Sexing My Bolivian Rams

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Paulsz, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Paulsz

Paulsz Valued Member Member

Hi all,

Bought 2 Bolivian Rams for my 20 gallon, hoping it were one male and one female. I know that for sexing, there's almost a sure way of telling by looking at the ventrical (the male's is slim and pointing back, the female has a larger one almost straight down). However, these fish were still young and small that I couldn't see a ventrical on any of them. I've heard there are other ways as well, such as elongated second and third dorsale fins, but that these other methods aren't 100%. Based on the photos of the two below, what do you think these are? And if both males, how could I go about getting a male female? Since they are still small, can I go get 3 more, hope for a pair and then give the rest to a friend? Because I know that a pair will do in a 20 gallon, but not as many as 5 full grown ones.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Get 6 wait till they pair then keep any pairs, could take awhile till they mature to pair

3. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Or get older ones that you can def sex

4. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

They both look like very young males to me, but personally, I would wait for a few months until they mature a bit more, then post some photos. We can be certain then.

5. OP
    OP
    Paulsz

Paulsz Valued Member Member

Will do. I've kept them for now. Tried going back to the store to grab a few more but found them to be not for sale (medicating at the moment). I'm glad I saved these guys sooner. The others looked to be in rough shape. :(

6. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I agree, looks like two young males too me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice