Sexing Guppy?

stacec

Hello!

Is this a male or a female guppy? What type is he/she?
Excuse the terrible photos, he/she is an absolute mover!

blewishblue

I believe that's a male endler?

Bryangar

Those look like lyretail guppy/endler hybrids. Top looks like male, unsure on the the 2nd picture.

aussieJJDude

All males.

emeraldking

All males and no endler influence. Swords shaped like that are guppy traits.

Obi3ice

Wow. That’s a beautiful male endler. Lovely specie you got there. I have 2 male endlers but they are not as lovely as yours.

The Aquatic Weasel

Obi3ice said:
Wow. That’s a beautiful male endler. Lovely specie you got there. I have 2 male endlers but they are not as lovely as yours.
Pretty sure they are just semi-wild guppies. No endlers as emeraldking said. You can tell if a livebearer is male/female by looking at their analfin. If there is a gonopodium (extension of analfin used to breed) it is a male.

emeraldking

The Aquatic Weasel said:
Pretty sure they are just semi-wild guppies. No endlers as emeraldking said. You can tell if a livebearer is male/female by looking at their analfin. If there is a gonopodium (extension of analfin used to breed) it is a male.
Well noticed about the semi-wild guppies...
The pattern on his body does show characteristics of wild influence. So, that's correct. But I do have to say that this is a commercial guppy. Overhere in Holland you see similar ones in the mix at an average lfs. But yes, also wild traits are still used to create new strains.

A small note on the gonopodium story:
A transformed analfin into a gonopodium only refers to males belonging to ovoviviparous livebearers. With real viviparous livebearers such as goodeids, halfbeaks and so on... the male analfin will develop a small notch on the front of the analfin which is called the andropodium.

A lot of people don't know that there are both ovoviviparous and viviparous livebearers. Therefore most people will call all livebearers viviparous. Which is technically not correct.

Obi3ice

emeraldking said:
Well noticed about the semi-wild guppies...
The pattern on his body does show characteristics of wild influence. So, that's correct. But I do have to say that this is a commercial guppy. Overhere in Holland you see similar ones in the mix at an average lfs. But yes, also wild traits are still used to create new strains.

A small note on the gonopodium story:
A transformed analfin into a gonopodium only refers to males belonging to ovoviviparous livebearers. With real viviparous livebearers such as goodeids, halfbeaks and so on... the male analfin will develop a small notch on the front of the analfin which is called the andropodium.

A lot of people don't know that there are both ovoviviparous and viviparous livebearers. Therefore most people will call all livebearers viviparous. Which is technically not correct.
Interesting read.

Guppy_Lover713

The guppies are males, couldn't tell you the type though.

stacec

Thank you everyone! Looks like they are a he! Which is fantastic, I thought they looked beautiful and didn’t even think to ask the gender, which is great because they are in a all male tank at the moment (imagine the horror if he was female lol, definitely not a breeder at the moment!)

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom