sharing filter media to help cycle

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
I posted this in the Filters and Filtration section, but no-body answered, so I thought I might get more of a response here, as I have already bought the filter off e-bay, so I will get it soon.

This is what I posted:-

In my 7.5gall tank I have a Duetto DJ50 filter, but it doesn't stick to the glass any more.   I'm going to get a new one and put the one I already have  in a Q-tank because it works fine if it is stood on some rocks.

Would it be ok, if I left some of the filter media that is cycled in one filter and take some out to put in the new one, then put some new filter media in both as well. (if that makes sense) Would that make both filters cycled?

thanks. Hope all that makes sense lol.

Gwenz 

arfon

Reaction score
hI gwenz. I would recommend leaving some cycled media in your new filter as the media holds beneficial bacterial colonies . you could chance putting all the media in your new filter and hope you won't need to use your q thank for at least 2 to 3 weeks to give the new media some time to go through the cycle process. all the best.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
thanks, I need the Q-tank to be cycled asap, b/c I'm going to buy some otos and they'd need to be quarantined.

I'd leave some cycled media in the old one and put some in the new one. would this work?

thanks

Gwenz

arfon

Reaction score
putting some cycled media in your new filter will be fine. it will help speed up the process

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, the yummy filter sludge is a big help. along with gravel in pantyhose from the cycled tank, if possible.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gwenz said:
ok, why in pantyhose?

Gwenz
it makes the gravel feel sexy, of course! The pantyhose are just a way to hang the gravel and let the good bacteria into your tank and then later on put the gravel back in the established tank. You can just put the gravel into the new tank if you want though.

New Threads