Sexing Pearl Gouramis

ChrissFishes01

I got three young-ish pearl gouramis last week and am having trouble sexing them in QT. There are two that hang out together constantly, and then a third that gets picked on by one of the other two. I'm thinking that maybe the two that aren't getting along are both males, and the third is a female, but I'm not sure.

The two that are hanging out together:

Gourami Pair.JPG

And the one that I think may be a male that's getting bullied:

Beta Gourami.JPG

Now, if it turns out to be 2 males and 1 female, can I remove the dominant male and still have the subdominant male pair with the female? The subdominant male has much, much more color than the dominant male, although you can't see it much in the pics.

awilkinson871

Having trouble looking at the pictures but the dorsal fin on males comes to a point and females are rounded. They may need to be a bit larger to tell but it becomes obvious fairly early.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Having trouble looking at the pictures but the dorsal fin on males comes to a point and females are rounded. They may need to be a bit larger to tell but it becomes obvious fairly early.
Unfortunately they all look rounded to me, and so do the analfins. They're a bit over 2", so are they still not old enough to sex? Or do I have three females that aren't getting along?

Are the pics not loading, or are they not clear?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Unfortunately they all look rounded to me, and so do the analfins. They're a bit over 2", so are they still not old enough to sex? Or do I have three females that aren't getting along?

Are the pics not loading, or are they not clear?
I just cant see the dorsal fins against the background. The picture with 2 fish- the top looks female. IME they really need to be 2.5-3 inches before it becomes really obvious for most gouramis. You will also notice on males the dorsal fin becomes much longer than the female.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Maybe they're just a little young, then.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

My best guess is that the two in the picture together are female and the other one is male, or they're still too young to tell. jinjerJOSH22, what do you think?

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

My best guess is that the two in the picture together are female and the other one is male, or they're still too young to tell. jinjerJOSH22, what do you think?
Probably still too young to tell exactly and photo's can be quite misleading at times. If the bottom one has orange developing underneath the mouth then it would be a male.
A sign to look for is development of tassels on the analfin, this is a clear sign of a male as well as a long more ragged dorsal fin.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Gotcha! Two of them (the bully and the bully-ee) have a slight red/orange tinge around their gills. I don't see anything around the analfin, but it's hard to see the one that's getting bullied. I don't see any damage to the one that's getting bullied, so I'll watch and remove it if necessary - I think it may be two males.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
Motherlovebetta