Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Demeter

If you've got several tanks I bet you have one or two you never talk about because it is so shameful. For me it's a tiny 1.5gal(?) cube and then a 2.5gal, both have a single betta, 1 piece of wood, snails, and a handful of plants.

I never intended to use the cube and I never used to have it until one sibling took pity on a friend's tiny fantail goldfish and put it in her 36gal with another calico fantail. It just so happened that a sassy dumbo halfmoon female couldn't play nice in the 29gal sorority so she was demoted to the cube. She's honestly spoiled, I've planted the tank and do at least 2 weekly 75% water changes. Yes, it's heated and filtered with minimal flow.

The 2.5gal is the tank I pay the least attention too. The terrible LED light barely grows the duckweed and anubias on the driftwood and the internal filter section takes up too much room for my liking. The glass top is nice, until the betta managed to jump through the tiny feeding hole and died, only to be replaced by his brother. Someday I should get a decent lamp for it and really get it planted, but for now Mr. PK will survive, he's getting a little long in the tooth but remains energetic.

david1978

I have had a few over the years. A 29 overflowing with guppies. A 55 with more convicts then water.

NavyChief20

50 gallon betta tank. My daughter wanted a betta, which ill be honest they are feeder fish for my cichlids. But she wanted a pretty tank and wanted it big. So I made a 50 gallon cube with an integrated sump.

Lots of plants and lava rock n sand and one fricking betta. Well her betta lived like ficking CardI B and had some danios as tank mates. Really nice setup but it infuriates me that feeder fish are taking up a perfectly good grow out tank for my JD fry.

Platylover

I don't really have a "shame" tank, I have done stupid things and felt a bit of stupidity or shame over that and don't talk about it to much.

I'm someone who would be willing to try a taboo and not broadcast that I'm doing it until I know it works out. The main reason I do that is so that if it doesn't work out then others will not see that someone tried and just assume it works( like many people do. They see one photo of a puffer with a betta and assume it goes well) and I also don't like getting hounded over things, which frankly, does happen a fair bit to people that do things others disagree with in fish keeping. Particularly when I've already heard the reasons and have considered them.

I likely "overstock" some of my tanks in the standards of others, but I generally know my tanks and know what will and will not go. I practically always over filter and have loads of plants as well, so the bioload generally isn't a major issue. I do have a topless betta tank which has had 0 problems thus far(2 years), granted it may be primarily because my boy is blind, but he still does perfectly well without a top.

NavyChief20 said:
50 gallon betta tank. My daughter wanted a betta, which ill be honest they are feeder fish for my cichlids. But she wanted a pretty tank and wanted it big. So I made a 50 gallon cube with an integrated sump.

Lots of plants and lava rock n sand and one fricking betta. Well her betta lived like ficking CardI B and had some danios as tank mates. Really nice setup but it infuriates me that feeder fish are taking up a perfectly good grow out tank for my JD fry.
lol, that's really funny. I guess the "b" in "CardI B" stands for betta.

midna

all of my tanks are shame tanks right now lol. I don't like how any of them look.

kallililly1973

midna said:
all of my tanks are shame tanks right now lol. I don't like how any of them look.
We never do. then we move a plant or a piece of driftwood or a rock and were excited about it hahahaha... I think we all have a little Betta in us . My shame tank is actually a small fish bowl that I grow java moss in and put rocks in to grow algae for my Oto Cats I rotate it almost everyday it sits on a stool in a window where the sun comes up and I change the water about every 3 weeks. the java moss clump does amazing without a heater and sitting in stagnant water. Its also a catch all for little remnants of plants that float around the tanks

PheonixKingZ

A 1.5 gallon trash tank!! It has like, barely any gravel, 2 plants, a slow filter, and a very spoiled zebra danio(he used to have 2 White Cloud Mountain minnows but one died, and one jumped thru the feeding hole like your betta!! Lol I hate the way it looks. I guess your right; we ALL have a shame tank!!

swtmudpie

My 20 gal is my shame tank. I have rescaped it at least 3-4 times in two years. Can't seem to get it how I want it to look!

wrs2

Currently all of mine. Nerite snails are going crazy with egg production over hard scape, disgusting. Blue green slime algae in two tanks. One is brown and the other is green. They stink. My black water tank is awful. The stuff all has that nasty film on it. I honestly hate all of my tanks currently. I want to toss them out and start over.

MomeWrath

I've been keeping fish a long time, but it hasn't been always something I took as seriously as I am starting to. Really until I kept saltwater I was very laissez faire about it. If I went by the standards of some, I should be ashamed of all of my tanks:
I have a danio that lives alone in a 5 gallon - not because I wanted him to but because he is a terrorist and tried to murderize everything in the tank he used to be in, including the betta. RIght now he can only terrorize the snails.
I have a 3.6 gallon tank with a betta in it. It's got flow like crazy but he's a plakat and honestly doesn't seem to mind. Many say that is too small.
I have a 10 in my daughter's room that she shows little interest in, and became a catch all. Tried schools of small fish in the 5 gallon before, and both times lost all but one fish over the course of a couple of years, so her tank has one glowlight tetra, one harlequin rasbora, one kuhlI loach, and a betta. It used to house a single green cory as well, and he lived there for several years all alone. I know those are all schooling fish and should not be alone. I also know that I don't have time to put up a Craigslist ad and drive halfway cross town to rehome a fish that costs less than the gas to get there. *shrug*
I have a 75 with an oscar in it. He's all alone and not very big yet. I love it and it's working out for me so far, but I know it's ultimately too small and I am not about to drop the coin for a bigger tank, largely because anything bigger than a 75 is too big for the space it is in.
So that's my shame story. Fire away.

PheonixKingZ

Demeter said:
If you've got several tanks I bet you have one or two you never talk about because it is so shameful. For me it's a tiny 1.5gal(?) cube and then a 2.5gal, both have a single betta, 1 piece of wood, snails, and a handful of plants.

I never intended to use the cube and I never used to have it until one sibling took pity on a friend's tiny fantail goldfish and put it in her 36gal with another calico fantail. It just so happened that a sassy dumbo halfmoon female couldn't play nice in the 29gal sorority so she was demoted to the cube. She's honestly spoiled, I've planted the tank and do at least 2 weekly 75% water changes. Yes, it's heated and filtered with minimal flow.

The 2.5gal is the tank I pay the least attention too. The terrible LED light barely grows the duckweed and anubias on the driftwood and the internal filter section takes up too much room for my liking. The glass top is nice, until the betta managed to jump through the tiny feeding hole and died, only to be replaced by his brother. Someday I should get a decent lamp for it and really get it planted, but for now Mr. PK will survive, he's getting a little long in the tooth but remains energetic.
That actually looks really good, I mean I love the live plants, and the sand, and you betta is so beautiful!! I would not really call that a shame tank!!

Is that tank tetra brand?

CaptainAquatics

I don't really have a ¨Shame¨ tank. I have had tank where I think I could make it look better but I and not really ashamed of any of my tanks. My only tank that is remotely close to a ¨shame¨ tank is my misqueto fish that I don't think I have ever mentioned. I have a single misqeto fish in a 1 gallon betta tank. However I am really proud of him as he is my oldest fish I have. I have had that little misqueto fish for 8 years. He is my oldest fish that I own

SilverStar

Both my tanks are shame tanks. They're riddled with algae and not as planted as I'd like them to be. Perhaps my bettas would appreciate a rescape.

jjohnwm

My shame tank is an old 50-gallon tank that I re-commissioned shortly after moving into my current home, to house a few fish that had been brought indoors for the winter from my pond. Not a display tank...don't have many of those...so I stood it up on concrete blocks in my basement fishroom, filled 'er up, plopped in a mature sponge filter and carefully transferred and acclimated the fish. Good so far...but what's this? The dang tank is leaking, a steady drip...drip...drip from the back corner. Now, coincidentally, the floor sump is about 2 feet away, and that's where I often drain changed water into anyway when I'm too lazy to run a hose outside, so I figured no huge rush was involved. I would fix it at my leisure. I just topped it up with a bucket every day and smiled; there was no rush to repair.

Is my shame due to the fact that I didn't correct the problem immediately? No! You see, I quickly noticed that the leak was a steady rate loss of water that amounted to about 4.5 - 5 gallons daily, which was trickling along the concrete floor into the nearby sump. Now, my water changes are done from a couple of large plastic containers which I fill with water from my well. This icy stuff is heated in those storage bins (the only treatment required) and then fed into my tanks with a hose attached to a faucet-style valve in the bottom of each bin.

So I looked at the leaking tank, with its little dribble running into the sump...and then I looked at the nearest water storage bin, which was almost directly overhead...and I thought "hmmmm….." Within minutes I had the fill hose unrolled and clamped into position above the leaker. I started to fiddle with the ball valve controlling the flow rate; it took a few hours of off-and-on tweaking and adjusting, but eventually I was able to balance the flow into the tank with the leakage loss. I had a continuous-flow-through system working!

So, my shame is related to the extreme laziness displayed, yes? NO!!! I let this system run for weeks, and it worked...but every time I did a water change that required moving the hose to another tank, I needed to re-adjust the drip rate once I returned the hose to the leaker. So I thought "hmmmm…." and waited until that storage tank had drained down to empty. I quickly used my holesaw to cut another hole in it, installed another ball-valve faucet with its own hose, and voila: I had my continuous-flow water changer working...umm, well...working continuously! The second hose let me carry on with regular work in other tanks, and this little microcosm of laziness could continue to function.

So...that's it...that's the root source of my shame...the fact that I am so lazy that I did all this fiddly work to avoid draining and repairing the 50...right? WRONG!!!!!!

Here's the kicker: that Rube-Goldberg/Mickey-Mouse contraption has now been running for FOUR YEARS...and I still have the gall to insist that I will fix that 50 someday. By my rough calculations, something like 6000 gallons of water has dribbled out of that tank, replaced by another 6000 that has dribbled in...and not one drop of it has been moved with a bucket.

So...where do I pick up my trophy?

MomeWrath

jjohnwm said:
My shame tank is an old 50-gallon tank that I re-commissioned shortly after moving into my current home, to house a few fish that had been brought indoors for the winter from my pond. Not a display tank...don't have many of those...so I stood it up on concrete blocks in my basement fishroom, filled 'er up, plopped in a mature sponge filter and carefully transferred and acclimated the fish. Good so far...but what's this? The dang tank is leaking, a steady drip...drip...drip from the back corner. Now, coincidentally, the floor sump is about 2 feet away, and that's where I often drain changed water into anyway when I'm too lazy to run a hose outside, so I figured no huge rush was involved. I would fix it at my leisure. I just topped it up with a bucket every day and smiled; there was no rush to repair.

Is my shame due to the fact that I didn't correct the problem immediately? No! You see, I quickly noticed that the leak was a steady rate loss of water that amounted to about 4.5 - 5 gallons daily, which was trickling along the concrete floor into the nearby sump. Now, my water changes are done from a couple of large plastic containers which I fill with water from my well. This icy stuff is heated in those storage bins (the only treatment required) and then fed into my tanks with a hose attached to a faucet-style valve in the bottom of each bin.

So I looked at the leaking tank, with its little dribble running into the sump...and then I looked at the nearest water storage bin, which was almost directly overhead...and I thought "hmmmm….." Within minutes I had the fill hose unrolled and clamped into position above the leaker. I started to fiddle with the ball valve controlling the flow rate; it took a few hours of off-and-on tweaking and adjusting, but eventually I was able to balance the flow into the tank with the leakage loss. I had a continuous-flow-through system working!

So, my shame is related to the extreme laziness displayed, yes? NO!!! I let this system run for weeks, and it worked...but every time I did a water change that required moving the hose to another tank, I needed to re-adjust the drip rate once I returned the hose to the leaker. So I thought "hmmmm…." and waited until that storage tank had drained down to empty. I quickly used my holesaw to cut another hole in it, installed another ball-valve faucet with its own hose, and voila: I had my continuous-flow water changer working...umm, well...working continuously! The second hose let me carry on with regular work in other tanks, and this little microcosm of laziness could continue to function.

So...that's it...that's the root source of my shame...the fact that I am so lazy that I did all this fiddly work to avoid draining and repairing the 50...right? WRONG!!!!!!

Here's the kicker: that Rube-Goldberg/Mickey-Mouse contraption has now been running for FOUR YEARS...and I still have the gall to insist that I will fix that 50 someday. By my rough calculations, something like 6000 gallons of water has dribbled out of that tank, replaced by another 6000 that has dribbled in...and not one drop of it has been moved with a bucket.

So...where do I pick up my trophy?
That's not shameful. That's flipping GENIUS.

jjohnwm

Magicpenny75 said:
That's not shameful. That's flipping GENIUS.
Maybe, if I had actually planned it that way...but all I did was stand there looking at some coincidences, while going "hmmmm…."

Thunder_o_b

Nope.

Sharkesse

My shame tank is my QT which has been neglected because it's empty. I need to change the water because the levels are going down, and clean out the bottom. I just haven't used it yet because no new or sick fish. I keep having to resist the urge to replant it and turn it into a betta tank though xD

JaksAquatics

Sharkesse said:
My shame tank is my QT which has been neglected because it's empty. I need to change the water because the levels are going down, and clean out the bottom. I just haven't used it yet because no new or sick fish. I keep having to resist the urge to replant it and turn it into a betta tank though xD
and this is why I don't have quarrintine

Sharkesse

blue velvet keeper said:
and this is why I don't have quarrintine
Ugh, it's becoming more trouble than it's worth really. I set it up as an emergency measure when I had a bad bout of ich and mystery fungal/bacterial diseases on my old tank, so I didn't want to dump new fish straight in since it seemed to be some kind of "death trap" for any new residents! I'm planning on dismantling it and storing it away when I have no new fish to add, but that's still going to be a few months down the line

Platylover

jjohnwm said:
You mentioned the obvious pun sitting there...a sitting duck, as the old expression goes...too easy. Old guy joke.
Ah I see. It’s been a few years since I’ve heard that expression lol

aced it

My 10 has hard water stains halfway down it from when it was unstocked and I didn't feel like tearing it down and let half the water evaporate out. After I got Wilson (my betta) I threw my extra java moss, anubia, and 4 or 5 silk plants in it and said I'd scape it out in a week or so. A month later, it looks exactly the same. It's filtered, heated, cycled, and I do regular water changes, so I don't feel like Wilson has a bad quality of life or anything, but it's just such an ugly tank.

Plecodreams

um lets not mention my betta tank that I never did anything with, didn't treat water, didn't do water changes, didn't clean tank(back when I was a newbie) but it lived for 2.5 years

PheonixKingZ

Really!?? You didn’t even treat the water? How on earth did it survive?!?

bigdreams

Got a 1.5 yr old 5 gallon Walstad tank. Had some shrimp in it but I made mistake of putting it in an inaccessible place (or rather too much other stuff in front of tank, making it a pain to get near it)... Plants doing awesome! Shrimp... Not so much. Never fed them and only have done three water top offs in over a year. One day I will make my way over and see if any shrimp survived in that jungle. Luckily I had a lid on the tank so water evaporation hasn't been horrible. Probably only half full at this time. I really need to admit the tank still exists and look at it . Definitely feel ashamed my shrimp didn't get more TLC.

goldface

Well, you know me. All my tanks are shame tanks.

nikm128

My shame tank is any fully stocked tank I have up when I go to the store and see something I refuse to leave without, or is super uncommon/new
More specifically, any 20 gallon high I get my hands on, will be overstocked, I don't know why or how, it just happens to every single 20 high I use. Maybe because their dimensions are misleading and they look way bigger than they are

wrs2

nikm128 said:
My shame tank is any fully stocked tank I have up when I go to the store and see something I refuse to leave without, or is super uncommon/new
More specifically, any 20 gallon high I get my hands on, will be overstocked, I don't know why or how, it just happens to every single 20 high I use. Maybe because their dimensions are misleading and they look way bigger than they are
I agree! Mine looks so big that I think I can add an angelfish to it without any issue. I haven't, but it makes me what to lol.

WinterSoldier.

My shame tank is my 10 gallon divided. I am so ashamed of it. I can't bear to look at it

Addie42

Lol my shame tank is my 2 gallon hex..... shouldn't have bought that lol
(not in use other than 4 water changes in smaller tanks)

swtmudpie

nikm128 said:
Same with mine...lol!

RyanC14

My ten-gallon betta tank originally had some small native minnows in it with some weird gross rainbow/gravel mixed with tan sand. When transferring the tank to a betta tank, I never took out the gravel and instead dumped black sand on top of it. Now the black sand and nasty gravel keep mixing whenever I try to vacuum the sand and it looks terrible. I do like the tank itself though.

Addie42

RyanC14 said:
My ten-gallon betta tank originally had some small native minnows in it with some weird gross rainbow/gravel mixed with tan sand. When transferring the tank to a betta tank, I never took out the gravel and instead dumped black sand on top of it. Now the black sand and nasty gravel keep mixing whenever I try to vacuum the sand and it looks terrible. I do like the tank itself though.
Ugh yeah I still have some freaking pink gravel in my 36 g from when I changed to natural substrate (got tank secondhand)
Every time I see the pink I sigh

Fanatic

I don’t have any tanks running that I consider shamed, but I have made some very inadequate purchases in the past.

Once, there was a sale at Petco on all of the GloFish supplies and fish, so we went out on the same day and bought a five gallon kit and came back the next day to pick up six tetras for it. The second time was when we went to the store looking to buy a smaller version of a kit tank I had already, and it was for shrimp, but we ended up buying three neon tetras and a couple ghost shrimp for a one gallon corner tank.

Both examples were quite big failures, but we eventually moved the tetras into our new 30 gallon tank, but have since rehomed them last year.

wrs2

This is what it looks like in my most shameful of tanks when I took all the plants out.... The plants must love this stuff because they are growing really good (crypts) but look at it! I try but it never is enough! Not to mention snail eggs all over the glass. I’m going to redo it all today so hopefully it won’t be shameful anymore!

PheonixKingZ

Lol!! When you show a shameful tank, you kinda want to fix it, to ease your conscience!!!

swtmudpie

This is my shame tank that I have recently redone to try and get rid of bba... not sure how long this "scape" will last as it is the fourth time.... lol!

swtmudpie

kallililly1973

swtmudpie said:
Looks nice... BBA can be a son of a gun to tame. What size tank is it? Looks like you are dosing co2...Maybe someone will come along to help you regulate the co2 and light schedule to wipe it out ...

PheonixKingZ

swtmudpie said:
I think your tank looks great!! It looks like you have tiger barbs in there, what other fish are living in there?

Megaladon

A ten gallon with two comet goldfish...

I was 10, my brother and sister won two goldfish, and as the resident "animal person" I ended up caring for them. I had an empty 10 gallon and we bought a filter, dechlorinator, decorations, and food. The care was very minimal, the only cleaning I did was the rare small water change. But the water managed to stay clear. They actually lived a few years, I don't remember exactly how long but it was at least 3 or 4 years.
The blue gravel (I know, I know) in my tank right now is actually from that tank, I figured why buy new substrate when I have some already, the blue doesn't bother me too much yet. I figured I'd change it eventually. I'm using the same filter too, that whisper 10I is still going strong!

Crazycoryfishlady

my 29 gallon jurassic rhombo tank... apparently, pavers sand melts plants, and that's about the only "toxic" thing about it. So everything I planted in there melted in weeks. it was awful. grasses are okay though... lol and ferns. the easiest of plants.. everything else is a big nope.
So now it's pretty empty and just has some grass here and there and a bunch of guppy fry. I'm going to be trying to redo some tanks today to get ready for a complete redo on them. I'll be working out hardscape and getting more hth sand soon, hopefully today lol
I have big plans for my biggest tank if things go as planned XD
My 55 kinda shamed a bit too. a lot of the plants in there melted as well or were dug up and sucked up by the filter, so now I have to buy lots more and retry..
my 20 long I actually ended up just taking down... it's sat empty for a bit. needs new sand too.

Fanatic

I have a filterless 2.5 gallon betta tank that I did daily water changes on, but now I have the opportunity to move him up to a filtered tank.

swtmudpie

swtmudpie

kallililly1973 said:
Looks nice... BBA can be a son of a gun to tame. What size tank is it? Looks like you are dosing co2...Maybe someone will come along to help you regulate the co2 and light schedule to wipe it out ...
Thanks! I do have CO2 n someone great to guide me. They let me make my mistakes to learn from though...lol!

swtmudpie

kallililly1973 said:
It is a 20 high

FeederGuppies

I used to have a 10 and a 20 that were absolutely covered in hair algae because I didn't want to take the effort to clean them out... I ended up emptying both tanks and moving the fish in them (female guppies) to bigger tanks. Later I tried to start a betta sorority in a 55 gal, but all the fish I got came diseased (I got them all from the same breeder) and died off one by one.

aoiumi

My shame tank is the tank I'm only half in charge of. We have a 30 gal tank with about 15 common goldfish and two unknown types of pleco. I so badly want to tear it all down, give all the fish away and turn it into a guppy tank, but I'd have to find someone(s) to take them. That way everyone would be happy.

potter

I've 3 shame tanks..My first shame tank is my 2.5 gallon lol.. picture above.. it's my marimo moss tank.. had them for 6 years... but getting lazy to maintain it because there are NO fish or snail or shrimp in it...the moss are growing out of shape and everywhere. I don't put them in my fish tank anymore because I feel it makes the water dirty and my bettas do not even want to go near it.

Second and third are my daphnia cultures for my bettas. One is a 2 gallon critter keeper and another is a 2 gallon fish bowl full of daphnias. Algae growing on the tank walls. The daphnia are thriving. It's an eyesore though lol.

My two 5 gallon betta tanks I'm happy with.

My 40 gallon stock tank with healthy rosy red minnows is somewhat nice to look at. The water is clean, fish are healthy.. the only issue is I'm using plastic plants but they're all green in colour so it looks natural.. so maybe half ashamed lol. It does have pothos and spider plants roots hanging in the water. It's my favourite tank as it is the lowest maintenance and the rosy reds are full of cuteness.

John58ford

Pretty much the same as OP, I don't show my betta only tanks often because they're pretty boring, and easy to take care of. Very plain because the centerpiece is the fish, but who hasn't had a betta and how unique can my little guys really be? I have shown a QT holding a betta as he will be different. I'm conditioning him for current and he will swim in a river tank one day months from now (a very very slow one but still lol). The only time I've shown him, was to show the pre-filter to someone asking a question. None of my other tanks have a filter bring used like that so it seemed appropriate.

When I first joined I was a little ashamed of my 50/50 snake/fish tank because I wasn't sure "fish people" would approve. I wanted some input on something specific and was warmly received so I stayed. Your stuck with me now. I'm also no longer ashamed of that tank but proud. I don't think that will ever be the case with our boring betta boxes though.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom