Sexing My Mystery Snails

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have to mystery snails that have been mating, so I'm trying to make sure that one's male in one's female. I know for a fact one is a male but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if the other is actually a female.
So I got her to open up in my hand and on the right side of her body or the left side facing her ,opposite of the siphon, there's a hole and then empty space and on the other side is a siphon, but right behind it is a small almost like triangle I would call it a spike is that a male part? Also her shell is not curved at the edge but I've also read that's not a guarantee way to sex mystery snails. Any advice?

Edit to add: the definate male has been mating with the other for days, but because she's so much larger, she kinda man handles him, but i have seen him stay latched for a half hour while I was watching, who knows what goes down when lights get turned off. Lol

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can apparently plip tham over and then when they open up to turn the right side up, you can see if there is a **** sheath or not. Or pay attention to the differences between them when they mate. Are you trying to seperate them?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I want eggs, and the male is always on his or her right side and always on top. I did do that trick and on the opposite side the siphon is the whole and then nothing, but the side with the siphon has behind it a small triangle or spike like appendage, it's on it's left side though

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want eggs, it's best to get a group of them. But if the snail is trying to mate, you're going to get eggs. Just be prepared to have them all the freaking time (**** buggers). You'll have about 80 or so per batch. If they are mating now, then a pair is already there.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What if the one in question is also male,,, how can I be sure lol

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ms rose said:
What if the one in question is also male,,, how can I be sure lol
They just won't breed if there are two males. It just won't happen. You'll see eggs soon, just make sure you have a waterline to lay the eggs on, as they will drown in water. They can hold male sperm for about a month or so. There is a little bit of (pretty bad, except for one) information here

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom