Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Sexing German Blue Rams Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by LeahsTank, Mar 6, 2019.

1. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

I’m sure the resident ram experts are tired of this same old question, but here goes... how to tell the difference???

I had what I thought was a female who didn’t like any male I brought home. She managed to stress and murder 3. So I just bought 5 juveniles and brought them back to just see if I could manage to get one pair. Once I got them into the tank, I notice 4 have a pink belly, and 4 have blue freckles in the black spot. But, it’s not just one fish that has no pink belly and no black spot freckles. One fish with blue freckles has no pink, while one with a pink belly has a solid black spot.

I have read that the ovipositor on the female will be obvious.

So my question is, will the ovipositor be visible on every female or only when they are about to drop some eggs? And if I don’t see it, do I assume it is male? And if I see it, does that mean there is a male in their mist? Ok... maybe there was more than one question.

Any help will be appreciated.

As a side note, where can I get more information about the pairing, mating, and fighting behavior and knowing the difference? I have drastically lowered my blood pressure watching these guys, but I’d be interested in knowing what I’m watching.

2. faithless1New MemberMember

can you show us a clear pic of it?

3. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

There are 6 rams in the tank. It is hard to get just one to pose for me, but I will see what I can get tomorrow. It’s lights out in the QT already.

4. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

I guess I can’t really show you a CLEAR pic. Lol. But here are some of what I was able to get... don’t mind the ich, I am treating them for it now.

IMG_0623.JPGIMG_0624.JPGIMG_0666.JPGIMG_0620.JPGIMG_0622.JPGIMG_0628.JPGIMG_0653.JPGIMG_0628.JPGIMG_0662.JPG

5. richsfishesNew MemberMember

I think i see all females (although the closer I look I question that on pic 3, 7,9) . I always go by the length of the analfin. On females the analfin rarely if ever reaches past the "joint" between the body and the caudal fin (tail). The only example that comes close in your photos is the very last one.....but that pink belly makes me think female on that one as well. But thats the only one I see where the analfin extends past that spot where the tail starts. (Imagine drawing a straight vertical line right where the tail is and seeing if the tip of the analfin crosses it).

I've never found any other method to be very reliable. I've seen both males and females with the 2nd dorsal ray extension (although it is almost always longer on males) and I've seen both males and females display as well as not display blue spangling etc.

To answer some of your other questions, no females wont necessarily always have a pink belly. The female ovipositor is noticeable when out but wont always be visible. But it is visible in your photos on what I think is the same fish multiple times in pic 1,2,4,5,6 and 8.....the one that seems to have the worst ich outbreak.

6. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

You’re right! That is the same fish. I wasn’t even paying attention. I was just trying to get clear pics as they came into view. That fish is the one that appears to be ready to drop eggs. Her colors are very vibrant. Pink belly that blends into a rich purple from the belly to the start of the caudal... and the huge ovipositor. She also spends a lot of time in one area cleaning a leaf, but she doesn’t seem to have help. I suspect the fish below to possibly be a male and I see him with her a lot, but he also gets distracted by the other fish, so who knows. They tend to nudge each other a lot and are more forceful with the other fish. His dorsal has a tiny bit more spikes than all the others (except my original) and his body is longer than round. His analfin is also longer but I don’t think it goes past the caudal fin, but they are young. I don’t know how long it takes for the fins to reach full length.

The last pic from the original 9 is my original GBR who I always thought was a female. But recently, I been suspecting as a male too. IMG_0668.JPG

7. faithless1New MemberMember

last post indeed strikes me as a male, but yea observe their behavior when they're not begging for food and you can distinguish a couple vs the loners and outsiders.

8. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

Ok... what’s your opinion on this one? analfin is past the caudal base, but is that an ovipositor or man bits? IMG_0691.JPG

9. faithless1New MemberMember

female without a doubt

10. richsfishesNew MemberMember

Tough call....could be man bits (lol) as it seems smaller than the female ovipostor thats visible in some of your other photos. The angle of the photo makes it a bit tough to see the analfin well on this one.

Could be that one is a bit young still. Since you have multiple rams in the tank that can sometimes result in one male being much more dominant over another especially if there is a female around. If you watch how they behave with one another it might give you a better idea too.

11. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I know this is a week old thread, but when you see pink on the belly like that, it’s a female. The analfin could be a mile long and I wouldn’t second guess it. I’ve never seen a male with a pink belly, including pictures online and my own that I’ve raised.

The very first step you should take when sexing a standard Blue Ram is a pink belly.
    Yes: female.
    No: go on to the analfin

12. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

They all look female to me .
    It is a combo of things and no 1 single tell can be relied on although it may be just 1 tell that clearly calls it out .
    Any of them pairing off ? They won't try to fool you and lie to you like angels will .If they are all girls you will not see a pair .

13. LeahsTankValued MemberMember

CCA374BF-DE9F-4201-903D-43EEA001B894.jpeg
    Yes. I had 1 pair up. When I went to pull them after you suggested I separate them, the male had paired up with another female (men!) lol.

But the new happy couple already spawned with a nice little pile of eggs which were quickly gobbled up by the new couple. I’m ok with that because I’m not trying to breed them. I just want to see them happy.

These are the happy couple... they get to claim the entire floor of a 55 gallon and only have to share it with one gold zebra loach.

Spolt!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  14. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Nice ! I was just going to say the one on the left might be male !
    You can note his vent is barely noticeable and pointy while hers is clear .It is really like that although not so dramatic always .