Shell dweller 10 gallon setup help

Arrow1oo

So I saw a video about shell dwellers and how they are good for a 10 gallon tank idea.

I also snap decided to buy a 10 gallon setup on Craigslist and I want to make it a "multi" shell dweller set up.

This is only my second tank, first is a 55 gallon that I'm still finishing up. I most likely won't start this one untill that one's complete.

Can anyone help me walk through the shell dweller setup in the mean while. I know sand substrate, escargot shells everywhere to let them decide which they like. I was told Malaysian trumpet snails look cool with them and they sometimes pick them up and move them around.

The setup seems fairly cheap and easily honestly so id love any advice

Arrow1oo

saltwater60 said:
Shell Dweller Cichlid - Shellies Care - Size, Lifespan, Tank Mates, Breeding
They like longer shallower tanks, sandy bottoms and lots of snail shells. They like to dig so have a descent layer of sand and make sure your filter tube won’t suck up the sand. They like hard water and high ph as well. Try to get a male female pair to avoid scuffles.
Are all multis the same color or are there variations. Also, if I get a few from a store and they pair off, I should be fine right?

Finally, how many multis could I got comfortably

saltwater60

I’d only get 2-3 in a 10 gallon tank. They will fight of you get more. Try to get a pair from the start. A 10 gallon is pretty small. There are a few color variations but I only see one commonly.

Arrow1oo

saltwater60 said:
I’d only get 2-3 in a 10 gallon tank. They will fight of you get more. Try to get a pair from the start. A 10 gallon is pretty small. There are a few color variations but I only see one commonly.
Aw, out of my options, I feel like this is the most interesting for a 10 gallon tank. And it's not too difficult

crypt0currency

i got a 10 gallon rimless with 4 shell dwellers, aquaclear 70 with a sponge on the filter (can post a pic tomorrow if you want). have had the tank going about 3 months now and saw a fry in there today, pretty cool. there hasn't been any contention that i've noticed so the 10 seems fine

Arrow1oo

crypt0currency said:
i got a 10 gallon rimless with 4 shell dwellers, aquaclear 70 with a sponge on the filter (can post a pic tomorrow if you want). have had the tank going about 3 months now and saw a fry in there today, pretty cool. there hasn't been any contention that i've noticed so the 10 seems fine
This is amazing lol, please post pics

Flyfisha

I feel I should step in and offer a story of something I did.
i brought 5 multies and put them in a 60 litre/15 gallon. Now have them in a 2 foot tall 82 litre/ 20 gallon.
After six months a sold over 40 and have regularly sold 5 bags at auction. Let’s say over 60 fish every 6 months. I feed live foods and am now doing multiple water changes each week.
A great fish that DOES NOT eat it’s young. I have only seen the one strain of colour but the food you feed and the substrate make a difference to colour. Yes they can cross breed with another species if you are careless or inconsiderate.

Highly recommended,but if you are half a decent fish keeper and your water is appropriate they will breed like rabbits.
image.jpg
snapshot does not show the babies.

Arrow1oo

My
Flyfisha said:
I feel I should step in and offer a story of something I did.
i brought 5 multies and put them in a 60 litre/15 gallon. Now have them in a 2 foot tall 82 litre/ 20 gallon.
After six months a sold over 40 and have regularly sold 5 bags at auction. Let’s say over 60 fish every 6 months. I feed live foods and am now doing multiple water changes each week.
A great fish that DOES NOT eat it’s young. I have only seen the one strain of colour but the food you feed and the substrate make a difference to colour. Yes they can cross breed with another species if you are careless or inconsiderate.

Highly recommended,but if you are half a decent fish keeper and your water is appropriate they will breed like rabbits.
image.jpg
snapshot does not show the babies.
My only thing is keeping that pH, mine is naturally 7.5. if I keep crushed coral I guess it could run it up to 8.

Honestly, I can't wait to start the tank. I have a 55 community tank that I'm trying to finish stocking right now but I definitely plan on the multis tank

Flyfisha

Call me bad? I have my shellies in soft water that also has a PH of under 8 . They get the same tannin filled change water as my South Americans.

crypt0currency

60946807173__2F941488-6204-448A-8E71-63C6EF9B02A2.JPG

Top Bottom