Shelf in tank

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by scubasean, Aug 6, 2015.

1. scubasean

scubasean New Member Member

So I'm in the middle of fixing my tank after cracking the base and have come up with a plan to put a shelf in the tank about 2-3inch up to make a cave for fish to hide in. Will the shelf drop do you think with the weight of water and substrate/plants as wanted to put a bank/verge on top of it. (Was planing on just using silicon alone to hold in place)

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTim Valued Member Member

The weight of the water, which is of course dependent on how much water will be above the shelf, should not be enough to force the shelf down. Use plenty of silicone and give it time to cure properly before adding water to the tank. As for creating a bank/verge, again, it depends on how much weight you think this will add. From my perspective, silicone is used to hold glass tanks together, so it's obviously a powerful adhesive to safely hold that much weight in water. This makes me believe that as long as you silicone the shelf correctly it should be fine. Good luck! :)

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

In regards to the shelf, I would silicone it on at least 2 sides, if not 3 sides for best support.

If you want to get creative, you could use materials like river rock, slate, PVC tubing and silicone to make a structure to give dens and such for your fish. See attached pic for sample idea. It's not my piece but a piece I used as an idea to make mine, however I ended up using the wrong silicone so I never completed it.

SlateOrnament.JPG

4. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

You could also support the shelf using fishing line attached to your tank lid. I did this to create a suspended cave for apistos in my old tank. The shelf was entirely supported by fishing line. (this tank is currently empty and in storage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN2mI6lZhug

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice