Question sexing gouramis, and care questions

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have a gourami (its either a 3 spot or a blue, not sure.... if any one could tell me, i would love to kno =D i will post a link to a pic in a bit). i was wondering how to sex it. i thing its a blue but, i also think its a female, and most of the blue pix i see, the males are the ones that have spots. if im correct, the females have shorter, rounded dorsal fins, while the males have longer, pointed ones, right?

also, i have NO IDEA what gourami's need. i looked at the gourami profile on here, and it wasnt really much help. i did ask at PetSmart (i even told the person at the register to send me a person that knew what they were talking about to me XD rather rudely too, because i stood by the fish for like 5 minutes and no one came over D= ) and i asked what they eat because my uncle had been feeding it and the other fish in the tank with it (a rainbow shark, talking catfish and rasbora) pond flakes but other than that, i dont know what to do with it. i also know they are sort of like bettas (which i do have experience with).

one more question, how do i get it to not be so shy? it wont eat unless im away from the tank (unless so of the food goes in the back corner where it usually hangs out) so its hard to judge how much food i should put in for it. should i get it a buddy (unless its a male, then maybe not...)? if i do, would it be ok for 2 gourami's, a 4 1/2 white-spot doradid, 4 cuban ditch fish and a 4 1/2 inch albino rainbow shark to be in a 30 gallon (with regular water changes. right now the 1 gourami and the other fish are in a 20 long and the guppies got down-graded into the 10g)?

thanks in advance and i'll have a pic of the gourami up asap! <3

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have a gourami (its either a 3 spot or a blue, not sure.... if any one could tell me, i would love to kno =D i will post a link to a pic in a bit). i was wondering how to sex it. i thing its a blue but, i also think its a female, and most of the blue pix i see, the males are the ones that have spots. if im correct, the females have shorter, rounded dorsal fins, while the males have longer, pointed ones, right?

also, i have NO IDEA what gourami's need. i looked at the gourami profile on here, and it wasnt really much help. i did ask at PetSmart (i even told the person at the register to send me a person that knew what they were talking about to me XD rather rudely too, because i stood by the fish for like 5 minutes and no one came over D= ) and i asked what they eat because my uncle had been feeding it and the other fish in the tank with it (a rainbow shark, talking catfish and rasbora) pond flakes but other than that, i dont know what to do with it. i also know they are sort of like bettas (which i do have experience with).

one more question, how do i get it to not be so shy? it wont eat unless im away from the tank (unless so of the food goes in the back corner where it usually hangs out) so its hard to judge how much food i should put in for it. should i get it a buddy (unless its a male, then maybe not...)? if i do, would it be ok for 2 gourami's, a 4 1/2 white-spot doradid, 4 cuban ditch fish and a 4 1/2 inch albino rainbow shark to be in a 30 gallon (with regular water changes. right now the 1 gourami and the other fish are in a 20 long and the guppies got down-graded into the 10g)?

thanks in advance and i'll have a pic of the gourami up asap! <3
I think you're right. Females have shorter dorsal fins while males have longer fins. Gouramis are usually from India, and South east Asia so that means they need a heater and lots of good strong light. You can get some live plants I think you do already. Anyways, gouramis are also labyrinth fish meaning they breathe the surface air and breathe underwater too but that doesn't mean they can stay out of water.

They usually like to eat flake foods because they mouths aren't as big for eating pellet foods although you can try Anything soft would be good. My platinum gourami loves to eat mysis shrimp after it has been soaked in water making it soft and then all of my fish will usually fight for it They like the pH of around 7.0 and slightly acidic waters probably around 6.0 - 6.5 nothing too acidic. If your water is usually hard and kind of neutral since hard water has the pH around 7.4-7.6? maybe... then you can get peat moss and put it in a mesh bag and put it into where the filter sponge and activated carbon is in your filter place then your water will be softer and you can put in neon tetras and cardinals and all sorts of tetras that like more acidic water They go well with gouramis.

Also, gouramis are usually shy for the first few weeks since they have been moved from tank to tank meaning LFS to your home, and there for you'll just have to give it some time to adjust I don't know if you have had the gouramis in there for a long time, but if it has been in for a long time it must be scared a bit. Don't worry, as long as it is healthy you should be fine. If it isn't healthy, do a lot of water changes because that will help strengthen up their immune system

Good luck!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you're right. Females have shorter dorsal fins while males have longer fins. Gouramis are usually from India, and South east Asia so that means they need a heater and lots of good strong light. You can get some live plants I think you do already. Anyways, gouramis are also labyrinth fish meaning they breathe the surface air and breathe underwater too but that doesn't mean they can stay out of water.

They usually like to eat flake foods because they mouths aren't as big for eating pellet foods although you can try Anything soft would be good. My platinum gourami loves to eat mysis shrimp after it has been soaked in water making it soft and then all of my fish will usually fight for it They like the pH of around 7.0 and slightly acidic waters probably around 6.0 - 6.5 nothing too acidic. If your water is usually hard and kind of neutral since hard water has the pH around 7.4-7.6? maybe... then you can get peat moss and put it in a mesh bag and put it into where the filter sponge and activated carbon is in your filter place then your water will be softer and you can put in neon tetras and cardinals and all sorts of tetras that like more acidic water They go well with gouramis.

Also, gouramis are usually shy for the first few weeks since they have been moved from tank to tank meaning LFS to your home, and there for you'll just have to give it some time to adjust I don't know if you have had the gouramis in there for a long time, but if it has been in for a long time it must be scared a bit. Don't worry, as long as it is healthy you should be fine. If it isn't healthy, do a lot of water changes because that will help strengthen up their immune system

Good luck!
Thanks Neji! i got her from my uncle who had to move and couldnt keep her, along with an Albino Rainbow Shark, a White-Spotted Doradid, and a Scissor Tail Rasbora (who died a few days ago). i also have 4 Cuban Ditch Fish that came from the pond where he got water from (he forgot the tank was draining and they found all the fish floppin' around on the gravel, so it was either died from their gills drying out, or adjust to pond water very quickly. the Ditch Fish were just an added bonus =D).

the only plants i have are some Bamboo but they are in my betta tank and he is very attached to it. i am trying to get some of those dried bulbs that you get from WalMart to grow. i've had them for about 1 month and a half, but they are starting to spread their roots a bit.

yesterday was the last day of treatment for the fungus, and after i did a water change i pit in summore plants that i thot she would like, but seems to be avoiding...

i use treated tap water, and i dont have a test kit (i was gunna buy one but the cheapest was about $20 and i was already spending $15 on medication...) so i dont know what the water's like. where can i get peat moss? and i can replace the sponge and carbon filter with it? thats interesting ^.^

also, do u think i should get her a buddy and move everyone to the 30 gallon? or would she be ok by herself?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
3 spot gouramis come in several color variations, including blue and gold.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the only plants i have are some Bamboo but they are in my betta tank and he is very attached to it. i am trying to get some of those dried bulbs that you get from WalMart to grow. i've had them for about 1 month and a half, but they are starting to spread their roots a bit.
That's good It's good to know that your dried bulbs are growing! I guess you'll have to give it another month or so for it to grow leaves.

i use treated tap water, and i dont have a test kit (i was gunna buy one but the cheapest was about $20 and i was already spending $15 on medication...) so i dont know what the water's like. where can i get peat moss? and i can replace the sponge and carbon filter with it? thats interesting ^.^
Oh I see. Well if your fish are still alive and swimming well, that is something good If they are sick, then you should probably buy a test kit. I don't use tap water so I don't know about that stuff but I know that if you don't want to treat your water with a chlorine neutralizer then you should fill the bucket or pale up with water and let it sit in the sun for a day and then by the next morning, your water is chlorine free You can always add a LITTLE bit of chlorine neutralizer if you want just to be safe

You can find peat moss at any aquarium store that sells reptile stuff. Since peat moss is what a lot of people use for reptile bedding. Other than that, you can go to a local greenhouse I use peat moss for my venus fly traps since they don't have nutrients and that's what my fly traps need Peat moss for you, you can put it in to a small mesh bag and put it in the filter insert and then it will soften your water in the tank making it more acidic And You'll need your sponge filter to be inside because it helps to filter out debree in your tank. Peat moss is just an extra And i suggest you don't remove your carbon either since it helps to keep the water clear and takes out some of the odor too

yesterday was the last day of treatment for the fungus, and after i did a water change i pit in summore plants that i thot she would like, but seems to be avoiding...
Hmm. You should probably give it a few more days or maybe 1 week. The fish might still be a little scared still.

also, do u think i should get her a buddy and move everyone to the 30 gallon? or would she be ok by herself?
Hmm, the gourami? I think you should get her a buddy later on when she starts to feel less scared. Otherwise it might be too much stress on her.

Good luck!! ^_^

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think 2 full size gouramis in a 30 is risky. Gouramis are similar to bettas, in that they are content to be alone.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's good It's good to know that your dried bulbs are growing! I guess you'll have to give it another month or so for it to grow leaves.
they are supposed to grow about 8 inches in 2 weeks. this is my second go at these stupid things, but now we are getting some where with them, so i'll give them a bit longer....

Oh I see. Well if your fish are still alive and swimming well, that is something good If they are sick, then you should probably buy a test kit. I don't use tap water so I don't know about that stuff but I know that if you don't want to treat your water with a chlorine neutralizer then you should fill the bucket or pale up with water and let it sit in the sun for a day and then by the next morning, your water is chlorine free You can always add a LITTLE bit of chlorine neutralizer if you want just to be safe
they seem better now. it was reaaaally bad on the Rasbora, and i took it out of the tank. it was just starting to get to the Rainbow Shark, but no one else was showing signs, so i think we're good. i'm just going by the directions on the box (treat with 1 packet per 10 gallons, wait two days, do it again, wait two more days and change 25% of the water and add carbon back in the filter). then took the chance to put in the new plants, out of conveience. i use that Tetra brand water conditioner that u can get anywhere, but i got the medium sized one because i got the 20 gallon, and its cheaper to buy bigger (and i didnt want to spend $30 on the gianormous one... ._. )

You can find peat moss at any aquarium store that sells reptile stuff. Since peat moss is what a lot of people use for reptile bedding. Other than that, you can go to a local greenhouse I use peat moss for my venus fly traps since they don't have nutrients and that's what my fly traps need Peat moss for you, you can put it in to a small mesh bag and put it in the filter insert and then it will soften your water in the tank making it more acidic And You'll need your sponge filter to be inside because it helps to filter out debree in your tank. Peat moss is just an extra And i suggest you don't remove your carbon either since it helps to keep the water clear and takes out some of the odor too
ooooh, ok. i just missunderstood. well i dont have any room for anything else in my filter unless i take one of the filters out ( i have a spone, carbon and bioMAX, which i hear is actually a bit unnecessary...)

Hmm. You should probably give it a few more days or maybe 1 week. The fish might still be a little scared still.
i think she would have been ok with them if the Rainbow Shark didnt bully her so much when she came over to check them out. he's such a brat lol i think he would give all his atittude to the catfish if he wasnt afraid of it, so instead it gives it all to my poor little gourami D= luckly its only evey now ant then tho

Hmm, the gourami? I think you should get her a buddy later on when she starts to feel less scared. Otherwise it might be too much stress on her.

Good luck!! ^_^
im not sure if im gunna get her friend now. i was thinking earlier today that im leaving for college in about a year and 1/2 and my mom doesnt know ANYTHING about caring for fish (which is funny because she always had Oscars when i was growing up -_-) and i probly wont be able to take them with me, unless i go to to school close to home (which i probly wont...)

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im not sure if im gunna get her friend now. i was thinking earlier today that im leaving for college in about a year and 1/2 and my mom doesnt know ANYTHING about caring for fish (which is funny because she always had Oscars when i was growing up -_-) and i probly wont be able to take them with me, unless i go to to school close to home (which i probly wont...)
AHAHAHAHA That is funny!!! Maybe she doesn't remember how to care for fish anymore? She should join this forum when you go off to college

i think she would have been ok with them if the Rainbow Shark didnt bully her so much when she came over to check them out. he's such a brat lol i think he would give all his atittude to the catfish if he wasnt afraid of it, so instead it gives it all to my poor little gourami D= luckly its only evey now ant then tho
Lol well Sharks can be tempermental sometimes xD I remember having a bala shark and it was always very nice, although it picked on some fish so I traded it for another fish

ooooh, ok. i just missunderstood. well i dont have any room for anything else in my filter unless i take one of the filters out ( i have a spone, carbon and bioMAX, which i hear is actually a bit unnecessary...)
lol you should probably get another filter then I have the aqua clear filters, they are pretty good although I like the penguins better since they to me seem to work a lot better at keeping the water clean

they are supposed to grow about 8 inches in 2 weeks. this is my second go at these stupid things, but now we are getting some where with them, so i'll give them a bit longer....
Ha ha I guess patience will pay off soon Good luck with your plant

they seem better now. it was reaaaally bad on the Rasbora, and i took it out of the tank. it was just starting to get to the Rainbow Shark, but no one else was showing signs, so i think we're good. i'm just going by the directions on the box (treat with 1 packet per 10 gallons, wait two days, do it again, wait two more days and change 25% of the water and add carbon back in the filter). then took the chance to put in the new plants, out of conveience. i use that Tetra brand water conditioner that u can get anywhere, but i got the medium sized one because i got the 20 gallon, and its cheaper to buy bigger (and i didnt want to spend $30 on the gianormous one... ._. )
Oh wow $30 for water conditioner O_O??? You should check out the pet stores with wear house prices on fish and accessories you get stuff that is cheaper

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AHAHAHAHA That is funny!!! Maybe she doesn't remember how to care for fish anymore? She should join this forum when you go off to college
no, she was the kind of person that bought 1 dozen goldfish for a three day meal... and the water was never changed untill u could no longer see the fish and we (meaning my dad lol) had to scoop around in there with a tubberware container, hopeing to God it didnt take a chunck out of your arm... then all the water got changed and the fish got put back in -sigh-

Lol well Sharks can be tempermental sometimes xD I remember having a bala shark and it was always very nice, although it picked on some fish so I traded it for another fish
im not alowed to trade, sell or rehome any of the fish i got from my uncle ( and i was told spesifically to be nice to the catfish XD [im afraid of it]). he's only a jerk sometimes tho, its not too bad

lol you should probably get another filter then I have the aqua clear filters, they are pretty good although I like the penguins better since they to me seem to work a lot better at keeping the water clean
i like it and it does a very good job. i think i'll just leave it how it is because i know they have all lived in city water all their lives with nothing special added in to water. if i can convince my parents tho, i will try to get some and maybe replace the BioMAX filter (i was told by other members that its not nesessary, its just a way for the company to get more money).

Ha ha I guess patience will pay off soon Good luck with your plant
with any luck... i think im gunna put them into the 10 gallon now that they have started to show signs of life. the 10 has those Aqua Culture Growth Bulbs because at one point i had some Water Wisteria, but i killed it after switching to the 20 long... (i also hear that its hard to kill that stuff... lol)

Oh wow $30 for water conditioner O_O??? You should check out the pet stores with wear house prices on fish and accessories you get stuff that is cheaper
it was one of those really huge bottles, like 16 fl ounces or something. unfortualtly tho, we dont have any cheap petstores around here (that i kno of at least), so i usually go to PetSmart or a local store called Mike's Aquarium. if i have to, i'll go to PetCo, but im still mad at them from a guppy insident <.< >.> >.<

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom