Shark not looking good

Alexsmum17

Hi i currently have a 54l tank with 1 red tailed shark 1 striped molly and 5 neon tetras.
Recently moved them to a new bigger tank before moving i had the new tank set up for 4 days doing daily water tests. Before i moved them i checked all water levels were tge same in both tanks and temprature was the same.
After movng them which was 3 days ago. I have continued to water test every day there was an in crease in amonia yesterday so i did a 20% water change and treated with amonia remover.
Today i noticed my shark is not looking happy and has what looks white fluffy lines on his back. Is this a fungus?
Everyone else seems fine

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_144314.jpg
    IMG_20210103_144314.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 26

AggressiveAquatics

Hi i currently have a 54l tank with 1 red tailed shark 1 striped molly and 5 neon tetras.
Recently moved them to a new bigger tank before moving i had the new tank set up for 4 days doing daily water tests. Before i moved them i checked all water levels were tge same in both tanks and temprature was the same.
After movng them which was 3 days ago. I have continued to water test every day there was an in crease in amonia yesterday so i did a 20% water change and treated with amonia remover.
Today i noticed my shark is not looking happy and has what looks white fluffy lines on his back. Is this a fungus?
Everyone else seems fine
Did you seed the new tank? And the white lines do looks fungal. Also he looks malnourished a healthy shark will be not bent over and will be thicker with more bold colors and non see through fins

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

What do you mean by seed the new tank?
Hes fed once a day and always seems to go up for the food
His fins are not usually sea through thats only happened in thecpast day or so

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

What do you mean by seed the new tank?
Hes fed once a day and always seems to go up for the food
His fins are not usually sea through thats only happened in thecpast day or so
I mean did you take an old filter from your last tank and add it to this one so you don’t have to go through a cycle all over again. If you didn’t that’s why there is ammonia

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

No it was a new filter should i take the old filter in and put it in now or is it too late
Ive just done another water test and all tge levels loo great now

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

No it was a new filter should i take the old filter in and put it in now or is it too late
It’s not to late to add it as long as it’s not dried out then all the beneficial bacteria is dead and there is no point on adding it. What exactly are your water parameters and what are you using to test? Just so you know strips are notorious for being incorrect so if you do t already I would use an api liquid test kit

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

I have an api liquud test but i had been using strips so ill use tge liquud and let you know
Ok so liquid test results are
Ph_7.4
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-0ppm
Amonia-0ppm

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

Half the old filter was still wet so ive put that in aswell

Upvote 0

dMog

Everyone else seems fine
If you are getting an ammonia spike.... Stsrt doing 35 percent DAILY PARTIAL WATER CHANGES. You have a mini cycle crask or lost your cycle.... fish in cycle.... Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Forum | 414083
You may have to do that

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I don't think you can save that fish. I doubt that his situation is related to the recent move to the bigger tank. He must have been wasting for a long time. The advice to establish your new tank is valid, but is not going to save this shark I am afraid.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

How long had the previous tank been up and running? Did you move anything other than the fish from the previous tank over to this one? If not and since you only let this tank run for 4 days before moving the fish over you are now doing a fish in cycle. If this shark survives it is still going to be rough on him.

Upvote 0

dMog

A
I don't think you can save that fish. I doubt that his situation is related to the recent move to the bigger tank. He must have been wasting for a long time. The advice to establish your new tank is valid, but is not going to save this shark I am afraid.
also, you have zero nitrates...proof you have not got a cycle established...unless you have like a billion floater plants eating all your nitrate

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

The other one was set up for just under a year. I moved all ornaments plants fish etc. The only new things were the actual tank filtre and heater
Is there anytging you would suggest going forward to make sure the other fish are ok

Upvote 0

dMog

The other one was set up for just under a year. I moved all ornaments plants fish etc. The only new things were the actual tank filtre and heater
Is there anytging you would suggest going forward to make sure the other fish are ok
Doing a FISH IN CYCLE is what needs to be done now, it may or may not save the sick fish... But still needs to be completed... Whst was the parameters for the old tank for ammonia nitrite and nitrate and ph.... Just because it was running a long time is not proof it was cycled

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Good job on moving everything over. Just keep an eye on the numbers. You may be experiencing a mini-cycle because of the new filter but it should settle fairly quick. You should start seeing nitrates within a week or so.

Keep in mind the strongest colony of bacteria is going to be on your filter media because that is where the most food is going to be. Hopefully you moved the media from the old filter over to the new one. If you did then this mini-cycle should be very short lived.

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

Doing a FISH IN CYCLE is what needs to be done now, it may or may not save the sick fish... But still needs to be completed... Whst was the parameters for the old tank for ammonia nitrite and nitrate and ph.... Just because it was running a long time is not proof it was cycled
The old water tested as
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

Ive just checked the tank again and we have lost the shark. Should i still do an in fish cycle i looked into and it said it can risk losing all the fish

Upvote 0

dMog

The old water tested as
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

Ive just checked the tank again and we have lost the shark. Should i still do an in fish cycle i looked into and it said it can risk losing all the fish
old tank at 80 ppm nitrate was very toxic.... New tank at zero nitrate means mini cycle crash or not a cycled tank a non cycled tank is certain to be bad for uour fish... You must do that fish in cycle starting ASAP

Upvote 0

mattgirl

The old water tested as
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

I am sorry your fish didn't make it. How are all the others looking? Since you moved everything from the cycled tank you don't have to do anything other than just keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels and keep them down to negligible levels with water changes until you see a consistent zero reading for both.

