1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Sexing Pearl Gouramis Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jckbv, Jun 23, 2019.

1. JckbvNew MemberMember

Help, I just got a harem of pearl gouramis for my 65 gallon which just burst and so I had to put them in my 20 gallon instead. As soon as I got home it burst. I tried my best to get 2 females and Male but o think I made a mistake. One gourami witha long round fin is chasing the others.

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Could you post some pictures?

3. JckbvNew MemberMember

Sure, all 3 are different fish. First one is the aggressor.
    The next two are fine but are bullied. 15613269086715693900186258016093.jpg in the meantime would it be okay to keep the aggressor in a little container inside the tank until I can return them tomorrow or tuesday? 15613271120534924373290772641213.jpg

Attached Files:

4. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I'm just seeing males in there.

5. JckbvNew MemberMember

Oops the fullscreen images are the same, the smaller ones are of the bullied fish, the last pic is of what I want to keep the bully in overnight until I can exchange him if it is a him for a female.

Yeah the bottom pics are different

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2019
  6. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

The red throats are the colouration of a male. I'm seeing three males. I'd be concerned that if you took the aggressor out the other two could start to fight too (though I have no experience with keeping males together). Do you have another place to put another male?

7. JckbvNew MemberMember

No my 65 gallon that waseant for the burst as I got them, the orange throat is a female because of the fin, it just has coloration it is also the smallest. I got the new fish thinking it was female, I cannot return the other ones. The new one may be a Male. But I have one confirmed female and male.

8. coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Thinking last two pictures are male female .
    It is not uncommon for males to push females around a little and chase ..

9. JckbvNew MemberMember

Do I have 2 males?

10. coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Just take back the one in middle by itself ..
    Likely a male .
    Pearls don't need or like harems ..
    Gouramis are not the meanest fish by far but most do not like each other ..
    Pearls are peaceful but conspecific ...You only want 2 , 1 male and 1 female .
    The two in last two pics seem to be together and look M/F to me .

11. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

The orange/red colouration is used by the males to attract females. My female doesn't have it at all. The one with less red seems to have fin extensions. My male did have more feminine looking fins when he was smaller too. Fin-wise and colouration-wise I would say all males. Here's my male a day before getting my female. Then the second pic is him after two or three weeks.
    20190510_195413.jpgScreenshot_20190617-210110.png

12. JckbvNew MemberMember

I can only return the top one, what should I do? And of I do return it Iwould have to replace it with another female.

13. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

They’re all males. Females can get a bit of orange on the analfin but not on the head.
    The bullied one is more developed so is seen as a rival by the bully. If you remove the bullied one, the third one will get bullied.
    If you want a pair, take out any two, and add a female. I would keep the bullied one or the third, which would give new female/s a bit of time to settle.

14. JckbvNew MemberMember

Aw man, so they're all males. So I can return one and get a female. I'll return the bully for now, but then what? Ill have one developed Male, a female and one undeveloped Male

15. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Would your LFS really not allow you to return the other? My LFS let me give them in a huge synodontis I got with a tank - not from them. They didn't pay me but I couldn't have kept it. Could you ring them and ask if they would take two of them? Even exchange them for the female/s? When keeping multiple males people say the male:female ratio should be 1:2/3 - though I only have experience with a pair. Could your stock take another 4/6 females?

16. JckbvNew MemberMember

It's a 20 gallon tank with an aqua clear for 25 gallon tanks and a top fin power filter 20, it has 9 neons 6 Silvertips and the 3 Pearl's, I can exchange one pearl right now for a female, which one do I change? The aggressive one, tje developed Male or the tiny undeveloped "male"? For some reason the aggression has completely dialed down. The old one is just interrogating the small on and feeling the other large new one.

17. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Oh wow... well I guess I shouldn't skim read these. I read 65 gallons and called it a day. Also I forgot to say, welcome to Fishlore!

The problem here is, if you replace one with a female the remaining two males will have a reason to fight, other than just trying to dominate. They will be competing over the female. That would lead to the same situation, one male bullying the other. Not a great situation to be in. I'll see if the others have an alternate solution, I'd just say its best to try to give back two. Also for when you look for a female, look for one without analfin extensions and a smaller dorsal fin, without a red breast.

18. JckbvNew MemberMember

The other female as the store is TINY I chose not to get that one in case she was too weak for the male.

What should I do now? I might not be able to return them tomorrow unless I ask my mom, who may return the wrong one. So can I leave them for 2 days? Or separate the aggresive one into a little breederbox? Which one do I return or leave or take?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  19. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

I can’t understand why a shop would take one but not two...
    Taking one out won’t stop the aggression. Adding a female will only increase the aggression. It’s a small tank for Pearls, only room for one male or one female or one pair. That’s all that’ll work (imo).

20. JckbvNew MemberMember

Oh take as in I'm pretty sure they dont have refunds. And theres only one pearl left which is female. I'd have to wait for Wednesday to get more. If they do take returns I'll try to return one, but which one, so I'll take the small Male back for refund and exchange the agressive one for a female, but I heard it's better to keep Pearl's in harems instead of pairs. So do I refund one now and exchange for a female and then buy another female later on to get a harem. And how long will thus setup work? It may be a bit before I can setup another tank.