Shallow Emergent Plant Suggestions For 2.5 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Hubble Tea, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Hubble Tea

Hubble Tea Valued Member Member

Will not be an only 1 plant species tank. Most will be fully aquatic but I feel like it looks kind of incomplete without emergent plants. Anyone with experience with water clover?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

water clover can be a fun plant to keep, but it does get a bit big for a aquarium that size. What about certain aponogeton species that do send up emersed leafs and flowers?

3. OP
    OP
    Hubble Tea

The one that looks like a water lily but different? I was looking for something that would not stay at the water more or less. It does look really interesting though and I will keep it in mind for other tanks i make for sure.

4. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

You could get a large Amazon sword in its emersed form, A peace lilies, sagittaria, even Iris pseudacorus which would be really interesting, as well as lotus, which produce large round leaves in its emersed form. You can really toy with your options here just make sure you have a deep rich substrate

5. OP
    OP
    Hubble Tea

woah, all of those get pretty huge. I am getting a 2.5 gallon which is 10 liters.

6. Tyler Fishman

I know but most emergent plants will take over, have you considerd eleocharis

7. OP
    OP
    Hubble Tea

Not until now. does the Eleocharis parvula become emergent? Is there anything a bit bigger but not anything above 12 inches when fully grown?

8. Tyler Fishman

Eleocharis acicularis will grow over 5 inches underwater but only about 3-4 inches as emergent plants I think it’s the right plant for you

9. OP
    OP
    Hubble Tea

If so, with the idea i have in mind, that would be perfect, but are you sure they are emergent? I am looking for pictures but I can only find dwarf hair grass underwater. In carpet form.

If so, with the idea i have in mind, that would be perfect, but are you sure they are emergent? I am looking for pictures but I can only find dwarf hair grass underwater. In carpet form.

Oh, nevermind! I'll probably be using this. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice