Shark missing tail Help 

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had purchased two iridescent sharks about 1.5 weeks ago.Two days ago one was missing his tail and died the next day.All other fish seem to fine.They had seemed to be doing alright up to then as well.Any suggestions?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
I'm sorry about your shark.
Could be a couple of things going on. Aggression or poor water conditions.
I see your tank is only 2 weeks old. Can you post your exact readings for ammonia nitrites and nitrates?
Sadly, your fish are not compatible and the tank size isn't suitable for these fish.
Here are the profile for the sharks.
Bala Shark
Red Tail Shark
Iridescent Shark

It would be a good idea to either return the sharks or get a couple of much bigger tanks.
Neither are easy solutions, but really, there's no other solution.

Best of luck!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Excellent advice from Lucy. ID sharks get HUGE and are literal tankbusters.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmmm Hello JJ and Welcome to Fish Lore,

Sorry to hear that you lost one of your sharks.

My best guess would be the Tiger Barbs may have feasted on your sharks tail (listed in your profile) . If your tank has only been set up for two weeks, I don't know that even poor water conditions would have removed it that quickly without some previous signs, tail rot, fungus.

Did this just happen over night?
Ken

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my ammonia level is 0, the Nitrite level is 0, The ph level is 8.2 , the Nitrate level is 40.I plan to get a larger tank in the future, right now these fish are small.Compatibility wise, pet store said they were good,until sharks got bigger.The tail problem confused her too, unless it had gotten caught on something.Red tail does his normal thing of defending it's territory, then later swims with the rest.

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ken,

Pretty much.I sit for long periods of time and just watch them.The night before they were swimming around just fine.The next a.m. I looked for it and found it struggling to maneuver around.I haven't another tank to transfer sick fish to, and besides they don't transfer that easily. Never seen the tiger barbs go after any of them, and would find it surprising that the shark would sit still long enough to lose it's whole tail.I have watch them several times day and night to observe the behavior of all.Like I said the red tail will chase, but he has never nipped either. Still confused, and I don't want to replace it until I know.Pet store doesn't think it's fin rot or bad conditions either.Right now the one remaining hangs out with the algae eater and still swims around, but not as much.Think he's sad too!

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ken is all over it.I bet your Tiger barbs tag teamed him after lights out.Your LFS(local pet store) is giving you bad advice,you have too many fish for a tank that is two weeks old.I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle,it should take four to six weeks to have a cycled tank depending on the method.Tropical fish need water in the 78degree range depending on the species.

jjwebster

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanx for the info.I will look into the temp situation. I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about with the barbs. I have read alot of posts about the tiger barbs , and was told about their aggression. I thought it was kind of funny, because mine are very playful and have always stayed together(never paired up or apart. They get along well with the silver dollars, and stay out of the way of the sharks.When I get up at 3:30 a.m., they are all sleeping peacefully. But , there's about a 5-6 hour time span when they could be mischievous I guess. If it's the amount of fish compared to the newness of the set up that's inappropriate , yeah, I thought so too.When I called the LFS about the missing tail, I spoke to the owner.She questioned the same thing and asked who sold me all the fish without explaining the consequences. I will do the best I can to keep them well.It's all I can do at this point. I hate to take anything back to the shop ( kinda attached now)Don't know that the LFS will do that anyway, but I will ask. I will start looking for a bigger tank now, get it set up and ready for iridescent. Thanx so much for all the advice! This is a great site!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads