shark!!!! question Question

Discussion in 'Columbian Shark' started by passion336, Mar 18, 2010.

1. p

passion336 New Member Member

hello everyone

yesturday I got a 8 inch columbian shark who seems to love his new home as the last owner said it never moved so I read up about I before I picked it up
    and a few site say the shark eats smaller fish!!! I dont believe it It has no intrest in its tank mates.

I am intrested in putting some african chilards would this be a mistake? or ok?

kind regards

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure what you mean by the fish was happy because it never moved.....

Anyway..... what size tank do you have the shark in?

Here's a link that will help you understand the needs of your shark, and also please read owner's comments at the bottom of the page. Some reference the shark eating their tankmates.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this specific shark will come and share with you. I have a rainbow shark and could help more with that species but do not own a columbian shark. They are quite beautiful though. :)

3. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that shark either, but from what I read on the link they get to be pretty big. If he is in the tank listed in your aquarium info he's definitely going to outgrow it and at 8 inches, he's probably too large for it already.

In regards to the african chilards, I assume you mean African Chiclids. From what I read they can be pretty aggressive and territorial and need larger tanks too. I don't know whether or not they would be compatible with the shark, but I'm sure someone who knows will chime in.

4. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I think you are restricted to just the shark, if you didn't know, they are brackish and your shark will need atleast a 45G brackish tank too itself when it gets older.

5. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Columbian sharks are predators, and will attack their tankmates. That's just a matter of time.
    The two big things about these guys are:
    They need a big space... bigger than a tank. I usually suggest indoor ponds to those who want to keep them.
    They need gradually increasing salinity, something that most other fish can't handle. They start out as freshwater fish, but then move into estuaries and eventually the ocean. Their health is negatively impacted if they are kept in freshwater, which may be why the previous owner was having problems with it. I would guess that you'll find your shark quickly returning to its sedentary lifestyle unless it's put in a large, mildly brackish tank soon.

6. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

As I learned he will need a very large tank/indoor pond mine are 6 inches and are aggressive, they can grow as big as 14 inches.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Freshwater"Sharks"/Columbian Shark section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

8. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Columbian sharks are brackish as said above and they are actually catfish (also known as the shark catfish) so they will eat whatever fits in their mouths. You should now when he can't handle pure fresh water when he spends his time at the top of the tank gasping.
    Good luck, Nick

9. s

stephani_m2001 New Member Member

My cat is in a saltwater tank and has been doing great since the move to saltwater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice