Sexing my German Blue Rams

Gorm6969
I have my two rams. I'm sure my smaller one is a female with the pink belly but not sure of the other. The bigger keeps chasing the female and nipping at her. She seems stressed. The pic of the female is not good right now but she will get darker and belly more pink. Other times they hang out.. can someone help me.

Attachments

• 20220616_184443.jpg
    20220616_184443.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220616_184545.jpg
    20220616_184545.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 32
bvader229
Hey, it actually looks to me like you have two females. To sex a German blue, look at the black spot. If it has blue on the spot, that is a female, while males will have no blue in the spot. Also, females will have black edges in the front of the pelvic fins. Attached is an example of a female with distinguishing marks.

Attachments

• F11CA945-B218-49E5-9A89-5BEE0FBCC37B.jpeg
    F11CA945-B218-49E5-9A89-5BEE0FBCC37B.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 16
Gorm6969
Hey, it actually looks to me like you have two females. To sex a German blue, look at the black spot. If it has blue on the spot, that is a female, while males will have no blue in the spot. Also, females will have black edges in the front of the pelvic fins. Attached is an example of a female with distinguishing marks.
Maybe that is why the larger is chasing the smaller. I had a male before with the smaller but he died of bloat. I got this one but it was too young to tell at the time.

bvader229
Yeah, in my experience with them, in smaller groups, the larger females will try to establish a pecking order. Any chance you can provide another picture of the supposed male? The rays on the dorsal fin look a little short to me.

StarGirl
I think the yellow is a male the pink is a female.

Gorm6969
Yeah, in my experience with them, in smaller groups, the larger females will try to establish a pecking order. Any chance you can provide another picture of the supposed male? The rays on the dorsal fin look a little short to me.
I will tomorrow. They are shut down for the night. I will get closer and clearer pics...

chromedome52
The larger one looks clearly male to me. Get coralbandit in here to verify, but I see all the characteristics of a male. BTW, spangles in the black spot are not a dependable way to sex Rams. Once it was pointed out to me, I found analfin length to be a very useful indicator. And there are dorsal spikes on the first fish, they are a little difficult to see with that background.

Males tend to vacillate between trying to entice a female and chasing her away if she's not ready. They can be quite violent in either situation.

coralbandit
Just about everything says male for the first pictured .
Not a fish with all tells clear as day, but male IMO also .
Female looks ready to spawn.
As long as you see no major damage on the female let them do their thing .
Not all pairs get along all the time ..

Gorm6969
Thank you. The chasing her around all the time just worried me..

StarGirl
Thank you. The chasing her around all the time just worried me..
Nope just being rams. :)

Gorm6969
Just about everything says male for the first pictured .
Not a fish with all tells clear as day, but male IMO also .
Female looks ready to spawn.
As long as you see no major damage on the female let them do their thing .
Not all pairs get along all the time ..
Here is today's pics. I got closer for you..

Attachments

• 20220617_102833.jpg
    20220617_102833.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220617_102637.jpg
    20220617_102637.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 24
coralbandit
Male female in that order.

Gorm6969
Now they need to not have such a toxic relationship....

StarGirl
All of a sudden they may play house and lay eggs.

Gorm6969
That would be nice. Got a nice flat surface stone for them...

Top Bottom