Shell Damage Advice Needed

skywalking

Hello all!

Today I received 3 zebra nerites and 1 tiger blood nerite via mail. They shipped around 5pm last night and arrived at 10:30am today, so they traveled for 17 hours. The tiger blood looked healthy.
Upon opening the zebra bag, I scooped them out and inspected them, and noticed one had big white spots. Looking closer, I realized it looked like it had places where the shell had broken off.
20200805_133038.jpg
20200805_121110.jpg
20200805_133045.jpg

The second nerite seemed to have the same issue only with the very tip of its shell.
20200805_133121.jpg

The third one I received was the smallest, about 1/2" at most, and had no damage that I could see.

Is this damage? A deficiency? Or some sort of disease maybe? I'm very inexperienced with snails. Further, what can I do, if anything, to help it heal? And will I have to worry about it with the smallest snail as it gets bigger?

Currently both damaged snails are in a 20 gallon long, heated (78f) and dual-filtered, with two bettas. The tank has been cycled for about 2 months. No live plants, a healthy amount of algae. 0/0/20 are my average readings. The water I have from my tap is pretty hard, and I treat it with Prime. Water changes happen bi-weekly.

Thank you for your time and any advice you can give.

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
I think the damage may have been caused in transit, its no good altering anything in your tank at this time,, monitor them an see how they go, feed them anything with calcium that will help with repairs, its not a disease so dont worry there, the healthy amount of algae will help them. You will need to watch the betta dont harass them if this happens move the snails but the chances are they will be fine

OP
S

skywalking

richiep said:
I think the damage may have been caused in transit, its no good altering anything in your tank at this time,, monitor them an see how they go, feed them anything with calcium that will help with repairs, its not a disease so dont worry there, the healthy amount of algae will help them. You will need to watch the betta dont harass them if this happens move the snails but the chances are they will be fine
Okay awesome, thank you. ✌

Mamastacia3

I just received a new nerite from someone rehoming it and mine has the exact same issue! I was actually going to post about it too!

I thought he had white gunk on him and I freaked a little because I didn’t quarantine him before adding him to my tank (I know, I know, but he came from an established betta tank). I took him out and tried to gently brush off the white with a soft toothbrush but realized more flakes of shell started to come off and saw that it was shell damage, not white gunk.

I will be following this thread too! Hope your snailies recover quickly!

Cheers,
Stacia

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Mamastacia3 said:
I just received a new nerite from someone rehoming it and mine has the exact same issue! I was actually going to post about it too!

I thought he had white gunk on him and I freaked a little because I didn’t quarantine him before adding him to my tank (I know, I know, but he came from an established betta tank). I took him out and tried to gently brush off the white with a soft toothbrush but realized more flakes of shell started to come off and saw that it was shell damage, not white gunk.

I will be following this thread too! Hope your snailies recover quickly!

Cheers,
Stacia
yours dose have a calcium problem and needs a liquid additive or crushed coral hung in a bag also cuttlebone will all help and veg will also help

Mamastacia3

richiep said:
yours dose have a calcium problem and needs a liquid additive or crushed coral hung in a bag also cuttlebone will all help and veg will also help
I do have ****’s wonder shells in the tank, I think my tank will be better for him than the one he came from. But I can give him some spinach or snello too... thanks!!

-Stacia

New Threads