I know it can be confusing when you get what seems to be conflicting information but you don't need to do anything special. Just keep on top of the necessary water changes. That is basically what one does when doing a fish in cycle.
old tank at 80 ppm nitrate was very toxic.... New tank at zero nitrate means mini cycle crash or not a cycled tank a non cycled tank is certain to be bad for uour fish... You must do that fish in cycle starting ASAP
This tank has zero nitrates because it has only been running for a few days. The cycle was moved over from a cycled tank. It is going to take a few days to settle and for nitrates to show up. When I set up a new tank and use seeded media I normally see nitrates in about a week.

80 is much higher than I would be comfortable with but it isn't a toxic number. This shark looks like it was suffering from some kind of wasting disease or it simply wasn't getting the proper nutrition.

Alexsmum17 If I were you I would try to keep the nitrates down to no more than 40 in this new tank. Have you run the nitrates test on your source/tap water? Quite often folks find nitrates n theirs. I could be wrong but I am assuming you live somewhere other than in the US. Quite often folks in European countries do have nitrates in their tap water.

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

I am sorry your fish didn't make it. How are all the others looking? Since you moved everything from the cycled tank you don't have to do anything other than just keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels and keep them down to negligible levels with water changes until you see a consistent zero reading for both.

I know it can be confusing when you get what seems to be conflicting information but you don't need to do anything special. Just keep on top of the necessary water changes. That is basically what one does when doing a fish in cycle.

This tank has zero nitrates because it has only been running for a few days. The cycle was moved over from a cycled tank. It is going to take a few days to settle and for nitrates to show up. When I set up a new tank and use seeded media I normally see nitrates in about a week.

80 is much higher than I would be comfortable with but it isn't a toxic number. This shark looks like it was suffering from some kind of wasting disease or it simply wasn't getting the proper nutrition.

Alexsmum17 If I were you I would try to keep the nitrates down to no more than 40 in this new tank. Have you run the nitrates test on your source/tap water? Quite often folks find nitrates n theirs. I could be wrong but I am assuming you live somewhere other than in the US. Quite often folks in European countries do have nitrates in their tap water.
Thanks so much for all your help. Im definitely going to do alot more research into aquarium keeping so i dont have the same issues again.
I havent testrd the tap water but always use water conditioner. I am from the uk so will test it tonight to make sure thanks

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Thanks so much for all your help. Im definitely going to do alot more research into aquarium keeping so i dont have the same issues again.
I havent testrd the tap water but always use water conditioner. I am from the uk so will test it tonight to make sure thanks
You are so very welcome. It is not going to surprise me if you find you have nitrates in your tap water. Lots of folks around you do.

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

You are so very welcome. It is not going to surprise me if you find you have nitrates in your tap water. Lots of folks around you do.
Ok now one of my little tetras has completly disappeared weve moved things out the checked tge filter etc could it have been eaten

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Ok now one of my little tetras has completly disappeared weve moved things out the checked tge filter etc could it have been eaten
Yes, It is possible for the body of a tiny fish to seem to just disappear. I think the other fish can eat them fairly quick.

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

What
Yes, It is possible for the body of a tiny fish to seem to just disappear. I think the other fish can eat them fairly quick.
What would cause them to do that. I thouggt it would have only happened to new fish being introduced. They have been together for over a year noe

Upvote 0

mattgirl

What

What would cause them to do that. I thouggt it would have only happened to new fish being introduced. They have been together for over a year noe
I can't say but I fear something is going on in this tank since you also just lost your shark. The very first thing I would reach for if something like this started happening is my water changing equipment.

Moving the fish from a tank with a nitrate reading of 80 over to a tank with a reading of 0 could have affected the fish. That is too drastic a change. It is too late now but it would have been much better to have moved some of the original water over to this tank to have kept the parameters closer to the same.

You mentioned something in your first post. Something about an ammonia remover. What kind of ammonia remover are you using? If it is Prime then that is good.

Upvote 0

Alexsmum17

The brand is interpet for the amonia remover. So do u think i should do anotger water change?
I just checked the water today again and the levels have remained steady at what the were tje other dau

Upvote 0

mattgirl

The brand is interpet for the amonia remover. So do u think i should do anotger water change?
I just checked the water today again and the levels have remained steady at what the were tje other dau
As long as you are seeing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites a water change may not help. I fear they may have been affected if they weren't acclimated to the new water. Hopefully too much damage hasn't been done to the rest of them. I really hate to say it but only time will tell.

I wouldn't be adding any kind of ammonia remover. If the ammonia rises try to keep it down with water changes.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies
Views