Important Share your horrors during your fish keeping experience!

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey Fishlore,
Just curious: What are your horror stories during your fish keeping experience? Bored and stuck in quarantine so :happy:

I'll start: I had some albino corydoras shipped to me, and they were triple bagged. It was a pain opening the bags, and while I was opening the last one a cory jumped and almost fell into the sink hole. It's still alive and healthy, if you are wondering :)

I'm sure others will have more horrifying stories, I want to hear them all! :D

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
One time, while doing my regular water change and my lid was off, my betta decided to yeet right out of the tank. Of course, it couldn't be over the front or sides, it just had to be over the back. He fell in between the two-inch crevice between my stand and the wall, all the way onto the carpeted floor.

If you don't know, a full 10 gallon tank on a hard wooden desk is probably somewhere around 150 - 200 pounds. The only way I could access him was by lifting up the desk and pulling it forward. It felt like forever, but it was probably only a couple minutes, and I did manage to lift the desk with tank on it and pull it all forward - miraculously, without any water spilling! I scooped him up and put him back in the tank. He was fine, minus the carpet fuzz, and lived another year after that.

To make this more eventful - he was a double-tail betta I had rescued with nearly completely melted fins. The store gave him to me for free because "You really want that dead betta? Okay... Fine?" He made an amazing recovery, and despite some obvious genetic defects (fish equivalent of scoliosis, among other things), he lived through near-death twice and ended up dying of old age, of all things!

His name was Osiris, "Egyptian lord of the underworld and judge of the dead," fittingly. Here's a photo of his fin melt recovery.
Osiris.jpg

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't had fish for too long but once, I got two guppies from petsmart. After acclimating them, I used a kitchen strainer(I didn't have a net at the time, and using my hands just didn't work. Please don't judge me lol don't worry i've gotten a net now) to scoop them out. Well, one of the guppies, which was an endler, decided to jump out of the strainer through the gap of my hand. It fell on the counter thingy that the tank was/is on. I panicked and literally just stood there. I didn't know what to do since I was afraid I would hurt it in some way. And the worst thing was that the fish was stuck in the towel that I was using and I had to unravel the towel a little to find it. But I pushed the fish into my hand slowly and dropped him into the tank. After that I dosed a little bit of stress coat lol. Another one was when I was a little kid I was changing the water for my goldfish and I straight up used tap water. It was definetely chlorinated, but the next day the fish survived(we never uesd de-chlorinator, we just let the water sit out and we waited for the chlorine to dissipate. of course I never realized that chlorine wasn't good, but now I understand). So yeah I've had some weird experiences but these 2 kinda stick out.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my first exp with fish was in 2000 I got a tank for x mass and the store guy gave me the fish same day big mistake on his part and mine the fish got pop eye and fin rot and died first two days

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SM1199 said:
One time, while doing my regular water change and my lid was off, my betta decided to yeet right out of the tank. Of course, it couldn't be over the front or sides, it just had to be over the back. He fell in between the two-inch crevice between my stand and the wall, all the way onto the carpeted floor.

If you don't know, a full 10 gallon tank on a hard wooden desk is probably somewhere around 150 - 200 pounds. The only way I could access him was by lifting up the desk and pulling it forward. It felt like forever, but it was probably only a couple minutes, and I did manage to lift the desk with tank on it and pull it all forward - miraculously, without any water spilling! I scooped him up and put him back in the tank. He was fine, minus the carpet fuzz, and lived another year after that.

To make this more eventful - he was a double-tail betta I had rescued with nearly completely melted fins. The store gave him to me for free because "You really want that dead betta? Okay... Fine?" He made an amazing recovery, and despite some obvious genetic defects (fish equivalent of scoliosis, among other things), he lived through near-death twice and ended up dying of old age, of all things!

His name was Osiris, "Egyptian lord of the underworld and judge of the dead," fittingly. Here's a photo of his fin melt recovery.
Wow he looks amazing! Can't believe the store just gave up on the betta :(

bgntoc said:
I haven't had fish for too long but once, I got two guppies from petsmart. After acclimating them, I used a kitchen strainer(I didn't have a net at the time, and using my hands just didn't work. Please don't judge me lol don't worry i've gotten a net now) to scoop them out. Well, one of the guppies, which was an endler, decided to jump out of the strainer through the gap of my hand. It fell on the counter thingy that the tank was/is on. I panicked and literally just stood there. I didn't know what to do since I was afraid I would hurt it in some way. And the worst thing was that the fish was stuck in the towel that I was using and I had to unravel the towel a little to find it. But I pushed the fish into my hand slowly and dropped him into the tank. After that I dosed a little bit of stress coat lol. Another one was when I was a little kid I was changing the water for my goldfish and I straight up used tap water. It was definetely chlorinated, but the next day the fish survived(we never uesd de-chlorinator, we just let the water sit out and we waited for the chlorine to dissipate. of course I never realized that chlorine wasn't good, but now I understand). So yeah I've had some weird experiences but these 2 kinda stick out.
I've made many mistakes too, especially during the "first years". Luckily they were hardy fish, but I feel bad now.

johnbetta said:
my first exp with fish was in 2000 I got a tank for x mass and the store guy gave me the fish same day big mistake on his part and mine the fish got pop eye and fin rot and died first two days
That must have been a terrible experience! The lengths some pet stores go to sell their fish.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
I've made many mistakes too, especially during the "first years". Luckily they were hardy fish, but I feel bad now.
Yeah. Definitely, but these mistakes have one benefit though. They do give us more experience and teach us things. Sometimes, they prove the internet isn't always correct. I know this is slighty off topic but having kept goldfish as a child(it is still alive right now) I don't believe in the fact(in my opinion myth) that a goldfish's organs keep growing even if it is stunted. First of all, people are like my fancy goldfish or my shubunkin goldfish is 8 inches. That's how big there supposed to be, or else they are stunted! Um, no? Fancies can grow up to 14 inches, although I believe that they might be able to grow even larger. Who knows how big shubunkins and just other goldfish in general might get? That means that most if not all goldfish are stunted, yet people still believe in the organ thing. My goldfish is fine and doesn't have trouble doing things that fish normally do, even though it is stunted. I don't know what kind it is, but its only about 4-5 inches and its not fancy, even tho I kept it in a bowl it still grew(I did water changes every other day). Assuming its organs have reached bursting point, I can't tell. I mean, he or she swims normally; goldie swims like a "full sized goldfish". Not to mention the fact that the oldest goldfishes in the world are ALL stunted. Of course, I do not recommend stunting your fish. The only problem I have with stunting in goldfish is that this often suggests that the goldfish lived in a bad environment. So basically you can learn much from your mistakes too, even if your fish suffered :(. Okay yeah I'm sorry if I got off topic. For my tropical tank, I did as much research as possible and I'm happy to say to I think its going pretty well!

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gel0city said:
That must have been a terrible experience! The lengths some pet stores go to sell their fish.
I agree they try and push there fish sales alot

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
johnbetta said:
I agree they try and push there fish sales alot
I have received so much bad information from stores like PetCo :(
Luckily some stores know what they are talking about, but most don't and make profit off of the beginners in the hobby.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gold fish can grow to 38 cm even bigger the oldest gold fish I know of lived for 45 years

Gel0city said:
ahh true

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
First time my brother took care of the fish for a weekend. I told him to feed this 10 gallon tank "a pinch of flake food." He proceeded to feed them the biggest pinch of food humanly possible, which turned the tank from fine to murky-brown and rancid in 3 days. Cue me coming home, flipping out, tearing down the whole tank after scooping the fish into a bucket, and rinsing out the whole tank outside with a hose. It was THAT nasty.

Surprisingly, nothing died, or seemed any worse for wear aside from swollen bellies.

PenguinTetra38

Reaction score
My horror story I pretty embarrassing. I was dosing API algae fix to help with an algae problem but I misread the directions. The directions said dose once every three days but I read it as dose three times a day! :banghead: once two of my harlequin Rasboras died I realized my mistake and did a massive water change to dilute the algae fix. Luckily nothing else died! That just goes to show you, ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE DIRECTIONS!!

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
PenguinTetra38 said:
My horror story I pretty embarrassing. I was dosing API algae fix to help with an algae problem but I misread the directions. The directions said dose once every three days but I read it as dose three times a day! :banghead: once two of my harlequin Rasboras died I realized my mistake and did a massive water change to dilute the algae fix. Luckily nothing else died! That just goes to show you, ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE DIRECTIONS!!
Oh no! 3 times a day :eek: You must have been confused when your fish died.

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BlackOsprey said:
First time my brother took care of the fish for a weekend. I told him to feed this 10 gallon tank "a pinch of flake food." He proceeded to feed them the biggest pinch of food humanly possible, which turned the tank from fine to murky-brown and rancid in 3 days. Cue me coming home, flipping out, tearing down the whole tank after scooping the fish into a bucket, and rinsing out the whole tank outside with a hose. It was THAT nasty.

Surprisingly, nothing died, or seemed any worse for wear aside from swollen bellies.
Back when I was a beginner, I used to overfeed :banghead: (Learned since then, of course). The smell must have been horrible too!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
I have received so much bad information from stores like PetCo :(
Luckily some stores know what they are talking about, but most don't and make profit off of the beginners in the hobby.
Yeah, my dad asked an employee and she told us to run the filter for a week and we could add fish to the tank. Thank goodness I did my research and realized that was NOT the case. Its sad because when you do your research AFTER you get the animal, your pet may have been suffering for some time and it wastes lots of money too :(.

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bgntoc said:
Yeah, my dad asked an employee and she told us to run the filter for a week and we could add fish to the tank. Thank goodness I did my research and realized that was NOT the case. Its sad because when you do your research AFTER you get the animal, your pet may have been suffering for some time and it wastes lots of money too :(.
Pet stores try to make profit off of beginners :( (Not saying all do, MOST do). I would agree that cycling your tank is important and saves you stress and money in the long run. Plus, your fish would probably survive too :D

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
Pet stores try to make profit off of beginners :( (Not saying all do, MOST do). I would agree that cycling your tank is important and saves you stress and money in the long run. Plus, your fish would probably survive too :D
Yeah. I learned the importance of research when I got my hamster from petsmart. They gave me a cage taht was really small, like smaller than a ten gallon tank, but hamsters need minimum of 450. Because of this, my hamster was probably stressed for some time and I also wasted a really big amount of money.... it took a lot to convince my parents for a larger cage :(

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bgntoc said:
Yeah. I learned the importance of research when I got my hamster from petsmart. They gave me a cage taht was really small, like smaller than a ten gallon tank, but hamsters need minimum of 450. Because of this, my hamster was probably stressed for some time and I also wasted a really big amount of money.... it took a lot to convince my parents for a larger cage :(
Never had hamsters before, but makes sense they need a 450 gallon. They need a lot of space, lol

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
Never had hamsters before, but makes sense they need a 450 gallon. They need a lot of space, lol
Oh sorry, I meant 450 sq inches of space lol. Basically, a 40 gallon tank. Although a hamster would definitely appreciate a 450 gallon lol they run a lot, when they put food in their wheel you can hear the how fast they run. Sometimes when I was going downstairs to get water I could hear the seeds rattle around while my hamster was running.

New Threads