Sexism In The Aquarium Hobby - Page 3

vikingkirken

2211Nighthawk said:
I think it takes a heck of a lot more dedication running a big tank (125+) vs a 20g. If you're insane enough to have a tank that size, your dedicated. Same thing if you have 20 tanks, even if they are small, or some insane aquascape. Not saying people with a single 20 gallon ain't dedicated, but a big tanks takes a lot more dedication I think. Think of the water bills if anything else. At least that's how I see it.
I have a 125g upstairs and a 55 gallon downstairs... The 125 is easier--closer to the sink!! Also, the fish in the 125 are bigger (so not as scary using the gravel vac), and it's more lightly planted (so less trimming/replanting and less worry about uprooting stuff while cleaning). The 125 requires emptying a few more buckets, but that's the only harder point. The hardest tank for me to manage is my 20g, because that tank doesn't capture my interest like the big ones. Caring for it is a chore because I find the fish in it rather uninspiring (my kids' choices, not mine).

Maintenance has a lot more to do with the type of setup than the tank size!

As for dedication, I just found that the fish I most enjoyed needed a big tank. It wasn't that I bought a bigger tank because I became more dedicated; I just figured out what I needed for the fish I wanted.

And there you go, a woman with a 125--and it takes over my living room It's living art!

2211Nighthawk

I just informed my mom that one day I'm gonna have a tank big enough for a shovelnose catfish. I think they get 2' long if not bigger. She gave me the best stink eye yet.

goldface

I never saw this hobby as gender specific. However, I do notice certain areas as being male dominated, like aquascaping. But I don't see it having anything to do with sexism, but instead a lack of interest and/or participation. That said, I don't doubt it happens, like with all things.
I do pilates, which is dominated by women. What makes it ironic is if what I been told is true: that Joseph Pilates didn't believe women were suited for it. Anyway, it was something I wanted to do for a while, but took me sometime to get the courage to start. And holy heck I was nervous when I walked in the studio for the first time. I felt like a kid again. Now thinking back it now seems silly and me being overly dramatic. Now I just walk in and get started. Doesn't bother me anymore if usually I'm the only guy there. Things would have definitely been different if I didn't feel welcomed.

jmaldo

Ok, Ladies. I have to admit, unlike some of my fellow brethren. It happened to me. Yes, Years ago (no I am not that Old) LOL Anyway, I was doing some research and needed some technical info. Corresponded back and forth, (you know that e-mail thing) with a source. Just to protect the innocent. The source's email was "cprice@ tech..." After a few lengthy and productive technical discussions, I suggested meet for some wings and beers. Long story short "cprice" was... Yeah, you guessed it, a beautiful intelligent woman. So, hats off to all the Ladies out there. The old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover." Never again , I hope. LOL
Just thought I would share.

By the way all the Ladies on Fishlore (known and unknown), A BIG THANKS AND I SALUTE YOU! For all the Help and Info you have shared during my Wet Pet journey. I would not be able to do it without you. Maybe 1 day can help as many as have helped me.

tunafax

Lol if I buy a 100g, I will stock it with goldfish. It will be bare-bottom. I will aquascape with plastic plants form the dollar store.

Would this literal bathtub make me "more dedicated" than someone with a multi-species planted 20g?

No way.
A planted 20 gallon would beat out my junk tank any day - and I'm not even saying goldfish are easy because they are very much not.

IMO the ones who are dedicated really shine when it comes to
1. knowledge they have
2. their eagerness to learn new advances in the hobby
3. how much thought they put into their tank

All 100 gallon tank says about you is that you have money to blow.

None of these things seem gender-specific to me. Hmm!

Fishkeeping shouldn't be a tank-measuring contest.

MattS99

I can't see how a bigger tank size can make one more dedicated. I've only had smaller tanks, my current 20 long is my biggest (and I've been doing this for 12 years).

Would I love to get either a bigger tank or more tanks? Definitely. But I'm 17, can't find a job, and I'm leaving state for college. Plus my family hates the hobby. It'd be so beyond impractical to get another tank. So all of my collective fishkeeping energy and dedication goes straight into that 20 long and the little guys inside of it.

Let me share a story about my experiences at an LFS a few months ago. I went inside and talked with the employees and showed them I wasn't a moron. They start showing me piranhas, pacus, oscars, all your generic 'masculine' fish. Telling me they can safely go in my 20 long, like I'm stupid. I walked out of the store with a couple guppies and a GBR. The guy was shaking his head as he netted the fish, still trying to get me to buy that oscar so I could "watch it eat feeders". I never went back. Not all males want these types of fish.

clk89

jpm995 said:
I'm probably showing my age here [68] but being in the hobby since the late '50's I have to say i've never encountered women really into the hobby personally. I know of no one with a big [125 or up]tank. I know there's many female members on here that are expert level keepers. This is not an excuse for the way you were treated, the worker was just an idiot. Hopefully you don't encounter this in other shops.
I think there are a lot of reasons for not having a larger tank, and many of them have nothing to do with experience. Things like money, space, apartment rules and so forth can put a dent in what tank size you can have. My apartment only allows a up to a certain size, it's why I haven't gone bigger then my 40 gallon breeder.

NavigatorBlack

Statistically, in both the US and Canada at least, men earn more for the same job than women do. We tend to have more disposable income, and more leisure time than women do. That has to have an effect on how much we can dedicate ourselves to leisure pursuits.
So that is a factor - statistically, men tend to have more space and more time.

So dedication may not have much to do with it. I'm like most people here, not exactly rolling in free money, and if you cut my earnings, my hobby would certainly suffer. I work two jobs and if I had to add a third, bye bye fishtanks.

I think the clown in the fish store may have been flirting, in that wondrous"HI baby, I think you're stupid - doesn't that make me attractive" way some guys seem to think makes sense. The more women he offends, the more he'll blame them, and he'll probably be a real prize to meet in about five years. Somewhere in his mind he has understood that liking fish and aquariums makes you stunningly sexy, and it clearly shut down large sections of his brain when he tried to talk to you. The brain shutdown may have happened before he met you though, and may be permanent. I would suggest a bucket of malachite green poured over his head daily so women can see him coming and shoal on out of there.

DoubleDutch

NavigatorBlack said:
Statistically, in both the US and Canada at least, men earn more for the same job than women do. We tend to have more disposable income, and more leisure time than women do. That has to have an effect on how much we can dedicate ourselves to leisure pursuits.

So dedication may not have much to do with it. I'm like most people here, not exactly rolling in free money, and if you cut my earnings, my hobby would certainly suffer. I work two jobs and if I had to add a third, bye bye fishtanks.

I think the clown in the fish store may have been flirting, in that wondrous"HI baby, I think you're stupid - doesn't that make me attractive" way some guys seem to think makes sense. The more women he offends, the more he'll blame them, and he'll probably be a real prize to meet in about five years. Somewhere in his mind he has understood that liking fish and aquariums makes you stunningly sexy, and it clearly shut down large sections of his brain when he tried to talk to you. The brain shutdown may have happened before he met you though, and may be permanent. I would suggest a bucket of malachite green poured over his head daily so women can see him coming and shoal on out of there.
Thanks to you I now know what happens now and then in / to my brain hahahaha.

I think at FL there isn't any of this.
Think the females and males with a lot of knowledge, answering, helping aso are quite equally divided aren't they?

I think that is really great. I can't think of any advise given isn't accepted or appreciated cause given by a female.

So the guy in the shop must have had a shutdown of his brain or something.

I believe overhere we have a female aquascaping-champ scarface
Giving courses !!!

Galathiel

I think the guy in the OP's story subscribes to the "Howard Wolowitz" school of thought on how to pick up women (from Big Bang Theory). He had a theory that negs work. “A neg is a negative compliment that throws a pretty woman off her game." His smooth lines included things like, "I'm not usually attracted to greasy hair, but you make it look good (used on Penny), and random pick ups like "normally I’m turned off by big teeth but on you they work."

vikingkirken

NavigatorBlack said:

That last paragraph gave me a laugh!

tommywantfishy

Lchi87 said:
Last weekend, I visited a LFS I normally don't go to and while the establishment itself was amazing and clean/well-kept, the interaction with one of the staff members left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I was really excited to be going as I had heard great things about the place so my SO and I made the trip on Saturday. I spent a lot of time walking up and down the aisles, geeking out in particular over their selection of tanganyikan cichlids and plants and was trying to make eye contact with a nearby staff member hoping for some assistance. Eventually he came over and I expressed my love for cichlids and gushed over their plant selection and started asking questions about care requirements for x plant etc etc. First thing he said to me was "Hmph, you normally don't see girls in here talking about fish, its the opposite usually. "

Okay......

He then directs me toward a set of tanks with glofish skirts and brightly colored guppies and said something like " all the girls love these kind of fish, so colorful and easy to care for!" And then went to go talk fish with my SO, who was walking around on his own, probably overwhelmed lol.

Anyway, my SO turned down this guy's attempt at a conversation because "Sir, it's really her you should talk to, this is her thing. "

So he comes back over to me and I'm hanging out by the plants again and he jokingly pulls out an anubias nana petite and suggests that I stick it behind my ear "like a pretty flower." Ugh.

At that point, I was getting a bit fed up with all the girly references so I asked him to bag up my plant and I checked out and left.

Anyway, it wasn't the worst experience but I was a little sad that I wasn't taken more seriously and was being pushed to look at certain fish because "that's what girls like". I have nothing against skirt tetras and guppies but I am cichlid lover through and through.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to look like I take this hobby seriously but honestly, I shouldn't have to because it's not their place to judge me.
What a jerk. I am so tired of PC.....but your experience was unacceptable. It borders on sexual harassment in my opinion. 36 year old guy here. Sorry that happened. Might of been hitting on you. Either way.....unacceptable.

Mushishi

Lchi87 said:
Last weekend, I visited a LFS I normally don't go to and while the establishment itself was amazing and clean/well-kept, the interaction with one of the staff members left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I was really excited to be going as I had heard great things about the place so my SO and I made the trip on Saturday. I spent a lot of time walking up and down the aisles, geeking out in particular over their selection of tanganyikan cichlids and plants and was trying to make eye contact with a nearby staff member hoping for some assistance. Eventually he came over and I expressed my love for cichlids and gushed over their plant selection and started asking questions about care requirements for x plant etc etc. First thing he said to me was "Hmph, you normally don't see girls in here talking about fish, its the opposite usually. "

Okay......

He then directs me toward a set of tanks with glofish skirts and brightly colored guppies and said something like " all the girls love these kind of fish, so colorful and easy to care for!" And then went to go talk fish with my SO, who was walking around on his own, probably overwhelmed lol.

Anyway, my SO turned down this guy's attempt at a conversation because "Sir, it's really her you should talk to, this is her thing. "

So he comes back over to me and I'm hanging out by the plants again and he jokingly pulls out an anubias nana petite and suggests that I stick it behind my ear "like a pretty flower." Ugh.

At that point, I was getting a bit fed up with all the girly references so I asked him to bag up my plant and I checked out and left.

Anyway, it wasn't the worst experience but I was a little sad that I wasn't taken more seriously and was being pushed to look at certain fish because "that's what girls like". I have nothing against skirt tetras and guppies but I am cichlid lover through and through.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to look like I take this hobby seriously but honestly, I shouldn't have to because it's not their place to judge me.
Can I please share this on my social media? I will not reference names or anything else, this is just a clear cut example of sexism that goes on everyday and often gets exultantly ignored because it isn't "full blown harassment". Well guess what, it is still sexist and unacceptable and I have many who would love to relate to this and it would make for a great discussion.

tommywantfishy

Mushishi said:
Can I please share this on my social media? I will not reference names or anything else, this is just a clear cut example of sexism that goes on everyday and often gets exultantly ignored because it isn't "full blown harassment". Well guess what, it is still sexist and unacceptable and I have many who would love to relate to this and it would make for a great discussion.
Fine with me.

BluMan1914

FlutterFish said:
but I really wouldn't trust her with an aquarium. Girls her age aren't really responsible."
Your Dad should have told the salesman that you probably know more than he does.

FlutterFish

BluMan1914 said:
Your Dad should have told the salesman that you probably know more than he does.
Honestly, it wasn't that kind of situation that you're thinking of. English isn't my first language (Korean is), and also, the employee just left to tend to another customer before anyone could really reply. Both of us were just really confused about the whole ordeal for a while.

He was pretty angry about it, though. He also told me he didn't want 'pink stones' in my Fluval Spec.

BluMan1914

DoubleDutch said:
Giving courses !!
I'd have to add Lchi87 to that list as well.

goldface

DoubleDutch said:
Thanks to you I now know what happens now and then in / to my brain hahahaha.

I think at FL there isn't any of this.
Think the females and males with a lot of knowledge, answering, helping aso are quite equally divided aren't they?

I think that is really great. I can't think of any advise given isn't accepted or appreciated cause given by a female.

So the guy in the shop must have had a shutdown of his brain or something.

Giving courses !!!
Oh yeah. I can name a few. I was thinking more along the lines of well known people like TakashI Amano and George Farmer, or those who do it professionally. And even on youtube I can't think of any, until very recently (Mak).

Lchi87

Mushishi said:
By all means share!

BobNJerry

Jocelyn Adelman said:
MattS99 check out absolutely fish in Clifton... completely age and sex judgement free!
That's funny you mention absolute fish because I don't like going there because I find they treat me like I'm dumb and don't know what I'm taking about.

I'm not a 15 yr old kid. I'm a woman in my 40s. Lol

I won't go back there.

Piaelliott

scarface said:
Oh yeah. I can name a few. I was thinking more along the lines of well known people like TakashI Amano and George Farmer, or those who do it professionally. And even on youtube I can't think of any, until very recently (Mak).
Isn't this the case everywhere? For example, who does usually all the cooking but who are the most famous chefs?

goldface

Piaelliott said:
Isn't this the case everywhere? For example, who does usually all the cooking but who are the most famous chefs?
In general, I've noticed in the restaurant business, the cooks tend to be males and the waiters female. I used to work at a diner and we only had one female cook. When interviewed for the job, I was even asked what position I was looking at. I told em I wanted to cook, so it's not like I wasn't given the option. Going out to eat, it's pretty much the same everywhere. I took a course in philosophy. Many times, society dictates the choices we make.

Prism

Not ever, I'm not known for anything either.
Except sometimes I'm told by my brothers I do aquascaping. (which isn't a problem haha)

I've never experienced anything like this.

DCJ

2211Nighthawk said:
I think it takes a heck of a lot more dedication running a big tank (125+) vs a 20g. If you're insane enough to have a tank that size, your dedicated. Same thing if you have 20 tanks, even if they are small, or some insane aquascape. Not saying people with a single 20 gallon ain't dedicated, but a big tanks takes a lot more dedication I think. Think of the water bills if anything else. At least that's how I see it.
I think any connection between size and achievement in the hobby is arbitrary.

The fact that you made that connection though possibly says more about you than it does about aquatics?

2211Nighthawk

DCJ said:
I think any connection between size and achievement in the hobby is arbitrary.

The fact that you made that connection though possibly says more about you than it does about aquatics?
Seesh... forget I said anything. Apparently I ticked off the whole forum for opening my mouth.

DCJ

2211Nighthawk said:
Seesh... forget I said anything. Apparently I ticked off the whole forum for opening my mouth.
It was said tongue in cheek.

Daniel Nebushkow

Sounds like a jerk but honestly... What the heck... Once I went to the pet store to pick up some fish and the dude mostly talked to my mom about birds. Does that mean the guy was being "sexist". (I'm a dude btw). Also just because some guy in your case was mean to you doesn't mean there is sexism in the hobby. Like honestly. The one place I thought feminists couldn't get to.

Daniel Nebushkow

REALLY!!!??? "Man splaining". You guys are being ridiculous! If you want to geek out over the Aquarium hobby don't you want the other person, male or female, to also share their experiences? That would mean that if you talked to a dude about your experiences you would be "woman-splaining.". Take things how they are.

goldface

Daniel NebushkowI'm confused. Is this a general statement or did you mean to quote someone?

david1978

Hmmm guess I will never be dedicated to fish keeping. I don't plan on going any bigger than my 75 gallon tank.

DCJ

Daniel Nebushkow said:
REALLY!!!??? "Man splaining". You guys are being ridiculous! If you want to geek out over the Aquarium hobby don't you want the other person, male or female, to also share their experiences? That would mean that if you talked to a dude about your experiences you would be "woman-splaining.". Take things how they are.
Mansplaining isn't a man sharing experiences. It's a term coined specifically for the instance where someone is patronising or condescending when explaining or giving advice, usually unsolicited and usually to someone with that knowledge or in that field. This is unproportionately done by men to women, especially in STEM fields, thus 'mansplaining'.

I'm sorry to confirm the field of aquatics is not free of attempts to keep it gender equal. If you're looking for a fish site that's free of feminism, sorry, this site isn't a safe space for you.

JamieXPXP

although I do agree larger tanks do require a lot more dedication since it takes a lot to clean them and to run lol

Daniel Nebushkow

DCJ said:
Mansplaining isn't a man sharing experiences. It's a term coined specifically for the instance where someone is patronising or condescending when explaining or giving advice, usually unsolicited and usually to someone with that knowledge or in that field. This is unproportionately done by men to women, especially in STEM fields, this 'mansplaining'.

I'm sorry to confirm the field of aquatics is not free of attempts to keep it gender equal. If you're looking for a fish site that's free of feminism, sorry, this site isn't a safe space for you.
Yes for example, one of the stories on here was talking about how this person gets bitten by a fish, and then the employee of the pet store tells her of himself getting bitten by a 6 foot snake. The poster says the guy had a big ego. But no. It's not a big ego it's just telling of one's own experiences. It's like one of those things people do, what was it again, oh yeah I remember it's called a conversation. Some may call it human interaction.

Aureus

Isn't anyone who gives patronizing and unsolicited advice just being a jerk? Why does this have to be gender specific? It's quite unnecessary.

