Shedding its shell????

Status
Not open for further replies.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys! I have not post anything in a while...but I just noticed that one of my 2 Mystery snails (blue one) is "shedding" its shell!! It looks like is shedding a layer of the shell (light blue) and the dark blue almost black colores shell is the bottom layer...Am I making any sense? Do you know if this is normal?
I have a piece of cuttlebone in the aquarium as a source of calcium.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have heard mention of snails shedding their shells completely but they don't usually survive. It sounds like your snails shell is eroding instead of shedding.

I see that your pH is above 7.0 which is where it should be (over 7.0 that is). Make sure this is still the case.

Try feeding him fresh zucchini (high in calcium) just slice it and weight it down if you can. If not, they'll still find it. I also use egg shells in my tank to supplement the calcium. I've read about using the cuttle bone but haven't tried it myself.

Let's see what other responses you receive.
Best wishes.
Ken

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awwhhh... I hope it survives!!! Defintely, I will give them zuchinni!!! I have 2 snails. The gold one is very active, this blue one took like 4 days before I saw her moving...Now that it is finally being active... I am going to add some egg shells and strt feeding them zuchinni. Thank you for posting a response!!!

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Rainman... yes!!! is like the "old" shell is moving "back" to let the "new" shell come in...the "old" shell is a light blue and the one "underneath" it is a dark blue. I will try to take a picture so you can see it...but yes, it looks pretty much to what is happening to your snail...what is it?

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Photo of "shedding shell"?

Hey rainmen! This is the promised picture....If you start looking from the "bottom" of the shell (closest to the foot), that is what I call the "new shell" the lighter blue colored shell is the one that looks it's been "discarded' or pull back...It does not look like is deteriorating or nothing like that...at least it does not look it to me... What do you think?

Attachments

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah!!! Rainman is here Maybe we'll both learn something new about shell growth. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ken

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all! When one buys a snail there will always be a difference in the water quality and parameters in the water at your house and the pet store. Now, with the stress of being moved to a new environment, there will be a different color and texture to the new shell growth. this is caused by many things; a thinner shell due to fast shell growth, odd minerals in the water... even if you accidental forgot to change the water or to feed the snail for a few days (not that you did) it can cause a new ring of growth to appear...I could go on. Everything should be fine as long as no drastic changes to the environment happen.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Ryan M.
§

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, my nerites have new growth that is a lighter color. the shell is expanding and getting bigger. i feed algae wafers, zuchinni, and have egg shells in the tank. so i'm thinking all that is helping feed the shells and making the grow. pretty cool to see.

do you think that is the case with yours marina? it's growing?

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope so Jers!!! i added zuchinni and egg shells this morning so will see what happens...they have not "found" the veggie yet, and the shell keeps changing, from Fri until today, there is more "dark colored shell" showing...
Rainman...thank you for your so awaited response!!! I appreciate it. x

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi sil.....the photos of the snail weren't very clear...sorry! so is the shell just getting larger? or do you think the shell is coming off the snail? well, usually mine get really excited when they see zucchini come down lol. it's so cute. give it a couple days and see

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey Jers! It looks like a "layer" of the shell is coming off and the "new" shell is underneath it...If you click on the image you see it larger...the darker shell is the "new shell" and the light blue colored is getting pushed back further and further...you know what I mean? They finally noticed the zuchinni and they were on top of it for a few minutes...the one that is going crazy today swimming up and down and "bumping" into Carlitos is my little ADF!! Funny!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom