Sexing Young Pearl Gouramis

1. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Any tips on how to differentiate between males and females when they're young? I went to 4 fish stores today and the only two that had Pearls had young ones and the employees were unsure. I tried looking at the fins but was unsure.

2. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Here's an example of one young one. Looks like a female to me but I don't know when the male find start to elongate.

Attached Files:

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It would be difficult to sex pearls when they are juveniles. You'll want to wait until they mature to identify the gender. When I first got my male pearl as a juvie, even some of the FL members here had a hard time sexing. The consensus was that it was a female because of the short dorsal fin but as it matured (and after introducing a real female), it completely changed - developing the orange bottom and extended dorsal and anal fins. The female will have bulging sides to signify that it's holding eggs.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with el337, it's not really possible to sex them when young. When they grow it will be apparent.

5. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Okay, thanks. The one place said they usually get larger ones in, so I'll keep checking in to see if that happens.

6. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

At what age do the fins start to differ? I found some larger ones. One had a female looking dorsal fin while 2 had slightly longer fins... But none had the red. Sorry for the poor pic.

Attached Files:

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure the color only changes/deepens when they are ready to breed, the fin shape/length is the constant.

8. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Okay, that helps. Thanks!

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No problem!

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. My male really only colored up when I introduced a female to the tank.

11. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

So if I get a male only it may never get the red breast? I guess that makes the hunt for a male less important. :)

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure. I didn't keep him alone for long. Lol. He was always so shy and would hide so I thought giving him a girlfriend would bring him out of his shell... and it did!