Daniel Nebushkow

scarface said:
Daniel NebushkowI'm confused. Is this a general statement or did you mean to quote someone?
I meant to quote someone

JamieXPXP

Aureus said:
Isn't anyone who gives patronizing and unsolicited advice just being a jerk? Why does this have to be gender specific? It's quite unnecessary.
its because sometimes it is about gender although it isn't always the case

Daniel Nebushkow

DCJ said:
Mansplaining isn't a man sharing experiences. It's a term coined specifically for the instance where someone is patronising or condescending when explaining or giving advice, usually unsolicited and usually to someone with that knowledge or in that field. This is unproportionately done by men to women, especially in STEM fields, thus 'mansplaining'.

Also why are you man/woman splaining to me about man-splaining

DCJ

Daniel NebushkowI wasn't talking specifics, I was just clarifying the term. Mansplaining is a thing that happens and it does happen in this hobby and you know if you're doing it when you're talking to someone and their eyes glaze over. He wasn't so much taking part in a conversation as one upping her, which is the same kind of mindset as some fishkeepers who keep arowanas because they can com to forums like these and say they keep arowanas: it's just bragging and it's just as annoying as having to feign interest in GloFish when you just want to get your cichlids and go home.

Your comment on finding a place 'the feminists couldn't get to' is in the same vein.

DCJ

Daniel Nebushkow said:
Also why are you man/woman splaining to me about man-splaining
It wasn't mansplaining - it was explaining because your use of the word showed that you didn't know what mansplaining was.

Natalya

DCJ said:
Daniel NebushkowI wasn't talking specifics, I was just clarifying the term. Mansplaining is a thing that happens and it does happen in this hobby and you know if you're doing it when you're talking to someone and their eyes glaze over. He wasn't so much taking part in a conversation as one upping her, which is the same kind of mindset as some fishkeepers who keep arowanas because they can com to forums like these and say they keep arowanas: it's just bragging and it's just as annoying as having to feign interest in GloFish when you just want to get your cichlids and go home.

Your comment on finding a place 'the feminists couldn't get to' is in the same vein.
I guess I am also guilty of man-splaining though I am a woman

Daniel Nebushkow

DCJ said:

Man-splaining is just an excuse for women to feel victimized

Aureus

I don't disagree that it is never about gender, just that "mansplaining" is an unnecessary word. Men can be jerks to women, just like how women can be jerks to men. If "mansplaining" is a term, wouldn't "womansplaining" also be valid? Can people not stick to the word "jerk" and other, harsher variants of the word?

DCJ

The term is gender specific because of the disproportionate instances of the behaviour from men against women in STEM fields, which is where the term was originally coined, or so I've been told. That's where the word comes from, the use of it now and whether or not men or women can be jerks to each other is another point. I was being literary. All people are jerks.

Culprit

Having a larger tank does not necessarily require more dedication! I can tell you, if you have a 75 gallon fish tank with weekly 25% water changes, compared to a 20 gallon high tech planted tank, then 20 gallon is going to be far more work!

Daniel Nebushkow

DCJ said:
It wasn't mansplaining - it was explaining because your use of the word showed that you didn't know what mansplaining was.
I don't know. You were pretty condescending thinking I didn't already know what it means.

DCJ

Daniel Nebushkow said:
I don't know. You were pretty condescending thinking I didn't already know what it means.
I didn't 'think' that you didn't know what it meant, you showed that you didn't know what it meant when you spoke about it as 'people speaking about their experiences' which is not what it means. In the most impassionate way possible, it was obvious. I just clarified.

Daniel Nebushkow

DCJ said:
The term is gender specific because of the disproportionate instances of the behaviour from men against women in STEM fields, which is where the term was originally coined, or so I've been told. That's where the word comes from, the use of it now and whether or not men or women can be jerks to each other is another point. I was being literary. All people are jerks.
Isn't it pretty sexist how men are viewed more as jerks than women?

SegiDream

Size of the tank doesn't matter. It's how you utilize it that matters...

Daniel Nebushkow

DCJ said:
I didn't 'think' that you didn't know what it meant, you showed that you didn't know what it meant when you spoke about it as 'people speaking about their experiences' which is not what it means. In the most impassionate way possible, it was obvious. I just clarified.
You took my comment out of context. I was just saying that women sometimes think men are man-splaining but they're not. They might sometimes want to spark good ol' conversation

Aureus

Lol, I do agree that people are jerks, but, like I have said before, the word is just ridiculous. While it does suck that some women are not treated as fairly in certain career fields, I just don't see the word as being necessary. To me, and to a lot of other people, it just seems like something to bring on a victI'm narrative and to gain "oppression points."

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom