Shell Colours.

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with my mystery snails shell? When I got him from the pet store he was all red and speckled... Now that he's getting bigger he's only got a small patch of red with speckles... Is it just new shell growth? I'm assuming he's turning the ivory colour he's supposed to be?
20180428_162628_001.jpg

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ladyrivermouse said:
What's the deal with my mystery snails shell? When I got him from the pet store he was all red and speckled... Now that he's getting bigger he's only got a small patch of red with speckles... Is it just new shell growth? I'm assuming he's turning the ivory colour he's supposed to be? View attachment 433542
He is protein deficient, that is what is causing the pale, translucent, thin shell. Are you feeding meaty wafers or pellets everyday? At the store his diet was probably just leftover fish food so he goot very dark in color but now he has a different diet with different color growth. I also would like to inform you that your snail has blue green Cyanobacteria growing on its shell which can affect inverts so you may want to check into that.

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Skye_marilyn said:
He is protein deficient, that is what is causing the pale, translucent, thin shell. Are you feeding meaty wafers or pellets everyday? At the store his diet was probably just leftover fish food so he goot very dark in color but now he has a different diet with different color growth. I also would like to inform you that your snail has blue green Cyanobacteria growing on its shell which can affect inverts so you may want to check into that.
I've been giving them veggies and sinking pellets for calcium and protein. Do you have any particular types of protein sources you would recommend to help boost their diet?
I was wonderinf what that green spot was, Ive been looking into it since it appeared. Any suggestions on how to remedy that?

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ladyrivermouse said:
I've been giving them veggies and sinking pellets for calcium and protein. Do you have any particular types of protein sources you would recommend to help boost their diet?
I was wonderinf what that green spot was, Ive been looking into it since it appeared. Any suggestions on how to remedy that?
I recommend Hikari bottom feeder wafers as well as Seachem replenish, wonder shells, or calcium powder for their shell. To het rid of the cyanobacteria on his shell dampen a cloth with 3% hydrogen peroxide and wipe it off. Keep your eyes peeled and make sure you dont have cyanobacteria all over the tank as it could be harmful to inhabitants.

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pringlethesnail said:
He is supposed to be a nice gold color like the most of the new growth before it got more white.
I'm not sure that he's looking much better? I took care of the blue green algae on his shell and stepped up the protein - they really love the sinking protein and calcium pellets though. It's like they can't get enough of them lol
20180501_173134.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom