Sexing My German Blue Ram

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mdarken, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mdarken

mdarkenNew MemberMember

Hi all,
    Just wanted to check what the opinions are on the sex on out GBR as we are wanting to get a mate & hope to set up breeding pair.
    I'm 90% sure it is a male. 95401ff1e3d8ba15cb441f8412c3f4ed.jpgec282c72b21e532072e05debaecf80c5.jpg

Any feedback appreciated.

2. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

99% male he's a good example of a GBR too.

3. Zahc

ZahcWell Known MemberMember

That's a beautiful male GBR, very nice fish.

4. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

I would say male to. Usually it's harder to tell so you got lucky . He's a very pretty fish.

5. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

if i absolutely had to guess.... young male with features still in development due to caudal fin trait. however, it looks effeminate to me. the analfin looks too round. i dont judge by the first fin rays since i have a female with long dorsal fin rays just like that. plus feed it lotsa goodies like live blackworms to fatten that sightly sunken belly, males will stay slimmer but females get really round. also, as it matures note the crescent shape of the caudal fin and the tips (male trait) and the back end tips of the dorsal and analfins.

6. OP
    OP
    mdarken

mdarkenNew MemberMember

Thanks for the replies guys!

Now can you let me know your thoughts on this one? 9e2432ff2b49643a2e923e2668680d8a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. JackyB

JackyBNew MemberMember

I'm not an expert, but I would say that is a female. The spines on the dorsal fin looks a bit short as compared to most males (however, it could just be young). Also, the belly looks to be largely pink, however, this is probably due to the reflection of your substrate. There also seems to be blue reflective scales within the black spot (not usually seen in males). I've also read that if the pectoral fins have a black streak (like yours does) then this means it is a female (only one source has mentioned this as far as I know).

8. Zahc

That's a female. Short rounded fins, chubby belly with pink tinge, and reflective blue scale's in the black spot on the side of the fish indicates that.

A black streak on the pectoral is not an appropriate way to sex GBR's

9. thisindianguy

thisindianguyNew MemberMember

Can you all please tell me if my Gold Ram is a male or female ?!

Attached Files:

10. Zahc

That's a gorgeous male.

11. OP
    OP
    mdarken

mdarkenNew MemberMember

Thanks. That was what I was thinking, not sure pink belly as the red rocks are sending off a fair reflection.

Thanks. Yeah not sure on the black pectorals as my "90% sure" male has the black there too

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2017
  12. Zahc

No worries! I was going to say, the substrate is probably affecting the belly colour, but everything else on the fish shouts female so I would say shes just not ready for breeding yet.

13. thisindianguy

Thank you! I was thinking it was male as well! It's still pretty young right ? This is my first Ram! He was shy at first but now he's being a little feisty with other tank mates!

14. Zahc

He looks young, but mature. In his prime days basically, or leading up to them now. His dorsal extension is beautiful, i've never been a huge fan of the Gold Rams, but your guy is a real looker.

15. thisindianguy

Aah thanks ! I appreciate your comments! Means a lot and I try my best to maintain it's needs lol