sharks??? which one should i get

mcminnj

Reaction score
which type of shark should i get? and which sharks mix well with other fish? ???
I am a beginner who plans to get a 30 gallon tank and have a variety of tropical fish. I then plan to breed fish to have a bigger variety of fish, BUT I don't know which fish to get, Could you please send me a list of fish you have and which are easy to look after and which ones breed well. My brother and I are keen on sharks but we don't know which ones mix well could you please tell me.??? ??? ???

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to Fishlore!!

I'll try to answer your questions with as much as I know. I'm sure others will provide additional information and/or correct me if I've given some incorrect info.

First and foremost, you must pay attention to the adult size of the shark with regard to the size of your aquarium and get one that fits within those parameters. You also need to recognize that sharks tend to be on the aggressive side and unless they are kept in very large tanks, only one should be kept in a community tank. This is because they are territorial and may attack other fish that they perceive to be invading their turf.

You should also be very aware of what tank mates would blend well with sharks. Since most tend to be nippers, it may not be wise to keep any fish with long, flowing fins as they may make prime targets for the shark's aggression. And some just don't make good tank mates.

I couldn't really make out the rest of your post, but I think it referred to breeding fish. Livebearers such as guppies, platys, mollys and swordtails are all very easy to breed. Some may be compatible with sharks, some may not.

Here is a compatibility chart that might give you an idea as to what will be compatible in a community tank.

Happy research and good luck!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think there are any sharks that can be kept in a 30 gallon. And I don't recommend trying to breed since this is your first aquarium. Research different fish and post a list of some you would like to get, and we'll try to give you some input on which ones would be suitable.

mcminnj

Reaction score
thank you both. I will take in your info and just get other fish. :I am very thankful.I plan to get guppies and Betta's because i was at a pet store and i like them but also i saw a chart and they can definitely mix well...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, but bettas and guppies are NOT compatible! The betta will probably mistake the guppy with his long fins for another betta and attack him, and if not there will be serious fin nipping from both parties.
The only fish recommended for keeping with male bettas are small catfish--Cories or Otos--and if your tank is big enough (which yours would be) a shoal of danios. Female bettas can be kept with more different fish, but nothing with too long fins and nothing really nippy.
If you want to go with the Guppies, they can go with pretty much any fish as long as they are not really nippy.

Puppypower

Reaction score
You can't really breed sharks. It's really hard & there aren't many cases of them breeding in captivity, i know becausse i wanted to do the same.

If you want to breed fish, I recomend convicts. They're pretty easy, but if it's your first aquarium, just get a few fish, non expensive ones, & learn more about them & stuff, I recomend silver/bala sharks They go with a lot of things, but they won't breed :-\

When you get more advances, & want agressive fish to breed, go for american cichlids, i know i say that a lot, but they will breed. Anyway, don't worry about that til later.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom