Help Shark Too Thin??

Splushi

Reaction score
I posted last august about the black dots that had appeared on my shark's abdomen, since then he looks really skinny.
IMG_2729.jpg

This is what he looked like in July2018
IMG_2859.jpg

And this is how he looks now. I treated for parasites with one dose seachem paraguard as i heard it was the most gentle on scaleless fish and snails, it has been 2 days since and from what I can tell those two dots have lightened significantly ( I will be able to tell better in natural light as my tank is blue light)
Any other advices??

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Other than the two dark spots, he looks pretty good to me. In the August picture he actually looks kind of over weight. Rounded abdomen and much bigger hump on his back.
Right now he looks perfect! He's eating normally? Did you change his diet at all?

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the first picture I think it had dropsy. You can see pineconing in the ‘chest’ area and the forward swelling makes the head look out of proportion, and quite odd, tbh.

Now it looks fine. If it’s holding it’s fins out like in the second picture I wouldn’t worry about it. The black dots are probably just a bit of pigment?

They’re not scaleless btw.

Last edited:

Splushi

Reaction score
In the first picture I think it had dropsy. You can see pineconing in the ‘chest’ area and the forward swelling makes the head look out of proportion, and quite odd, tbh.

Now it looks fine. If it’s holding it’s fins out like in the second picture I wouldn’t worry about it. The black dots are probably just a bit of pigment?

They’re not scaleless btw.
Thanks for the response and sorry for being so slow to respond! The two black dots are pretty much gone now so I am assuming it was some sort of parasite? Perhaps external? All I know is they went away after I treated with paraguard. He is always very active, never any fin clamping or lethargic behavior, I was just concerned after I posted a pic on facebook and others said he was too skinny, but I can see the pineconing in that first pic now that you mention it. The thing is I never treated for dropsy, but I use aquarium salt sometimes whenever someone acts off and they usually feel better afterwords so that may have been what helped him get over it. Currently he eats lots of different things! He eats frozen brine shrimps and bloodworms, algae from the glass and pellets, and his daily food is bug bites. He always eats whenever I feed him, he likes to eat right out of my hand.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the response and sorry for being so slow to respond! The two black dots are pretty much gone now so I am assuming it was some sort of parasite? Perhaps external? All I know is they went away after I treated with paraguard. He is always very active, never any fin clamping or lethargic behavior, I was just concerned after I posted a pic on facebook and others said he was too skinny, but I can see the pineconing in that first pic now that you mention it. The thing is I never treated for dropsy, but I use aquarium salt sometimes whenever someone acts off and they usually feel better afterwords so that may have been what helped him get over it. Currently he eats lots of different things! He eats frozen brine shrimps and bloodworms, algae from the glass and pellets, and his daily food is bug bites. He always eats whenever I feed him, he likes to eat right out of my hand.
Glad the problem's resolved! He's definately NOT too thin in the second picture. He looks in excellent shape! Too thin and he would look thicker but bony through the head and chest with very obvious thinning from ribs to tail. Some rounder fishes like sharks/catfish/loaches backbones even stick up. He looked fine to me in the second pic. The two black dots could have even been minor wounds (with pinpoint spots of old blood) beneath the skin from a sharp plastic plant or other pointed object or even a tiny capillary bleed from smacking into something or another fish ramming him. Especially if he's a crazy tank 'sprinter' lol!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom