Share Your Fish Journy

NearMeBettas

Share a summery, or a story about your fish keeping journey. Some of you have had a smooth start, and some a like mine. But I hope we all get something close to perfection one day.

When I was a lil kid I got my first aquarium, gifted to me by my parents after having to rehome my bunnies. It was a ten gallon with a heater and filter, and It was cycled. It had pink and purple gravel, a pink princess castle, and pink and purple plastic plants. It housed a couple of feeder goldfish, which didn't make it long. I went and got guppies and platies along with a few misc. fish along the way. I was gifted my brothers ten gallon he no longer wanted.

A few months later I got 2 fish bowls and a couple bettas. Neither lived to be a year.

I sold one of my ten gallons and all of the others inhabitants. I got 2 glo fish skirt tetra, a pleco, and a guppy male. As you can imagine, one of the tetra and the guppy died. I gifted the rest if the fish and my entire set up and gave it a break for a couple years.

Came back 2 years later. I bought a 3 gallon and had a betta in it. The betta died within a week as it had ich when I got it and I wasn't experienced with treating it. I then got a female betta, 3 plates, and 3 guppies and put them in the 3 gallon. I finally did a tiny bit of my own research and moved them to a ten gallon. I got 4 female bettas and a molly. I then upgraded to a 29 gallon tank and added more bettas and live bearers.

Now, fast forward to 2021. I have sold all of my fish except for my bettas and actually still have the female I had in the 3 gallon. I have 6 bronz corydoras, 15 mystery snails, 4 fiddler crabs, a my newest additions of 6 purple pincher hermit crabs. I am now a hobby betta breeder and am focusing on Galaxy koi HMPK. I have a 20 gallon betta sorority, 5 gallons for all of my boys, a 5 gallon fiddler crab tank, a 29 gallon tank for my leopard gecko George, and a 60 gallon tank for my hermit crabs. I can thank this forum to the last few months of learning. A good hobbiest never stops learning and can always grow. That's part of what makes the aquarium hobby so amazing. Thanks Fishlore, I'm never turning back.

Kzza

Fun thread!
So when i was in elementary school my friend had three fish tanks, two of them she wasn't using, and she was trying to get rid of them because she was moving. She had some fish that were reproducing a lot, and apparently they were very mean and would eat all her goldfish. She told me if someone didn't take them she would have no choice but to kill them, because no local fish stores would take them. My kind heart didn't want any fishys dying, so after begging my parents for days they let me have the fish. The tank came with a very quiet filter, fish food, and a lid. I was not informed about cycling, acclimating, temperature, etc. Me and my father and little sister when out to buy gravel for the tank I was getting. We found some cool natural gravel that my dad picked out. And when we were looking at the shelves I saw a really fake looking log which I liked at the time, so we got it (it was $20, I still have it, and I hate it. Such a waste!) . When I got my fish I dumped all seven in my tank. (forgot to mention I found out after some research that these were convict cichlids) They did really great at first but then 4 sadly passed. Then I started doing a lot of research on convicts. like a lot! I was really interested in there behaviors.and soon enough I was always talking about my fish, and as I remember my family was quite annoyed.

About half a year later I was saving up to get my second tank. It was a 10 gallon kit. I wanted it to look "pretty" so I got this hideous blue and purple gravel, and a bunch of fake pink plants. I was taught how to cycle my aquarium buy one of the employees working at pet pro. When I was finished with my cycle, he tested the water for me, and said it was good. I talked to him about breeding platys. He told me that I should get a breeder box, and when she looks big to put her in. So of course I bought it. I did some research on breeder boxes. And I found fishlore, and a few other forums that had info on breeder boxes! After researching learned that it wasn't always good to put a pregnant fish in a breeder. So I got three platys, but didn't use the breeder box. I didn't acclimate and so one fish immediately died. My platy gave birth to three lovely fry about a month later. I was sooo happy! But then ick came and killed all of my fry. I bought an ick treatment and my two platys (one male and one female) were ok. I was very angry that my fry had died so I bought four or five more platys. I didn't quarantine and I didn't understand water testing. All of my fish got ick again, and this time I lost all of the new fish I had just bought. One of my fish died later on and I was left with one male.

I never gave up though! I now have 6 tanks, and I feel great about how far I have come. I love fish keeping. It is the best thing that ever happend to me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Salem
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishfriendof315
Replies