Sexing Rams

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by BrynneAleks, Feb 21, 2019.

1. BrynneAleks

BrynneAleksValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    I special ordered Electric Blue Ram Cichlids at my pet store and they came in! I tried getting a pair in, but the vendor couldn't promise it. I took a picture of them. At first I thought they looked like two males but now I can't tell, lol. I also have a photo of some German Blue Cichlid Rams that are also at the store. They're ultimately the same species, correct? If so, can you tell what sex the German rams are too? I think there's a female there. Please & thank you! :x (Disclaimer: Not my tank in photos - I'll have proper hidey spots for them at home). Snapchat-1006986184.Snapchat-2010944717.

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
  3. OP
    OP
    BrynneAleks

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Not yet, I have to do another water test before I bring them home.

4. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Gotcha, can you get some pics after that then? Might take a few days for them to color back up too

5. OP
    OP
    BrynneAleks

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    I def could. The electric blues are definitely pale (they just got in today). The German blues have been already in the store for weeks so that's as colorful as they'll get til they get bought. I'm definitely getting the electrics as soon as I can, but will get the germans when I can get them sexed to make sure I don't get a bunch of the same genders basically.

6. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    The two people I tagged should be able to help sex both of them

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Regular blue Ram is a female, the other to the left is also, but the electric blues are stressed and young, not even comfortable guessing on those. The stores definitely not keeping them in optimal conditions cuz those blue Rams are super stressed. It’s probably way too cold and they have no cover.

8. OP
    OP
    BrynneAleks

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Trust me, I plan on redoing the tanks they're in to have more cover :( waiting for more plants to arrive. But thank you! I honestly figured those two German rams were female, so that makes me more confident in telling in the future. Thank you. I'll post more photos when I can. And I totally understand not even wanting to guess on the electric ones. They are young and super stressed (don't blame them though, they were just in a blue bag in a foam box at noon and now they're currently sharing a tank with spotted catfish. Btw, if they shouldn't be in a tank like that, please let me know so I can get that info out to my management team there. As for water temp, I never measured it but you're most likely right.

9. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Just a side note here, I can't stand how lfs's always preach about proper acclimation, yet they'll probably not heat a single one of their tanks, thus rams in water that's probably ~70 max
    Once you bring them home, they should be colored up in about a week depending on when they start eating and such

10. OP
    OP
    BrynneAleks

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Funny enough, I am a manager there... Hehe. I only recently really got into aquariums so I'm catching up on all the amazing information there is out there. As for the heating system there, the water isn't frigid but it's definitely not set to 80F. My tank is is at 80 now, but I'm still trying to get my ammonia and nitrites down. :(

11. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hmmm, I'd give a few suggestions, but I can't PM you yet and I'd rather not hijack this thread

12. OP
    OP
    BrynneAleks

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Very, much appreciated. How do you PM someone on this site? Is it on my side of the account that can't permit it?

13. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    The system is setup to prevent spam or something, so you have to have 50 messages until it's available

14. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Just popping in, doing something right now but I’ve created a guide that should be pinned to the top of Ram section of the forum, if you can’t find it @nikm128 can probably link it. Be back later!

15. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
  16. OP
    OP
    BrynneAleks

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    @AquaticJ and @nikm128 I have more pictures of my rams in my tank, wondering if you could tell now that they're a little older?
    One of them is a little camera shy and the other is more about it, but my phone is not as great as I thought so I apoligize if these are rated "meh" pictures. Also, one has black markings; is that a normal feature or is she stressed? (I'm taking a gander it's female).
    20190316_113839.20190316_113926.20190316_113749.20190316_112849.

17. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    My best guess from the first pic, left ram is male, right ram is female. She does look a little pale though

18. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    I’d say both females. How do they interact?

Sorry, also, the black line is a stress indicator. That’s why I’m saying two females, the one without the black is probably dominant.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  19. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They colored up nicely!! I’m with nikm first pic male lower left. Longer analfin. Female on the right. Good luck with them there nice looking fish :).

20. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Not so fast, look at them reversed in the last picture! Now whose is longer?