Sexing Sterbai Corydoras?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 7 Sterbai Corydoras, on average about 0.5” right now. Curious if they’re males or females? The only info I’ve read explains how to sex them on body shape and they all look the same to me! Does anybody have any other tips or suggestions on how I can sex them?

Thanks!

xx

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe they are all juveniles?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, yes, they are. I was just wondering if it was possible to sex them at this stage or not!

The Rover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think it's hard to tell when they're really young, but as they grow you will definitely see the difference. The females get that plump shape. To me, it almost looks like the area around their head and just behind starts to expand. I have albinos and I couldn't tell the difference at first but after a few weeks the female's start to take on that rounder shape. With the ones, I've had the females are also larger than the males. I don't know if that's common or not, but that's what I've seen with mine.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, awesome! Thanks both of you! They're really small right now, and SO hard to get a look at them from above for longer than a few seconds, but once they grow a bit I'll try to see if I can figure it out!

The Rover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
madelyn anne said:
Okay, awesome! Thanks both of you! They're really small right now, and SO hard to get a look at them from above for longer than a few seconds, but once they grow a bit I'll try to see if I can figure it out!
You will be able to tell in time...It won't be that hard, trust me. If you have both males and females it will become pretty apparent which is which.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Rover said:
You will be able to tell in time...It won't be that hard, trust me. If you have both males and females it will become pretty apparent which is which.
Thank you I just seem to SUCK at identifying male or females in fish. Like. I can't tell to save my life. I have a pair of GBR's and I'm still not 100% sure who's who, and I have no bloody clue what gender my White Skirt Tetras are, hah!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom