Share Your Fish Store Horror Stories

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I took a trip to WalMart, to get some dog food and a few other things, and since I was already in the pet section, I decided to take a few pics. There were multiple dead fish in each tank, loads of fish on their way to death in every tank, and every Betta they had was just about dead, too. So I tooK some pics, and I think I'll see about E-Mailing them to WalMart. If any one has an E-Mail I could send these too, feel free to PM it to me.

Now, I know other people have seen things like this, and not just at WalMart. I think it needs to be addressed. So why not? Post some pics, and tell where they were taken.

Attachments

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Walmarts the worst when it comes to fish.....yes the big box stores are just as bad with their betta cups but at least I dont see a ton of dead fish and algae in EVERY SINGLE TANK like I do at walmart. Im not even sure the fish at walmart get fed on a regular basis. And 3 to 4 arowanas (Dragon fish....as they call them) In a little ten gallon tank that the filters not even working in.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wow walmart has live fish now?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jetajockey said:
wow walmart has live fish now?
Only on occation XD

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Aquagirl1978 said:
Walmarts the worst when it comes to fish.....yes the big box stores are just as bad with their betta cups but at least I dont see a ton of dead fish and algae in EVERY SINGLE TANK like I do at walmart. Im not even sure the fish at walmart get fed on a regular basis. And 3 to 4 arowanas (Dragon fish....as they call them) In a little ten gallon tank that the filters not even working in.
Are you sure those are arowanas and not dragon gobies? As far as I know, arowanas are probably W-A-Y too expensive for Walmart to afford, much less keep in such horrible conditions (I mean, arowanas go around for $100 dollars or more each).

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are dragon gobys, I've stopped to watch them do death convulsions on numerous occasions while shopping for hair care products.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OOOPS my bad yeah they are dragon gobys but even at that they stuff 4 or more into a 10 gallon tank. Wow Arrowanas are 100 bucks in your area???? unfortunately my LFS sells juvis for 15 to 20 bucks and im sure many people make the mistake of buying one but they are pretty good at letting you know at the small mom n pop store great care and appropriate tanks and tankmates for what you plan on getting, unlike walmart.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most stores won't let you take photos inside. I'm actually surprised you weren't stopped at walmart.

Thankfully my local walmart doesn't sell fish. So no worries there. The local petco has the usual dead fish here or there in their tanks.

It's actually one of my local privately owned fish stores that's the worst. Plenty of sick fish everywhere, lots of dead fish, every single plant covered in black algae. I only go there for supplies if I can't get anywhere else, I will never buy a fish there.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of the LFS in my area is awful. I walk in and it smells like death. The fish tanks are fully of dead/dying fish. The other animal like reptiles, birds, etc. are in awful condition.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RayRay said:
Most stores won't let you take photos inside. I'm actually surprised you weren't stopped at walmart....
I waited till there wasnt any body around (even then I was looking over my shoulder, just waiting to be yelled at or some thing >.<)

fishingman001 said:
One of the LFS in my area is awful. I walk in and it smells like death. The fish tanks are fully of dead/dying fish. The other animal like reptiles, birds, etc. are in awful condition.
Thats the southern branch of the LFS that bred Gambit. The one I got him at is amazing, but the other store is terrible! D= Ich in just about every tank, dead fish in every tank.... Even the Ghost Shrimp were all dead last time I was in there. How do you kill Ghost Shrimp??

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i think every walmart that has fish has problems,even the one up here in minn has nothing but dead fish.my wife is a personel manager there and i have told her she should suggest getting rid of there tanks,but she says as long as there is demand for them that walmart will continue to sell.all they care about is the almighty dollar.i have complained many times,they even told me that if i didnt like it to go else were so i do.and that came from an asosiat that works there.ever since i havent seen that person there.i still go and check on things.when they see me coming they all bolt from that area.

Mylar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ever see how bettas get shipped?

It makes the cups look like paradise.

You know those old fashioned frozen juice pops, where to save on packaging they take a tube of paper and then crimp the ends at a 90 degree angle from each other to create an open space? yeah, think that but smaller.

There are two pictures of them halfway down on this page

They are in there with MAYBE two tablespoons of a heavily medicated chemical mix that I hesitate to call water.

40 or 50 of those crammed into a bag similar to a plastic grocery bag, two bags crammed into an old printer paper box with no insulation or padding. Thats the betta shipment I watched get unloaded a couple weeks ago. I took a few pics with my cell, but they are fuzzy as heck.

Most of the fish were not even fully submerged in the packets, when the guy layed them out to see if they were alive as he was putting them into the cups most were laying on their sides, not because they were ill, but because thats the only way they fit in the bag.

The scariest part... it works. there were only three dead in a shipment that had to have contained between eighty and a hundred betta fish. aka, no incentive to change.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mylar said:
Ever see how bettas get shipped?

It makes the cups look like paradise.

You know those old fashioned frozen juice pops, where to save on packaging they take a tube of paper and then crimp the ends at a 90 degree angle from each other to create an open space? yeah, think that but smaller.

There are two pictures of them halfway down on this page

They are in there with MAYBE two tablespoons of a heavily medicated chemical mix that I hesitate to call water.

40 or 50 of those crammed into a bag similar to a plastic grocery bag, two bags crammed into an old printer paper box with no insulation or padding. Thats the betta shipment I watched get unloaded a couple weeks ago. I took a few pics with my cell, but they are fuzzy as heck.

Most of the fish were not even fully submerged in the packets, when the guy layed them out to see if they were alive as he was putting them into the cups most were laying on their sides, not because they were ill, but because thats the only way they fit in the bag.

The scariest part... it works. there were only three dead in a shipment that had to have contained between eighty and a hundred betta fish. aka, no incentive to change.
The saddest part, is that since Bettas are actually pretty tough fish (even tho they dont look like they are), they will continue to do it untill some one imprtant says something about it.

Losech

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I verymuchso disagree with almost all of this guy's entire site.

The guy's information about ONLY keeping bettas in tiny cups is infuriating.

I have walked into more than a few petcos and petsmarts and seen nothing but dead fish. Won't even buy supplies from those kinds of stores. One fishstore near me had a fungussed arowana in the tank when I went in to check it out. Only gone there once since, just to double-check on their supplies. Everything they carry I can get cheaper at the other two LFS in my area, and they take MUCH better care of their fish.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Akari_32 said:
I took a trip to WalMart, ..., I decided to take a few pics.
If you send those pictures to anyone, you could be arrested. You were on private property and did not have permission to photograph. Although WalMart invites the public into the store, it is still considered private property. In fact, many WalMarts have signage indicating no cameras are allowed inside the store. Now WalMart has a rule prohibiting pictures taken inside the store due to loss prevention and competitor reasons.

beast02

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I went to my local WalMart the other day with my girlfriend, while I was browsing the supplies, she went over to look at the live fish. (This store has maybe 9-12 tanks total, one being for plants.) She called me over shortly after, what I saw was horrible. No exaggeration here, one tank of Platies had at least 10-15 dead Platies in it, all sucked up against the filter. Most of the tanks had at least one dead Common Pleco plus atleast 3+ of whatever was in the tank. I looked into the plant tank and there was a descent sized bichir, 8+ inches and another one dead with chunks taken out of it also around the same size. The poor Oscars, I was infuriated after looking at them. One was so skinny with his eyes bulging out, the others all had the beginnings of HITH. It was like a death camp for fish. I vowed to never buy anything pet related from their again, and I already don't shop their unless absolutely necessary.

bettawaters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
beast02 said:
I went to my local WalMart the other day with my girlfriend, while I was browsing the supplies, she went over to look at the live fish. (This store has maybe 9-12 tanks total, one being for plants.) She called me over shortly after, what I saw was horrible. No exaggeration here, one tank of Platies had at least 10-15 dead Platies in it, all sucked up against the filter. Most of the tanks had at least one dead Common Pleco plus atleast 3+ of whatever was in the tank. I looked into the plant tank and there was a descent sized bichir, 8+ inches and another one dead with chunks taken out of it also around the same size. The poor Oscars, I was infuriated after looking at them. One was so skinny with his eyes bulging out, the others all had the beginnings of HITH. It was like a death camp for fish. I vowed to never buy anything pet related from their again, and I already don't shop their unless absolutely necessary.
whats HITH?

Kopeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The state of the fish at my local walmarts are disgusting. 75% of the fish are dead every time I am there. Yet people still buy from these places. There was a tank of goldfish and every single fish had no fins due to finrot.

If walmart sold dogs or cats in that condition PETA would be on them so hard. Yet for fish this is deemed fine. Sometimes I think these animal rights organizations need to remember what they are fighting for...

gunner13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@bettawaters it is Hole In The Head a common disease in Oscars caused mainly by poor water quality.
Nick

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is one Albino Oscar at my LFS the has HITH, but I know they keep the water clean there, because every time I go in there, they are doing water changes. I think they are just waiting for the right home to come along for him. He's pretty cute, other then the big hole in the side of his head >.<

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom