn't “full” and new growth looked like it was taking over. So I thought it was healthy. But then I noticed that the shell “softness” is moving back. Could it be from lack of calcium? My water parameters are fine.
I was wondering if adding cuttle bone to my tank would be harmful for my Betta/stress him out. Please help!

Here is a photo. The front of his shell looks much softer and it seems to keep moving back.

I’ve been feeding him kale and spinach very often, along with an algae wafer once a week.
AFD59655-7BFB-426E-837F-5CDD4497D01D.jpeg

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
HI there. I would Test your kH/gH before adding cuttlebone. It can alter your pH. So you need to be careful with it. It isn’t the best source of calcium for them either. I mean if they eat it, it is fine, if they don’t, it only improves the water calcium values slightly.

If you Test your gH and it is low, I suggest adding Seachem Equilibrium. It will raise your gH level and improve your snail shell health. Sometimes food isn’t enough.

OP
SarahAlexandra

SarahAlexandra

AllieSten said:
HI there. I would Test your kH/gH before adding cuttlebone. It can alter your pH. So you need to be careful with it. It isn’t the best source of calcium for them either. I mean if they eat it, it is fine, if they don’t, it only improves the water calcium values slightly.

If you Test your gH and it is low, I suggest adding Seachem Equilibrium. It will raise your gH level and improve your snail shell health. Sometimes food isn’t enough.
Hi, thank you! My GH is measured at 30, and my KH is 80. My pH is a 7.5. So the cuttlebone isn’t a good idea? Will it cause stress to my Betta by effecting my water? The only reason why I don’t use Seachem is because I only have a 3.5 gallon tank, while Seachem is for a tank that are mostly 10-50 gallons. Do you know of other options?

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Your gH is definitely low. Your kH is ok. I think you would be ok to add cuttlebone. Just use a small piece, and monitor your pH and kH/gH to see how it goes.

Bettas do like a low pH better than a high one. So that is why I think Equilibrium would be better. It won’t affect your kH/pH at all.

You can alter the Equilibrium dosages to fit your tank by the way. 1 tablespoon for 20 gallon so for a 3.5 gallon that would be about 2ml (after all sorts of math lol) 2ml is just under 1/2 a teaspoon. You could dose 1/4 tsp at first, see how high you go up, then add another 1/4 tsp and see where you sit. You want your gH to be around 125-140. If you have a choice, I would do this instead.

OP
SarahAlexandra

SarahAlexandra

AllieSten said:
Your gH is definitely low. Your kH is ok. I think you would be ok to add cuttlebone. Just use a small piece, and monitor your pH and kH/gH to see how it goes.

Bettas do like a low pH better than a high one. So that is why I think Equilibrium would be better. It won’t affect your kH/pH at all.

You can alter the Equilibrium dosages to fit your tank by the way. 1 tablespoon for 20 gallon so for a 3.5 gallon that would be about 2ml (after all sorts of math lol) 2ml is just under 1/2 a teaspoon. You could dose 1/4 tsp at first, see how high you go up, then add another 1/4 tsp and see where you sit. You want your gH to be around 125-140. If you have a choice, I would do this instead.
Thanks for being so helpful!

Pringlethesnail

Well Known
The main problem is usually diet. They need an omnivorous diet and need to be fed at least every other day. They need their own food wafers and cannot live off of leftovers from the betta. Cuttlebone actually doesn’t help significantly. Get calcium powder from the reptile section and pour it in the water. It will fog up for an hour then clear up. Completely safe for the betta. When I first started using the powder my betta was stressed because the water was suddenly cloudy and he couldn’t see but now when it starts to get cloudy he just goes to his bed and waits for it to clear up.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Pringlethesnail said:
The main problem is usually diet. They need an omnivorous diet and need to be fed at least every other day. They need their own food wafers and cannot live off of leftovers from the betta. Cuttlebone actually doesn’t help significantly. Get calcium powder from the reptile section and pour it in the water. It will fog up for an hour then clear up. Completely safe for the betta. When I first started using the powder my betta was stressed because the water was suddenly cloudy and he couldn’t see but now when it starts to get cloudy he just goes to his bed and waits for it to clear up.
Out of curiosity does calcium powder affect your gH?

OP
SarahAlexandra

SarahAlexandra

Pringlethesnail said:
This is very helpful. I’ve been feeding vegetables everyday along with some wafers. But I’m thinking about making a snail jello. I already bought the cuttlebone so I think I’m gonna use that first. How does this sound for the ingredients of the jello?
- Swiss chard
- spinach
- collards
- powdered cuttlebone
- can tuna (should I do this??)
-Knox unflavored gelatin

I’ve never done this before so extra advice would be great! Let me know!

New Threads