Sharp vertical curve in spine of female betta

Leinalou

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey there! This is my first post here, but thank you guys in advance for helping me with this little betta!
I recently bought a small blue female betta from a shop. She is one of my many bettas, I understand many of the common betta ailments. But, this one alludes me (it seems like a genetic deformity to me), and i cannot find anything similar. So, I wanted to ask if you guys have any advice or ways to help.
She was like this when I got her. She seemed a bit bloated too, so I fed her a frozen pea a couple of times, no impact. She swims just fine, and does not exhibit signs of pain. But I worry that it will progress and want any thoughts or advice you have. Spine? Tumor? See below for photos.
B46CC054-5666-4CF6-9FF7-9E7CBF8CE616.jpeg
1AF28264-CE06-4691-9792-574A63AA77E9.jpeg
DD7F98BC-C48C-40BE-8068-C21612FDA633.jpeg
88C7C60D-BEB0-4580-8BDA-DB7184509A9F.jpeg
B46CC054-5666-4CF6-9FF7-9E7CBF8CE616.jpeg
06DE5F0D-FE96-4BF5-92A0-043A44B27812.jpeg

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
A few possible options. One is since been like this before you got her maybe genetic, always been like this.

Second a defincency or high nitrate or nitrite at a point in life.

But if she eats normally and act normal I would keep eye on her.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
My best guess would be a genetic deformity as well. Try feeding daphnia rather than pea, its easier for betta to digest. Worked with one of my rescues.

OP
Leinalou

Leinalou

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you all! One more thing... I just read about fear stripes. Are these real?? She now has more pronounced horizontal stripes. She was in a 10g with one other female betta. I know this rarely works with so few bettas, but I'm in the process of getting more for this tank. They were really sweet and friendly to one another- I never saw so much as a nibble. If i did, I would have put one in her own tank away from the other. So, are fear stripes real? Should i worry or change something?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
I think it’s more of a stress thing. I mostly have male betta but the one female I do have presented with stripes and paleness when I first got her after being in a bag for a while during transport. You can kinda see the in the photo I added.

Attachments

OP
Leinalou

Leinalou

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SanDiegoRedneck said:
A few possible options. One is since been like this before you got her maybe genetic, always been like this.

Second a defincency or high nitrate or nitrite at a point in life.

But if she eats normally and act normal I would keep eye on her.
Thank you! She seems fine after a few weeks.

qldmick said:
Looks like a severely bent spine, probably genetic.
Thank you! Any way to limit her pain? Do you think she is in pain?

New Threads