Sexing Platys

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't really tell for sure in these photos, especially since males can clamp their gonopodiums along their bodies. Maybe an expert can tell.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They both appear to be female to me judging by the analfin being more "fan" shape rather than a "pointed" shape.
:

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These two are still fan shaped when it comes to their analfin (which gives the impression that they are female). But a close up of the blue mickey mouse platy from the side against a darker background will show more instead of the white background with translucent fins. The other platy has got more white on the first finrays of the analfin. From this distance it hard to see whether these first finrays are actually white or if they are thickened. If they're tickened, it may suggest that this analfin may transform into a gonopodium.
Initial male specimens of the Xiphophorus genus "can" show the male characteristics pretty late.

So, from my side I won't say whether they're actual female or male at this point eventhough the first impression was female. But again, pay attention to what I've wrote above.

New Threads