Sexing Endlers Livebearers?

MrsWolfie

Hi all,
Just wondered at what age can I sex endlers livebearers, and how do I tell? I've had a good snoop around but it a lot of advice seems to relate to guppies and mine are pure N class flame tail endlers. My fry are between 2-3 weeks (Mum had two, had a few days rest then 6 more!). They're all definitely a bit bigger now and looking like tiny fish at about 2cm long. 2 have also gone darker so I'm wondering if they may be male/female? I'm keeping two of the girls to balance out my boys (3) to girls (currently 2) ratio a bit. One if not both of my adult girls looks like they may drop again in a week or two, so I'm trying to find ways to be organised and get ready. Y'all did warn me about this but it's okay, luckily I have plenty of interest in babies

Your thoughts are appreciated, as always.

babykitten

MrsWolfie said:
Hi all,
Just wondered at what age can I sex endlers livebearers, and how do I tell? I've had a good snoop around but it a lot of advice seems to relate to guppies and mine are pure N class flame tail endlers. My fry are between 2-3 weeks (Mum had two, had a few days rest then 6 more!). They're all definitely a bit bigger now and looking like tiny fish at about 2cm long. 2 have also gone darker so I'm wondering if they may be male/female? I'm keeping two of the girls to balance out my boys (3) to girls (currently 2) ratio a bit. One if not both of my adult girls looks like they may drop again in a week or two, so I'm trying to find ways to be organised and get ready. Y'all did warn me about this but it's okay, luckily I have plenty of interest in babies

Your thoughts are appreciated, as always.
The females will have a gravid spot. Some of mine are almost 3 months old and their gravid spots are easy to see. The males will get color on their bodys (mine got color at two months old).

flyinGourami

Like the above said, females will have a gravid spot. The males are more colorful, with endlers the females don't have much color. Also, females have slightly larger tummies. if you really are unsure, you can search up a video to see. hope this helps

emeraldking

Female endlers will show a tiny gravid spot pretty early. That's how I sex them at an early stage.

MrsWolfie

Thanks all, I have had a look at them and I am pretty sure I have 4 female an 1 male. I've been not very gently nudging my husband towards letting me have a 10 gal as well (current tank is 7.6, plus a 1.8 nursery tank) so if we get a 10 gal, I'll probably up my females to males at 6-3 as the boys have got both girls pregnant. The next few weeks are going to be fun

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom