Sexing green terror

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pretty sure its female but I don't have any experience just web knowledge.

First one should be the "Female". The top fin is actually more rounded than the pic shows, and as for the marks on the head, "she" was in a tank with several midas cichlids and was pretty beat up when bought.

The second one is the male I've had for a while

x

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it looks like a female to me but what size is it? It can be really hard to tell the difference until they are about 3".

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
about 2, 2-1/4 inches

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Green Terrors look really good when they are about 5-6 inches. Love 'em.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool! I've never seen one of those before, but my dad used to have one in a 100 gallon tank he had a work years ago. He said he put it in, and within like 5 mins, it had every single fish in the whole tank cornered in a 2 foot section while it patrolled the whole tank! Dad drilled some holes in plexiglass, and gave the green terror a much smaller portion of the tank. Well, it got late and he forgot to put the lid on, and in the morning the green terror was dead on the floor! He wanted to get @ the other fish so bad he jumped onto the floor! I'm wondering if he had it in with some reeeally bad tankmates or something!

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah green terrors are jumpers, both of em nearly jumped out of the containers they were in at petsmart before they could bag em.

and yeah these guys are fun to watch, i love siting at the tank and watching them slowy stick their heads out at me then swimming to the front like I m going to feed them, and ususally i do. ;D

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are full of personality all right. I love GT's but havn't had one for a few months now. At the size your is now Tommy I can't say for certain if it's male or female but my gut does say female & I tend to trust my gut on these things. You will know for sure once it gets to 3.5-4".

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the male keeps flashing at the female

but the female is too young correct?

I typed this post on my wii

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they are probably both too young but it's hard to tell just from size alone if the fish is sexually mature or not. It's a good sign but you will need to watch out for him being aggressive to the female if she rejects him, which she most likely will, especially if she isn't sexually mature yet. If she rejects him too much & can't get away he will get aggressive & may even kill her. Don't panic though, just keep an eye on them & if things start to get out of hand get her out of his tank quickly or get a divider in there to keep them separate until you know she is of suitable breeding age. When you put them back together you will still need to keep an eye on them to make sure she doesn't reject him. If they do need to be seperated for awhile to let her grow using the divider is the best choice. If she can see & sense the male there everyday it will make it much more likely for her to accept him when the divider is removed than if she were to be kept in a separate tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning, The above link may give you more information on sexing your Green Terror.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads