Sexing

vonnievon

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've got three angel fish that I need sexing tryed to get good pictures hopefully you guys will be able to help.imageimageimage

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Angelfish are notoriously hard to sex. The only sure way is to wait until breeding and look at their sex organ. However, there are physical traits that can be suggestive of sex. I'd say the top is female (no bump on head, large angle slope to dorsal fin) and the bottom two are males (bumpy heads, right angle between dorsal fin and body).

vonnievon

Reaction score
Had a feeling those were males as they keep pecking at each other trying to find the dominant one .do I take one male out and hope the female goes with the other angel fish,I have got two more a big black one and another yellow but the small yellow is to small I think to sex

vonnievon

Reaction score
Yeah at the moment I'm trying to sell the black one but don't no the name of it and the other yellow one is tiny compared to the rest so thinking he could go instead of the black one as he keeps getting picked on,hence the jug in the water he hides in there

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd be more inclined to get rid of the one being picked on if he's the only one being bullied.

vonnievon

Reaction score
Think I'll do that as the black one takes care of his self and the three yellows are the same size it's only the two males the argue would you be able to tell me the sex of the black on for me

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I could give you a guess, but again, nothing is for sure unless you see the sex organs.

I'd be inclined to say female. But see above!

vonnievon

Reaction score
A guess is good with me least I'll know roughly,also would the black one breed with a yellow one

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If they're the same species, they should breed! Different colors don't mean different species. Most angelfish are Pterophyllum scalare, so they should be able to breed.

vonnievon

Reaction score
Oh that's good hopefully I will get a pair soon sit and wait now.thanks for all your help much appreciated

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No problem! I'm going through a similar situation. Just got four, waiting to see who pairs!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom