Sexing Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Justkeepswimming01, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Justkeepswimming01

Justkeepswimming01Well Known MemberMember

Just wondering if anyone with a more trained eye can tell me if my goldfish is a male or female? I haven't seen any breeding stars but it's not in with other goldfish. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Also just to be sure it's an Oranda? My family got it from the pet store years ago and it hasn't grown and it's wen hasn't grown larger.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Lunnapr11

Lunnapr11Valued MemberMember

I'm subscribing to see if you get some useful advice on sexing goldfish... I was about to post about that too, since I just got 2 of them! Definitely looks like an oranda to me, lfs recommended Hikari Lionhead to promote wen growth... mine loves it.

3. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

I watched a few YouTube videos on sexing goldfish that lead me to believe its a boy but i want to see what others say

4. Lunnapr11

Good idea, I'll check YouTube. The photos where you are holding "him", zooming on "his" vent, did not load last time I saw this post... so invasive hahahaha! I can almost hear "him" scream; moooooooom! LOL! :hilarious:

5. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

lol yeah it is invasive but he's got such a large tail the only way I could see it was to hold him.

6. RayannNew MemberMember

7. Lunnapr11

8. RayannNew MemberMember

9. Lunnapr11

Hahaha! I was going to guess the other way around! Dark orange - female (outie) and lighter orange - male (innie). :)

10. RayannNew MemberMember

I agree with you 100% :) I have been all over the place looking at photos and I had a feeling I got it backwards ...Also lol it helped when I turned the photos around so they were all going same way. The video that you shared I have watched that one about a million times :) It was a huge help this pic I found helped alot too....

Attached Files:

11. Summer22

Summer22Valued MemberMember

One sure way to sex goldfish is if you do happen to have multiple in a tank that the male will push nose into the anal fin area of female ( kind of like a dog sniffing another dogs butt lol) and push the female around/ follow her very closely in this position. Solid Gold said that this is the male trying to push female into plants to encourage her to drop eggs for him to fertilize.

My black moore and calico fantail both did this to my big gold fantail.

12. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

I haven't had any fish in my tank chase yet the two new ones are young though. I'll post another picture here of another goldfish I can't tell if it's male or female

13. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

The only way I could figure it out - was when mine dropped eggs last week. Then I knew for sure. ;)

Good luck - hope you can figure it out!

14. Lunnapr11

Hahaha that's one way

15. Lunnapr11

Girl???! 64390097fe0e3df47c367ee952344a9e.jpg461676690eb7bc37066454e7ce2de1f9.jpg

16. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

That's not the part you're looking for it's down below the tail a bit
    This is it but I can't tell from the picture 04e6bd1e63b1aec56630d3b998920c89.png

17. Lunnapr11

LMAO! I've been looking at the wrong place this whole time!

18. Lunnapr11

Better?! Please tell me it's a girl! Jane sounds weird for a boy 8fc967bf37ec90dec5df94040322fa55.jpg4f4ac017fc3730c23653b0f532411f0b.jpg708ef2f3074d1b30e482a560eee208fd.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

Just by that it looks like a boy. Does it stick out at all? For girls it's barely noticeable and sticks out a little bit. For boys it looks like a crater and is inward

20. Lunnapr11

Yeah, crater is more like it... I guess Jane will be James! thanks though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice