Sexing My Gbr

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Dillan, Apr 12, 2017.

1. D

Dillan New Member Member

Hi. I just picked up a gold ram and a GBR yesterday. I'm sure the gold ram is a female but I'm not sure about the GBR. It has a pink belly, but the anal fin extends past the base of the tail, and the second r ay in the dorsal fin is a bit longer than the rest. It can be hard to take a picture because the little guy doesn't like to sit still. I can take more if needed 0412171045.jpg 0412171044.jpg

2. RedTailRookie

RedTailRookie Valued Member Member

If you just got it I d say wait a few days after a few feedings and they settle in so that they can feed well and calm down so that they spread their fins for you. And look at forehead shape - i find that's more telling than anal fins. Sharp slant is female and rounded curve is male.

3. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

hmm.. the german blue has been flaring fins and it seems like the second ray is maybe a millimeter or two longer than the rest. it's barely noticable. I also checked out the foreheads, on my gold female, the forehead has a very slight curve going down where the german blue has basically the same thing except a very slight hump in the middle of the forehead. would this indicate male? I called the fish store and they said if it is a female, i can bring it back and swap it out for a female without any issues

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Looks just like my female.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a big, fat, eggladen female. Sometimes it really isn't that mysterious as to what the sex is.

6. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

Thanks. After i brought them home and got them in the tank, i was thinking female too

7. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

You really think she's full of eggs? haha. The guy at the store told me it was a male but after looking closely after getting them home, i was pretty sure it was a female but i figured i'd recruit some people that have had experience with rams as these are my very first ones

8. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

UPDATE:
    So i found out that both of these rams are in fact female. So I went to the fish store and saw a single beautiful gold ram that someone had traded in. I took him home and got him in the tank with the females 2 days ago. The females went crazy after he was put in. Both of them kept trying to get his attention and they would clean the flat rock that i had placed in there. Their egg tubes even seem to be protruding quite a bit today. But the male doesn't seem interested. He is usually just going up and down the tank glass. What should i do? get another male? or give him time to adjust and get comfortable in the tank? He has only been in there one day less than the small females and they seem very happy in their new home. I will be gone over the weekend and i hope to come back to some eggs. Below are some pictures of everyone
    Here is the gold female. If you look closely, you can see what looks like her egg tube
    0414171436c.jpg
    Here is my male:
    0414171437.jpg

9. chromedome52

Very nice looking Golds, both of them. I would note, two of my three pairs of Golds have spawned on the substrate, which was #30 red flint gravel. The last pair spawned on an almond leaf, but the eggs were infertile.

I would be patient, hopefully he will choose one of the girls. However, when he does, the other one will need to stay out of sight, or she may be attacked. If you have another tank available, I would consider removing one of the girls temporarily. It narrows his choice, perhaps making it easier to get to a spawning.

10. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

Actually, upon closer inspection. my gold "female" is actually a male! I'm not quite sure how i missed that in the store. Probably because the worker told me he was a female and didn't question it. The female GBR and little gold male are spawning as we speak. The large male is pretty shy so they just chase him away when he gets too close. They are cleaning off a flat rock in the bottom that they are about to lay eggs on. Thanks for the help though!

11. chromedome52

Your picture of the smaller gold certainly looks female to me, down to the presence of a female breeding tube. Two females that have been together will act like a pair, even with a new male in the tank. In fact, the added presence of a male might actually trigger such a faux spawn. I'd continue to watch them for a while, and see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

12. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

would a female still have the long rays in the dorsal fin? Because they are very long on that little gold ram

13. OP
    OP
    D

Dillan New Member Member

both of them are also chasing the large gold male away. The small gold and small GBR are both on the flat rock picking at it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice