Sexing My Angelfish

1. dacocoa

dacocoa New Member Member

Hey guys and gals! I have had this pair of angelfish since about February, and a few days ago they spawned. Within a day or so, the eggs all went white, then disappeared over night. From what I've read, that means the eggs were infertile? I was wondering if you could help me tell which angel is male or female? Or if I have two females? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

They both look female to me.
    Was there any aggression towards one another around the eggs?
    Do you know which one laid them?

3. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

No no aggression towards each other at all. They worked well together with them.

4. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

But I know, they sure throw me for a loop. I thought maybe whichever one was male, didn't know how to spawn yet and didn't fertilize them. This is the first time. But idk

5. P

Well its common for angels to try many times before fertilizing them. Parameters have to be on point and they have to feel their fry would be safe enough to survive.

What size tank are they in and any tankmates?
    If you pay attention you should be able to tell their genders by checking out their breeding tubes

6. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

They are in a 55 gallon. Yes there's tank mates as I wasn't expecting them to pair. But I know that's always a risk. I wasn't around when they laid them so I couldn't observe who was doing what.

7. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

My water parameters are good except for nitrate. I have to do something for that as its been constantly on the high end for a few weeks. But otherwise, good

8. P

What are your exact numbers?
    I have tank mates with my angels and theyre fine with them when spawning

9. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

Ammonia and Nitrite are 0ppm, Nitrate is 40ppm and ph is 6.6. The tank mates are fine, just that when the eggs were around, the Angels would turn on their side and dart straight into them. Looked pretty viscous.

10. P

Lol! Yeah, protecting their eggs. Mine will dart at the other angels, just to the point that they're on the other side of the tank, then they go back to watching the eggs.
    Do you know what the cause is for your nitrates?
    If youre doing adequate water changes, you may have nitrates in your source water

11. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

I don't know. I do about 15% change every five to seven days. I don't over feed as I feed every few days. So I'm unsure. Maybe I should test my tap water? I was thinking of trying the Nitrz-Zorb stuff?

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Rather than trying the Nitra-Zorb, I'd do large water changes. 30-50% weekly would be much better than 15% weekly, and it'll keep your nitrates down.

13. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

I will have to try that. I just don't have a Python and all I have is a gallon and a half bucket I can drain the water in which makes lots of trips to the sink to dump when I'm changing the water

14. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

do you have any opinions on the gender of my angels?

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can pick up 5 gal buckets from a hardware store.

If I had to guess, I'd stay striped was female and black marble was male, but I'm not very good at sexing.
    chromedome52

16. P

Tex is right, 15% is definitely not enough.
    I have a ~2g bucket I do my water changes with, and refill with a 1g water jug lol
    If either is male, id also say the marble is

17. OP
    OP
    dacocoa

Thank you guys!