Sexing Platies...help!

Chantal38

I have 3 platies who i believed were all female...2 months ago i found 3 fry in my tank...thinking these came from a female i purchased about a month before this from a mixed tank i assumed she was pregnant when i got her...then this morning i woke up to 4 more fry! So im assuming one of the females is male...could anyone help me with this as they all look female to me...the orange one is a female i kept from a batch of previous fry...the purply coloured one is the female i bought from the mixed tank that could have been pregnant when i got her...she is the only one that has looked pregnant over the last week or so...and the salt and pepper platy i purchased over a month ago from a mixed tank also but she showed no signs of pregnancy at all...she is pretty see-through so i would have expected to see a rounded tummy or at least maybe have seen the fry....i have attached some photos...

Bluelagoon92

Chantal38 said:
I have 3 platies who i believed were all female...2 months ago i found 3 fry in my tank...thinking these came from a female i purchased about a month before this from a mixed tank i assumed she was pregnant when i got her...then this morning i woke up to 4 more fry! So im assuming one of the females is male...could anyone help me with this as they all look female to me...the orange one is a female i kept from a batch of previous fry...the purply coloured one is the female i bought from the mixed tank that could have been pregnant when i got her...she is the only one that has looked pregnant over the last week or so...and the salt and pepper platy i purchased over a month ago from a mixed tank also but she showed no signs of pregnancy at all...she is pretty see-through so i would have expected to see a rounded tummy or at least maybe have seen the fry....i have attached some photos...
Nope all the platies in your photos are females ....but a female live bearer can store a males milt for some time and self impregnate....hope this helps ...
Here is a picture of a male notice the different shape analfin...

Chantal38 said:

emeraldking

All female platies. One or more must have used a stored sperm packet in order to get pregnant.

Chantal38

Thank you...i had thought they were all females but didnt realise they could store the sperm for so long!
With the fry that have been born today would it be ok to put them with the 2 month old fry or should i keep them separate? I currently have the 2 month old fry in a breeder box in the main tank.

Sorry i should have also said i am currently treating the main tank with an anti fluke & wormer so would this harm the day old fry if i put them in the breeder box in the main tank?

emeraldking

Putting newborns with 2 months olds shouldn't be a problem. But maybe wait a bit because of the treatment you're doing right now.

Donovan Jones

If the orange one is as small as it looks I'd keep an eye on its analfin just in case. I've had several late bloomer males. Itll kinda roll up of that makes sense if it is male

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom