Question Shard Isn't Doing So Well Again

FancyBubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's currently "floating around", swimming but not really trying to. I just noticed him under that black screening thing on the filter. He was just under that thing. I thought he was dead, but when I went to net him out he darted and swam away.

Could he be dying? Should I quarantine him? I've only seen fish that were about to die stay next to a filter or stay afloat under a filter like he did.

That small filter is modified so I can put other media. (cartridge was not made to open, to I had to break the top and bottom.) My main filter is a Tetra Whisper filter.
baff5d0b1efe23a760d98dac6755da8b.jpg
9d4d0196a45845ba9e197dc3c40f4740.jpg

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Poor guy. Can you link your original post here? I don’t know his story but I’m guessing quarantining is not a bad idea.

Is it his swim bladder?

FancyBubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From your comment in the other post:

ok so I just now noticed another strange behavior. Not constantly, but when he's moving he would do this awkward bent position, and suddenly dart against the sand. Could he actually be sick? He's swimming in that weird bent position. I have seen him swimming normally though.
Take a look at a recent post of mine, mainly the last few comments. I lost a couple of puffers who had similar behaviors and the supplier declared that swim bladder disease was the issue. Not saying that it in your case, just for your consideration.

Puffer Problems Swimming.
Puffer Problems Swimming.

FancyBubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just now saw him floating on his side he's swimming around and all with difficulty, but when he's not moving he's floating like that.

Is there anything I could do?
66e730265ac5935f2462a38e8fab9e16.jpg

FancyBubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It seems he has stopped moving completely. I noticed he also has a crooked spine. I remember when I first got him, it wasn't as bad.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bless him. Sometimes you can give an epsom salt soak and it will help take down any swelling and take some pressure off the swim bladder. Doesn’t always work but worth a try. Recommendations vary, but I personally use an isolation tank and keep them in 1 tablespoon per gallon of epsom salt water until they improve. Make sure to get pure-no additives.

Also, the spine could just look crooked because of the increased pressure in his body from interstitial swelling. That’s where hopefully the epsom salt can help.

FancyBubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's not responding, can't tell if his gills are moving or not. Even in the isolation tank he would still swim and try to hide when he sees a shadow moving.

I don't think he's alive at this point. I see no movement at all.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's not responding, can't tell if his gills are moving or not. Even in the isolation tank he would still swim and try to hide when he sees a shadow moving.

I don't think he's alive at this point. I see no movement at all.
I’m so sorry to hear that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom