Sharing filter media...

1. RonDutt Member Member

I have a friend who wants to get started in the aquarium hobby. I was thinking of getting him started fast by giving him my filter, but seeing as how I just took down the 20G with two HOB's (without saving the filter media), what would be the best way to get him started? I know my filter has carbon, so cutting it will release that...is there something else I can do? He really wants this for Christmas, even if theres only some starter/hardy fish in there in the beginning (I'll be taking the starter fish once he's been on his own for a few months).

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hi rondutt..without saving the media, and you not having anything but the carbon cartridge with the filter media all in one( im assuming thats what you mean right? ) , you could try sharing some subtrate and decorations and just have him start off with a few small fish? but make sure he knows it may not be 100% garunteed and he could end up doing daily partial changes with prime to get through the cycle...

3. RonDutt Member Member

Yeah, it's the all-in-one filter media that came with the EX45. I've heard of people putting extra filter media near the air bubbles/filter intake (for water movement) so it develops the beneficial bacteria from the existing media. I have room in my filter to put another media cartridge in, would it be wise to stick it in and would it be good to go by Friday/Saturday?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The whisper EX series has a dedicated biomedia. I've used those filters, including the EX45, and do not think the "bioscrubber" is as good as other biomedias out there. IME it does maintain the cycle though. When I used those filters, i cut a slit at the top and emptied the carbon. Then I'd put a biomax bag in it instead.

I think your best bet is to just give your buddy one of your used cartridges. He can cut it up as needed to fit it in his filter. Have him dump out the carbon, as I mentioned earlier, then he can stuff the rest in the filter and be instantly cycled.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the extra media is an awesome idea!~! but it should be in there for a couple weeks to establish itself enough to trust it to cycle another new tank ..and christmas is in a few days not weeks..hence why i suggested the subtrate or decorations to help.....if you use some of yours, make sure you dump out the carbon as it will fall into the tank if not...dont cut too much off or you could put your tank into a mini cycle...

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Tetra SafeStart would probably be the safest bet.

7. RonDutt Member Member

No store around here sells TSS sadly :( I bought a half dozen a while ago in case I started any more tanks, but then I started my 75...and well, those little bottles don't work too well on a 75g :D