Shelf To Hold Plants

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a dwarf umbrella palm that i am planning on putting into my 29 gallon tank. However, it is not tall enough to rest on the bottom of the tank. I need some sort of shelf to put the pot on so the leaves can be out of water. Ideally, i would like a shelf so that the fish can swim under it and i don't lose all that ground space. What materials are safe to use for a shelf? It is a six inch pot so it needs to be sturdy, not one of those shelves that suction cups to the side of the tank.

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awesome, thank you! I was unsure as to what plastic is okay and what isn’t. My plant has been living in a bucket on my balcony so i am excited to bring him inside.

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome, thank you! I was unsure as to what plastic is okay and what isn’t. My plant has been living in a bucket on my balcony so i am excited to bring him inside.
As a side note, if you use PVC pipes, you will want to drill holes in them to make sure the water inside does not stagnate. If it does, and you ever have to remove the shelf, the resulting flood of "dead" water could kill anything remaining in the aquarium. The holes don't have to be very big, and there is pre-drilled PVC pipe available. Or you can even carve larger holes and make a cave system, as long as you don't compromise the structure of the PVC too much my making them too large/close.

Edit: Another option is to pack the PVC with sand or something to weigh it down, and then fit a cap onto the bottom to make sure no water gets in in the first place All the possibilities! I just wanted to warn about having uncirculating water trapped inside.

Best of luck!

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, wow. Thank you for that!

I am getting a kick out of the link you posted. I am learning some curious new information about fish in addition to shelf building:

The selection of fishes that will take advantage of the land area is extremely limited. For the most part, fish tend to like staying in the water—I seem to remember this from one of my ichthyology classes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom